BreakAway Motorcycle Cruise Control

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I have one of these and there are a couple of negatives for the NT.

1. It takes up some real estate on the right handgrip. The NT having slightly smaller handgrips than the ST's, I find that when combined with even the slim cramp buster, there's a sensation of my hand having little lateral space.
2. Depending on the up/down placement of your front brake lever and the position of the bars, the portion of the assembly that protrudes below the grip can contact the cowl at full right deflection, scratching the paint.

But it works great once installed.
1) +1 on your observation about the space they require but of course that's self evident and I'm thinking it's a fair trade-off for the benefit received. Since I don't use a crampbuster I'm confident I'll still have adequate room for my fat hand.

2) Thanks for that, I'll try to adjust it so it doesn't contact the tank. I didn't have that occur on the Kawi but I can see where it might on different bikes.

I agree with your comment "it works great", that's my feeling too and in the end isn't that what it's all about? The only gripe I had with the Kawi's setup was on occasion I'd accidently nudge the "off" button while at speed and it would shut down. The first time that occurred was while passing and it startled me until I realized what happened. That served as a notice to shut it off even during a lazy overtake. Life's lessons learned, eh? :eek1:

Best,

LL75

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Part of the adjustment is to be sure that when overriding the hold of the brakeaway it's not slipping between the grip and the rubber strip. This can happen if the force between the grip rubber is too loose or the clamp pressure too tight. Squishy-type handgrips can be a problem, here. You want the slipping to occur between the clamp and the metal ring.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I ended up removing the crampbuster when I put on my cruise. I adjust the cruise so I can fairly easily adjust it while "locked". So, when I hit the interstate I 'lock' it and keep it that way. Adjust the speed incrementally as needed during a trip. Anytime I needed more throttle motion I'd 'unlock' the throttle. In those cases the cramp buster was not used anyway.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I won't go through the whole sequence, but I realized yesterday I don't need the crampbuster since replacing my handgrips with Pro-Grips. These are slightly thicker than the OEMs and have some vibration-damping. But they also have a non-slip surface and the friction with my gloved hand is such that it holds fine with my hand just resting, relaxed, on the grip.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
My BrakeAway Cruise Control arrived and the plastic O-ring is mounted so I'm waiting till tomorrow for the glue to set up, then I'll finish the installation. Thanks much to Paul and Rich for your input and advice, I know this is going to be a great farkle. Now I'm going to use the new box (sans model #) to pack up the one from my Vulcan and advertise it on the Kawasaki Cruiser site, probably ask $100 for it. Out with the old, in with the new. While I'm at it maybe I can find that Crampbuster I tried out on the Ducati, I don't think I tossed it and someone may want it. :eek1:

Anyway when I have the beastie all dialed in I'll report back but in truth probably won't be able to add anything to Paul or Rich's reports.

LL75 :)

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I won't go through the whole sequence, but I realized yesterday I don't need the crampbuster since replacing my handgrips with Pro-Grips. These are slightly thicker than the OEMs and have some vibration-damping. But they also have a non-slip surface and the friction with my gloved hand is such that it holds fine with my hand just resting, relaxed, on the grip.
Hey Rich,
Did you replace your grips after you installed the BrakeAway unit? Just curious how that went if you did.
LL75

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
At the same time. Just didn't notice at the time I no longer needed the crampbuster.
Which Pro-Grips did you get and do you like them? I didn't realize how many after market grips are out there, zillions of them it seems.

Thanx

LL75

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Which Pro-Grips did you get and do you like them? I didn't realize how many after market grips are out there, zillions of them it seems.

Thanx

LL75
The superbike 699's. Very comfortable. The only downside is the throttle grip needs to be trimmed on the outside end so it doesn't drag on the bar end weight. They also make slightly shorter ones (719's) that might be a little different in feel.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Just finished installing the BrakeAway cruise control, must have taken all of 20 minutes. The kit that I received went on without any parts substitutions; like it was designed for the NT700. Anyone who wants an easy solution to their cruise control needs should consider this one, at $207 delivered it's a bit pricey but worth it I think. I took a few pics but they're not as crisp as Paul's so take a look at his. I'll post a couple of the box the kit came in if anyone needs confirmation of what model to order.

