Bar Risers

Igo

I'm going to see alot of 500 mile days. I'm probably going to have to go the 2 inch risers. I can be fine as I am but I'll have to get off the bike every 120 miles or so.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'll have to get off the bike every 120 miles or so.

Shoot, Igo, you'll have to get off the bike every 200 miles or so, no matter what you do. You will be running out of gas if you try to go beyond that.

Igo

Shoot, Igo, you'll have to get off the bike every 200 miles or so, no matter what you do. You will be running out of gas if you try to go beyond that.
I know but I'd like to be able to go that 200 miles if I needed to.

Igo

Those are just plain slick. I bookmarked the page as this may be worth further investigation.

elizilla

Well, if you have to replace the brake hydraulic line, you'd probably just go with braided steel lines, which is an upgrade as well as letting you go longer. Maybe $75 or so for that. Get the one with the plastic sleeve over the braided steel, to protect the surfaces it rubs on, and get a weird color so that everyone will know you have installed a performance part. :)

Someone posted a part number to a Transalp clutch cable that is longer - price that at your favorite Honda parts seller.

I don't know if you would need to lengthen the wiring harness to the switchpods. Hope not. Other than that, there's nothing else you'd have to lengthen unless you have heated grips, driving light switches, or other farkles that require wiring going up the bars.

bicyclist

Let me throw this into the mix. You can buy a handlebar for less than the cost of a set of risers. If you're going 2" over and have to replace cables and hoses, wouldn't it make sense to replace the stock bar, get the rise and bend that you want, and not have to look at an ugly set of risers? Granted that it's easier to put on a set of 1" risers than go to the trouble of moving grips and levers to a new set of bars, but if you have to replace cables and hoses anyway, you're more than halfway there.

It's what I did with my F800 and my new-to-me used handlebar for my future NT arrived yesterday and is sitting on my bench downstairs.

edit: Katherine, I plugged that Transalp PN into Ron Ayers' site last night and it was like $12 or $13. Of course, it would probably need to be ordered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Regarding those "infinitely variable bar risers" it would sure be nice to have that kind of flexibility.

As far as rotating the bars back, Rick, what it does when you rotate the bars down is this: the bars don't just go straight out from the clamps. They angle up and back in the stock position. When you rotate them down, that angle moves the grips back toward you some. I've rotated mine back and down as far as I can without pinching my thumbs between the bars and the tank and it improved everything -- back, shoulders, wrists, neck.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:

elizilla

Here's where we need David, with his video camera. I am SO not a videographer.

But yes, Phil is on the same page as me. If you roll the bars towards you, the grips end up lower and closer to you, and at a different angle, than if you put them as high as you possibly can. And this may be better for you, even though it's lower, because it's closer. I mean, think about it when you are sitting at your desk. Isn't the keyboard more comfortable, closer to your lap, than it would be if you set it on a shoebox a foot out onto the desk? It's not the height of the bars that is making your back hurt - it's how far away they are, and having to support the weight of your arms as you reach for them. Lower and closer may be less of a strain. (Though there is also such a thing as too close, too, but I don't think you're going to achieve that with the NT. :) )

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I hope it works out for you. Back early in my history with the bike, when I did my SS1K, I struggled with that pain between my shoulder blades. But I haven't felt that close to 9 months now. Our bodies adapt ... usually ... sometimes.

Igo

I had the shoulder symptoms with the stock bars and decided that the problem was actually the angle of my hands. Rotating the bars towards me, put the grips at a far better angle, but then they hit the tank at full lock. The 1" risers let me rotate the bars without having them hit the tank. I have them rotated down and back as far as possible without fouling on the tank. And then the brake and clutch levers rotated down as much as possible on the bars. Much better wrist position. No more shoulder trouble.

If your lower back hurts and you think it's from forward lean, try moving your feet back on the pegs. It makes the forward lean much more natural and comfortable. If you are hooking your heels on the pegs, it is harder on your back.
I changed my 1 inch risers to the 1.2 to get even more pull back on my NT. I just clear the tanks and my levers are as far forward as can go. It is MUCH better but I still have problems after a long ride. I'm going to try to foot position things as it is a habit for me to place the edge of my heel on the pegs. I think Rick and I are just alike in this respect.

Igo

Rick, remember the closest your reach will ever get is a straight line. When I installed my risers I loosened the bolts, pulled back on the bars until everything was taut. Most un-fortunately, in this position, the bars would crash into the gas tank when secured. The very best a tall guy like you can do is pull those bars into as straight a line as you can get then raise them to clear the tank. You are going to be adjusted exactly like Katherine and I are. The funny thing about taller risers are that at 1 inch, the bottom of your controls clear the tank down in the dip in the tank surface. When I put the taller risers on, the bottom of the controls landed up and out of the dip in the tank sheet metal, disallowing me any more roll back than I had with the 1 inch risers. Lets take a real good look at where the bottom of the controls would hit the tank with two inch risers before either buy the 2 inch risers.

Igo

I hope it works out for you. Back early in my history with the bike, when I did my SS1K, I struggled with that pain between my shoulder blades. But I haven't felt that close to 9 months now. Our bodies adapt ... usually ... sometimes.
I think also that you are absolutely right Phil. To some degree, probably a rather large degree, we are using mustles that we haven't used before. They will strengthen and we will acclimate to the new riding form. I remember distinctly that this happened for me on my last bike.

Igo

I din't like those throttle things because you are forced to place your hands a certain way and relaxing the hand was the idea in the first place.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I had something similar to a crampbuster when I did my SS1K last spring. I sure have appreciated the Throttlemeister since!

lcseds

I have a Tak Lok. Same concept as the BrakeAway. A little less expensive, but still made in USA. I think it looks more streamlined and it operates more smoothly than my BrakeAway did. The smallest adapter wasn't quite small enough for the NT, but I think I ended up wrapping a piece of double-sided exterior use tape around the attachment spot, and it's been just fine. The VP of marketing offered to send me the proper size adapter once they get one manufactured. I don't know if heated grips are an issue for it or not (I don't have any). I think it would be worth contacting them to find out. I'm really happy with mine!

http://www.takonix.com/
Now that looks interesting. Thanks for that link. What does the piece that extends over the brake lever do? How long ago did you buy it? In other words, would that adapter be available now maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter

I got mine in no time at all and everything fits fine.
Ride safe
Peter

lerickso

Hi Joe,

Where in WI do you live? I'm about as far north as you can get and still be in the State? Just got my NT700 last week and am enjoying very much.

Silver Ranger

Hi Joe,

Where in WI do you live? I'm about as far north as you can get and still be in the State? Just got my NT700 last week and am enjoying very much.
I am in the Madison area. If you’re a hockey fan I would think you’re happy about the Bulldogs. Me I am a Sioux fan and not happy that they could not pull it together last week.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Today, on my lunch break, I installed MCL risers AND the Cee Bailey 2+ light grey windshield. Did not ride yet with this setup, but sitting on the bike I can feel a big difference. I am expecting a more relaxed ride, and I can now see through the windshield at the highest setting, although I am likely to use a lower setting except when it is raining. I will get some riding in today after work, and will add to this thread when I get a real experience with this new setup. Ideally, I probably should have installed one farcle at a time to really appreciate each one by itself, but hey, I was in the mood to wrench.

freezingalaskan

Top Bottom