Bar Risers

MAC

I was going to get bar risers from MCL, but with all the reports of members not getting there stuff I will look elseware.
I am sure there are others out there and I could find them, but wouldn't know anything about them. What other risers have you guys tried and would you get them again? Thanks

Bike
Bonneville T120
Risers

I ordered risers at MCL about 3 to 4 weeks ago. I wrote to the over the weekend and told them I know of Larry's issues and totally understood that things would be slow. However I asked for an update and none was forthcoming.
Dan

Attachments

elizilla

I ordered the SW-Motech brand risers from Twisted Throttle. They sent me a box with one wrong part and I returned them for a full refund, and got the MCL risers instead. The SW-Motech risers worked fine but they didn't look as attractive as the MCL risers. But with no MCL risers available, the SW-Motech risers do at least work fine; you'll be OK with them.

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
No, they fit fine. If I had bought the expensive euopean ones that also rotate back (still a cosideration) I understand you need a longer clutch cable. There is enough freeplay for the SW's.

Dan:cool:

CoolNT

No, but I have two ruptured discs in my neck that can cause shoulder blade, neck and lower back pains. I haven't taken a long enough ride to determine if I need risers yet. So far, no issues. Ironically, maxi scooters and some of the smaller scoots are problematic for me due to the laid back position.

OP
OP

MAC

Thanks Dan, one more ? for you, what height did you get? As soon as the Doctor lets me drive I will go to Twisted T to pick a set up.

I guess I have 2 ?'s. Is Palm Desert any where near 29 Palms, I spent some time there when in the service?

Last edited:
Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
Mac, luckly I don't throw things out too often. I found the invoice from twisted throttle (and the box they came in) they are the 25mm (1 inch). Also I used the Honda top bracket to tighten them down, it looks a little better than the two seprate tops that come with the risers.

29 Stumps, yeah I was there once too in '68 or '69. Played Romell of the Desert with our Amtrac's one summer. And yes it's about 45 or 50 miles from here. The guys I ride with on Wednesday mornings and I took a ride up that way for breakfast today. We usually go to a Cafe call CiCi's in Yucca Valley. Too crowded today for some reason so we went to the Hwy 62 Cafe, it has a nice mini-Harley Museum attached to it. Afterwards we took a cruise through Pioneer Town, the old cowboy movie town then headed for home.

A question for you. Do you live in R.I.? My brother-in-law lives in Wyoming RI and most of my wife's relatives are spread over RI.

OP
OP

MAC

Dan, yes I have been here for 66 years.
It's funny most people here don't know where Wyoming is. They think it's all Hope Vally. LMAO.
Do you ever get out this way? If so pm me and we can get togeather.
Thanks for the info on the risers.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ironically, maxi scooters and some of the smaller scoots are problematic for me due to the laid back position
I've got a good friend who's an ST rider who has serious back issues. His back doctor actually wrote him an official prescription stating that he has to ride 500 miles a week. He has it framed and hanging on his living room wall. His wife tells me that if he doesn't get that riding in, his back is so bad that she can't stand him. So, if he's not getting it done, she throws him out of the house.

He says that his doc went down to the parking lot and looked at him sitting on the ST and said that the slight lean forward was the absolutely perfect position for a person with his back problem.

The "cruiser" position just looks excruciatingly painful to me.

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
Phil,

A Lieutenant I used to work for had a bad back also, used a cane a lot. The most comfortable he could be was cruising on his Harley up in the mountains. It's not as laid back as the chopper style and gave him a lot of support. My last bike, a 2002 Yamaha 1100 Silverado, had an absolutely neutral riding position. Only problem was the thing really didn't like to turn that well the geometry just wasn't there. I'm still working on the riding position on my NT and I still like it better than the Yamahopper.

OP
OP

MAC

Well I made the trip to Twisted Throttle today and picked up my risers.

I found if you don't measure the blocks they are not true. One set of 25mm was 15/16" and another was 1". The 30mm was at 1 3/16" not 1 1/4" so I went with the 30mm. For 3/16" I didn't think I would have a problem with the cables.
They were $ 52.50, $ 56.18 with tax (7%) and there in stock. You could have black or silver, I went with silver. They look well made and I hope they fit.

Does anyone know if Stainless Steal is graded ?? I was going to use them to replace the bolts the blocks came with. Thanks.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Well I made the trip to Twisted Throttle today and picked up my risers.

I found if you don't measure the blocks they are not true. One set of 25mm was 15/16" and another was 1". The 30mm was at 1 3/16" not 1 1/4" so I went with the 30mm. For 3/16" I didn't think I would have a problem with the cables.
They were $ 52.50, $ 56.18 with tax (7%) and there in stock. You could have black or silver, I went with silver. They look well made and I hope they fit.

Does anyone know if Stainless Steal is graded ?? I was going to use them to replace the bolts the blocks came with. Thanks.
Yes all steel fasteners are graded. The non marked stuff is the lower end. Too hard will snap rather than bend, something around a 5 should be good

Discret

Hello ,

I have put 29mm risers on my bike without changing a brake tube .I found them on Ebay France 20€ .From time to time there are other ones to be sold.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Lori,

The stock cables and hoses can handle a 25 mm (1-inch) rise but if you get much beyond that, the clutch cable needs to be changed and I'm not sure about the front brake hose. Because of the angle of the forks, adding risers brings the grips closer to the rider. In ref to hand cramps, have you tried to exercise one hand at a time (open/close fingers, move wrist to different angles, etc) while riding? Naturally you can only do that on a stretch of highway that is flat and smooth!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Don, you're going to get that thing all screwed together yet!

Top Bottom