Battery gone-how much and how to?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The NT starts so fast that I didn't realize the battery was weak until the clock reset on me. ARKNT made the previous statement about how quickly his NT starts. My NT usually never starts on the first 2 - 3 times that the engine turns over. I usually release the start switch at that point and after a few seconds I will crank it again and after 2 - 3 turns of the engine it will start. Is this what others experience or do I need to have my bike looked at?
Mine starts pretty much instantly

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If its the original battery it is suspect. They don't last much more then 3-4 years and that's if they are being cared for.

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
On Saturday (Feb. 14) was looking forward to a ride around the area but the battery on the NT wasn't cooperating (battery approx. 4 years old) Went to our local Honda dealership to buy a new one and was told MSRP is $244. Yikes!! But would extend a special deal to me because that's where I bought my NT. That "special" deal was $188 plus taxes. I couldn't pay that much for a replacement battery without further research. Told them I might be back but was going to look elsewhere first. I went to our "local" Suzuki, Yamaha, Victory dealer who is 45 miles away and asked about a replacement for the OEM Yuasa YTZ14S. Their quoted price for the YTZ14S was $128 plus tax but they had a BikeMaster battery that would fit the NT (part number BTZ14S) for $89.21 (after taxes). Needless to say, bought the BikeMaster, came back home and it fit with just a bit of filing on the positive battery cable to get it lined up with the battery post. I believe that 90 miles (round trip) paid for itself with money left over for a coffee on the return trip. And as a side note while at the Suzuki/Yamaha/Victory dealer they showed me the new Lithium battery for motorcycles. When they handed it to me I thought it was a demo battery because it was so light. They said they're kind of pricey now but eventually all bikes will be using the Lithium and prices will go down.

Wanda P.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
And as a side note while at the Suzuki/Yamaha/Victory dealer they showed me the new Lithium battery for motorcycles. When they handed it to me I thought it was a demo battery because it was so light. They said they're kind of pricey now but eventually all bikes will be using the Lithium and prices will go down.

Wanda P.
Yeah, these things are feather-light. I have a couple of them. The only weakness of these types is cold-weather starting (i.e., temps below ~40 degF need a bit of technique ), but this has been improving lately. On my FJR the weight differential is over 8 pounds.

Rich, stealing the thread a bit. I saw your bike at Lynnwood Powersports while I was looking at the Yamaha FJ09. I went back a few times and the dealer they had sold your bike. It was spotless when I saw it and I hope it went to a nice family.

Terry

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
We have a replacement battery for the NT at O'Reilly Auto parts for less than the Yuasa OE battery. Works well in my NT.

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If you pay less than $100 for a battery especially those $69 ones most likely they are made in China or another third world country.

I have found the quality to be very inconsistent and perfer to purchase batteries made elsewhere.

The last one I bought was manufactured in Japan as a Yuasa private brand. The private brand version was about 20% less than the Yuasa brand but its still cost over $100.

That's not to say all China produced batteries are bad and all Yuasa batteries are good. Its just been my general observation.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I second Warren, a battery is not one thing you want to skimp on. can lead to premature problems. I would get a yuasa or that king of replacement. I actually will be getting one around May, that will be 3.5 yrs and I'm planning a "go west young man trip" in June/July, and don't want batt problems

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
What is the part number?
The part# is ETZ14S and the price in this market is $99.99. Our batteries are made by East Penn Mfg and carry a one year nationwide warranty. The battery is made in Taiwan.

Mike

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Thanks Mike, I may be looking at one of those.
I took the battery out of my NT last fall (as usual) for winter storage. But this time I installed it in my construction trailer to run the interior lights. I plan to get a new one for the NT next spring.

Question Mike - My local parts store is Parts City. Isn't that a sub-division of O'Reilly?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Thanks Mike, I may be looking at one of those.
I took the battery out of my NT last fall (as usual) for winter storage. But this time I installed it in my construction trailer to run the interior lights. I plan to get a new one for the NT next spring.

Question Mike - My local parts store is Parts City. Isn't that a sub-division of O'Reilly?
Yup! Parts City stores are independently owned but are supplied with parts through the O'Reilly distribution system. They have the same brands as we have.

Mike

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yeah, these things are feather-light. I have a couple of them. The only weakness of these types is cold-weather starting (i.e., temps below ~40 degF need a bit of technique ), but this has been improving lately. On my FJR the weight differential is over 8 pounds.
Rich,

How low a temp have you operated with your Lithium battery. I will be needing a new one this year and have thought about one of those.

Charlie,

You may remember this thread, http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?7698-LiFePO4-revisited-EarthX-ETX36C&highlight=billydoc, where I reported on my new lithium battery a year or so ago. I just wanted you to know that since putting that battery in my bike I have never failed to start within less than a second on the first crank. The coldest temperature was a few weeks ago at 18 degrees F. This morning was no challenge at all at 27 degrees.

Perhaps the biggest challenge I've subjected the battery to was when I inadvertly left the key on in bright sunlight and didn't return to the bike for about an hour and a half. The headlight appeared to still be at full brightness and it started right up after that drain. (I had turned the bike on to get an odometer reading after doing some maintenance and forgot to turn it back off.)

I love this new technology!

Bill

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Thanks Bill. That's kinda what I was hoping. I've heard of too many of the earlier ones that just did not work in colder weather. And I know that part of it is sizing issues too.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I have a Battery Tender Lithiam that came from ebay for $95. It is -4 below zero right now and my bike is on the porch out side. I just went out and turned the key and it started right up. so much for the unproven tales. Ron

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Not too unproven. Several folks I know of who had the Shorai could not start their bikes in below freezing conditions.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
The more you crank lithium batteries the warmer they become and the more power they generate. So, in cold weather, they could possibly take 2 or three goes to start the bike.

The reverse is somewhat true for lead-acid. In cold weather, if they don't start on the first couple of goes you're usually stuffed.

So, provided the lithium batteries have enough power to turn over the engine, they are more likely to fire up the bike...

Interestingly, if the Lithium batteries won't turn over the engine in cold weather, turn on the lights to help warm the battery. Then give it a go :confused:

OK, severe cold is different and special cold weather batteries are required by all vehicles.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Yup. I'm one of them. The Shorai had SIGNIFICANT voltage drop when cranking my 2009 GL1800 Goldwing at temps below 40F. The voltage drop was significant enough that although the bike did slowly crank and start, the Navigation screen remained off (a symptom of low starting voltage). That is not acceptable cold weather performance.

At temps approaching 30F, the bike would not crank over quick enough to start. That is after "warming" the battery by burning the headlights for a few minutes. I even cranked my heated gear a bit to really put some pull on the battery. No improvement. Glad I was at home. I just took the truck to work.

Perhaps for smaller motors requiring less power to start (and less sensitive to voltage drop), these lithium iron batteries perform fine in cold temps. Maybe over the last year, Shorai has significantly improved their performance in cold weather (I'm skeptical). Don't use it on a Wing if you ride in temps below 50F.

For a vehicle that pulls a small voltage while sitting dormant and where 15lbs of weight loss is insignificant to the performance of the vehicle, I see zero advantage to using a lithium iron battery.

Now I do have a lithium iron battery sitting outside (sans charger) hooked up to my Yamaha stand-by generator. The ability for the battery to sit unattended for 6+ months without loosing any charge is fantastic for that application. I don't have to worry about keeping the battery "tended".

Not too unproven. Several folks I know of who had the Shorai could not start their bikes in below freezing conditions.

Top Bottom