LL75 :)

Attachments

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
A followup on this thread. I had a Brakeaway on my NT and it worked fine. Used it on my CO trip last month. I also had one on my ST1300 that I previously owned. I saw a comment earlier about "notching". This is not accurate. It's friction-based like all the others.

However, on the NT I decided that the 3/4" of handgrip it occupies is too much for me. With the handgrips as short as they are, my throttle hand winds up on the bar weight all the time. So I removed the Brakeaway and installed a Throttlemeister. But to do so required me to change my perception of how to best use these devices.

All these years I'd treated these devices primarily as "set throttle position, then lock with the CC". The Brakeaway is great at this, but doing this with the TM is impossible, as it's impossible to engage it without moving the throttle (on an ST, BTW, a little goes a LONG way). But considering it as just a mechanism to preset a certain amount of friction in the system and then adjusting the throttle as necessary works for me. Though it does change the process of smoothly engaging or disengaging from a single thumb-push (or brake activation) of the BA to a coordinated clutch/throttle/TM hand-jive.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Rich, I've got a "technique" that involves holding the throttle with my index finger and thumb while I roll on the Throttlemeister with my other three fingers. I usually have it set about where I want it and usually it all happens pretty smoothly.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Rich, I've got a "technique" that involves holding the throttle with my index finger and thumb while I roll on the Throttlemeister with my other three fingers. I usually have it set about where I want it and usually it all happens pretty smoothly.
I've never been able to pull anything like that off. I did have a TM for awhile, years ago, on my first ST, and I tried. But the least little throttle opening on that bike meant an extra 20 MPH. So the hand-jive method for me:

To engage: Simultaneously release throttle and pull clutch handle in. Set the TM, then bring the throttle up and engage clutch appropriately.

To disengage: Right hand on TM. Simultaneously pull clutch and release TM (which releases the throttle). Then open the throttle and engage to clutch as appropriate.

While engaged: Minor adjustments to throttle as necessary to deal with traffic, hills, and other circumstances.

The hand-jive isn't as tricky nor does it take as long as it sounds. And no, it's not distracting. I'm good with it. Others may not be.

tawilke46

I have used the same method as Phil with the TM on my Pacific Coast.
On the NT I have just reached over with my left hand to hold the throttle position and engage the TM with my right hand. Can do it quickly with no control problems so far!
Do the same procedure to release the TM. Releasing the TM is slightly quicker than setting it.
I then adjust the TM as traffic and hills and wind demand.
Sure does help on a long ride to let the right hand relax a while.

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
A followup on this thread. I had a Brakeaway on my NT and it worked fine. Used it on my CO trip last month. I also had one on my ST1300 that I previously owned. I saw a comment earlier about "notching". This is not accurate. It's friction-based like all the others.

However, on the NT I decided that the 3/4" of handgrip it occupies is too much for me. With the handgrips as short as they are, my throttle hand winds up on the bar weight all the time. So I removed the Brakeaway and installed a Throttlemeister. But to do so required me to change my perception of how to best use these devices.
Couple of questions.

Rich, do you still have the Brakeaway and would you like to sell it?

The next question is for Paul and anyone else running the Brakeaway for the ST on our NT's. Have you had any issues, and if so what were they?

Thanks in advance for the feed back everyone!!! :wink:

Last edited:
Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Couple of questions.

Rich, do you still have the Brakeaway and would you like to sell it?

The next question is for Paul and anyone else running the Brakeaway for the ST on our NT's. Have you had any issues, and if so what were they?

Thanks in advance for the feed back everyone!!! :wink:
I do still have it and would sell it. But be advised I don't have the best one for the NT. Takes some juking to get the throttle grip and the BA adapter clamped right. No problem with the stuff to attach to the brake clamp and it works OK.

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I do still have it and would sell it. But be advised I don't have the best one for the NT. Takes some juking to get the throttle grip and the BA adapter clamped right. No problem with the stuff to attach to the brake clamp and it works OK.
Rich, I sent you a PM.

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
The only "issue" I've experienced is that the engagement lock seems to vary in tension a bit with temperature. If I set the CC lock (small, flat spring steel piece with an engagement hole) for proper tension in cold weather, it seems to slip a bit when engaged in hot weather. Maybe I'm just picky. Other than that, it's great.
That was my exact experience on my Meanstreak. By far the Brakeaway is the best/safest throttle lock I have ever used. Thanks for taking the time to figure out how to make one work on our NT's

Top Bottom