BreakAway Motorcycle Cruise Control

I had the brakeaway on my last bike the Honda VTX. I'm actually much happier with the Throttlemeister on my NT. After about three months of use the Brakeaway didn't work any more. I think it needed to be reset somehow and I didn't know how to do it. The TMeister is very simple to use. I think Phil has one on his NT also. The costof TM is about half of the cost of the Brakeaway.

Terry

I made the phone call, and they are definately interested in getting a test bike. The tech said that it would take about 1 1/2 hours to install, and if it worked well, they would take 50% off the sale price.

Then I told him that I had HindaLine heated grips. He replied that this was a deal breaker, as they don't recommend using their cruise control with heated grips.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
think Phil has one on his NT also.
I do. If you order a Throttlemeister, be sure to specify if it has Hondaline heated grips (there's something different about the throttle barrel on them; it requires one different part). I've had mine get loose enough that it won't hold the lock a couple of times. Cindi Knox told me that the instructions said to use (blue, IIRC) Loctite. I never did follow instructions very well. :)

I'm very happy with the Throttlemeister. The NT's power/torque curves seem to allow a throttle lock "cruise control" device to work much better than they did on my Concours. I have to do very little "tweaking" of the throttle to maintain speed within a couple mph of my target.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
vista cruise on other bikes, I wasn't happy with them, they didn't hold after locking them.
That was my experience, too, when I had them on my first Concours. I think what happened with them was that the screw that was the adjustment was a brass scerw and it just stretched if you had it tight enough to hold the throtte locked. I ended up with an Audiovox electronic cruise control on the Concours, but the Throttlemeister works fine on the NT -- way better than the Vista Cruise did on the Concours.

elizilla

I have had that trouble with Vista Cruises, before I studied them more closely and figured out the tricks. They are as follows:

1. Get rid of as much friction as possible. Trim / slide the grip to a point where things move freely, spray some silicone spray in there, do a little grinding and filing on the Vista-Cruise parts to remove friction, etc.

2. Get them firmly attached to the bike side - augment the parts that keep it in place, with some strategic cable ties or maybe some glue, so they don't move in relation to the bike, only in relation to the throttle tube.

I did these things to mine, and it now holds very well, without causing any binding. But they are by no means perfect out of the box, even when they fit the bike correctly.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have had a Vista Cruise on all of my bikes. On the NT I set it up so the lever was on top, the longer plastic bit in front of the red kill switch. One of these days will get a real cruise control :)

The Vista does the job well if you fit it to the grip.

On the Guzzi I fittet a new nylon part and screwed it to the switch gear housing.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Hi, this is FYI People,

I spoke with the BreakAway factory this afternoon and they reiterated their claim that none of their models work on the NT700. Just for drill I sent copies of the text and photos that Paul posted to see what they might have to say. (Out of respect for privacy I did not include Paul's name, he can do that if he chooses.)

I told them I would be able to bring my bike to their shop for measuring, testing, etc., if they want and for them to let me know. I'll post whatever response I get. I should note I have one of their units from a Kawasaki Vulcan I owned briefly last summer but sadly it cannot be modified to fit the NT. That said I'll probably sell it on CL or Ebay but first need to get a list of the various models it works on as there are several.

LL75 :D

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Hi, this is FYI People,

I spoke with the BreakAway factory this afternoon and they reiterated their claim that none of their models work on the NT700. Just for drill I sent copies of the text and photos that Paul posted to see what they might have to say. (Out of respect for privacy I did not include Paul's name, he can do that if he chooses.)

I told them I would be able to bring my bike to their shop for measuring, testing, etc., if they want and for them to let me know. I'll post whatever response I get. I should note I have one of their units from a Kawasaki Vulcan I owned briefly last summer but sadly it cannot be modified to fit the NT. That said I'll probably sell it on CL or Ebay but first need to get a list of the various models it works on as there are several.

LL75 :D

Mongo confused. I see installations of this unit on this thread. And having had one on my ST1300 it's not clear why it wouldn't work on the NT. Is this only in the context of heated grips?

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Mongo confused. I see installations of this unit on this thread. And having had one on my ST1300 it's not clear why it wouldn't work on the NT. Is this only in the context of heated grips?
That's why I sent them Paul's posts; so they could see his installation and read his comments. It's not unheard of for end users to come up with their own solutions when the manufacturer says "it cain't be dun..." Ingenuity truly is the mother of invention isn't it? I'm thinking they'll have an interesting response.

LL75 ;)

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Re: BrreakAway CC installed pics

Here are some pictures of the BreakAway Cruise Control unit installed on my NT700. I tried it out this morning on a ride, and it works flawlessly!
Riders view: push the lower end in with your thumb to engage. The lever above it will release, as will the brake lever.
Main assembly shows the overall installation. It's a well made unit.
Mounting system shows how the unit anchors to the brake lever pivot bolt.
Hi Paul,

This is truly old thread but just to dial my part in I ordered the kit today using the same part number. It should be here this coming week and I'll use your post as an instructional guide. I installed one of these on my Vulcan 900LT a couple of years back and really liked it so I'm looking forward to having one on the NT.

Thanks for posting the installation data and pics.

LL75:)

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I have one of these and there are a couple of negatives for the NT.

1. It takes up some real estate on the right handgrip. The NT having slightly smaller handgrips than the ST's, I find that when combined with even the slim cramp buster, there's a sensation of my hand having little lateral space.
2. Depending on the up/down placement of your front brake lever and the position of the bars, the portion of the assembly that protrudes below the grip can contact the cowl at full right deflection, scratching the paint.

But it works great once installed.

Top Bottom