Battery gone-how much and how to?

Is $159 for a replacement battery reasonable or too much. SciNTillation has a 3 year old battery and it shows today.

PS: anything tricky to getting it out? Shop manual looks straight forward. Thanks

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
If you can wait for delivery you should be able to do way better on price.

Easy to replace. You'll need to reset your clock and will lose trip odometer settings, mileage accumulator (which is pretty worthless anyway). You can avoid resetting/loss if you need to by carefully using some temporary connections, but it's easier just to reset the clock and go on.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
If you're going to shell out that much for a battery, stick one of these in:

http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/8cell.php

I have a four cell in my Rebel and just put an 8 cell in one of the GS's yesterday. The 8 cell has been sitting on the shelf for 6 months. Dropped it in, hooked it up, and it fired up on the first try. Don't ever have to put a BT on it.

As the bike batteries need replacing, these are what's going in them.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
$159 is about right for an OEM spec battery. You can drop it in and it will fit and work as you expect. There are other types of batteries some claiming to be superior to the OEM battery that you can get but often the don't fit the same and require some rigging.

OP
OP
If you can wait for delivery you should be able to do way better on price.

Easy to replace. You'll need to reset your clock and will lose trip odometer settings, mileage accumulator (which is pretty worthless anyway). You can avoid resetting/loss if you need to by carefully using some temporary connections, but it's easier just to reset the clock and go on.
Oddly enough I lost all the odometer settings sometime between the time it went buzzzzz "I ain't starting" and when I put a trickle charger on the terminals without disconnecting the battery. Not sure if that is exactly recommended by the book but it got it started anyway.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Oddly enough I lost all the odometer settings sometime between the time it went buzzzzz "I ain't starting" and when I put a trickle charger on the terminals without disconnecting the battery. Not sure if that is exactly recommended by the book but it got it started anyway.
Whoah. That's pretty dead, all right. I put in one of these:

http://www.shoraipower.com/

Requires putting in appropriate foam shim material (supplied). I had to rotate the positive terminals a bit to get it to fir. But it's about 6 pounds lighter than the stock battery.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Oddly enough I lost all the odometer settings sometime between the time it went buzzzzz "I ain't starting" and when I put a trickle charger on the terminals without disconnecting the battery.
I knew I needed to replace mine when my clock reset while cranking it over. The NT starts so fast that I didn't realize the battery was weak until the clock reset on me.
The OEM battery is pricey. It is sealed and sits on it's side.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My original battery doesn't sit on its side, Brad. Are you sure yours does. The terminals are on top...on one side of the top, but the top not a side of the battery.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
My original battery doesn't sit on its side, Brad. Are you sure yours does. The terminals are on top...on one side of the top, but the top not a side of the battery.
In the NT the battery sits at slant, not level. It doesn't really sit on it's side but is sealed and maybe gelled inside to allow it being installed at the slant it is.
I think that is why it is more costly than normal.

Brad

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Actually, it does sit basically on its back. I went through this confusion when I replaced mine, as this has the effect that the terminals appear to be on the wrong ends when it's upright.

OP
OP
Lorien, do you have a battery tender connected to the bike? If not, now's a good time to install one, since you'll already have the battery terminals disconnected when installing your new battery.
Actually no. We don't get much winter around here and I ride almost daily until lately so I never was concerned with using a battery tender. May change as I am riding less.

pizzaboy

Hi guys may i know are these the signs of a weak battery such as fuel guage needle drop, clock & trip meter gets reset upon cranking the start button?

skiper

Pizzaboy -- I can't answer about the clock/trip but my fuel gauge needle used to drop about 1/4 tank intermittantly and go back to normal after a few starts etc -- your question reminded me it has stopped doing so this summer. Last season it was bad and I needed to calculate mileage if wanting full range .. My battery is original on the third season .. There is a way to do a load test with an ohm meter but I"m not confident to tell you how, soon you will know ..

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Pizzaboy, it sounds like it's time to think about buying a battery.

I have generally gotten replacement batteries from Battery Mart, and have had OK results. I replaced the OEM on my NT last year with a Battery Mart for I think about $70 free shipping. They are located in Virginia so for me delivery was quick. Yes the NT battery is placed on its side and yes the battery needs to be sealed, but the Battery Mart option is sealed and has worked fine. Only issue I had is that because the NT leads fit again the side of the battery posts, I had to hacksaw off about 1/16 of an inch from the NT's positive battery lead to get it to fit the Battery Mart. No real problem with this, just a minor adjustment.

Bike
2011 NT
Interesting. when I picked up my 2011 a couple weeks ago the battery was toast so the seller went into the Honda dealer and paid $90.00 for a new one.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
When my battery was dieing the clock did reset while cranking so I would look at your battery. I went with the Yuasa original. Pretty pricey as I recall.

Brad

Just picked up a "Scorpion" AGM battery this month from batterystuff.com. (This outfit was mentioned in a previous battery thread).
They also sell a 'Motocross' brand which is Yuasa's private label. "Scorpion" was $69 shipped, no tax. 'Motocross' is $121 shipped, no tax. Date code appeares to be April of this year. Shipping is priority mail, 2/3 day. I figured they both have a 1 year warranty, so I saved the $52.
Don't know if the bike ever cranked this fast! So far I'm happy.

pizzaboy

IMG-20140607-WA0159.jpg

Oem yuasa (japan) cost S$140
Got a better deal with Motobatt S$105 comes with 1 year warranty.

Top Bottom