Dreams

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Some of the best roads are ones that go almost nowhere. M-119 (Tunnel to Trees) in north lower of Michigan. If you ever in area and miss that road a mistake. Many of the Old US (many now have new with the same name) highways are a very nice ride. Sure at times you run into traffic, but you can stop and check out the local area. I many times stop to check out the county seat building, (they don't make them like that any more).
I've taken the tour of County Buildings, the marble floors and wow the rest rooms (many Midwest like Ohio, Indiana), you might be riding a quite road with nothing then a small town with a huge building. 1000 mile days not for me, back roads offer so much. I've been trying to ride all the Otsegos I can find. Ohio had 2, I was amazed when I find there where many named similar to area I live.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
My buddy and I last June rode from Portland Oregon to the redwoods in northern California, almost all the way to San Francisco. I planned the route and we took I5 down to Ca. then up 101 the whole way home. My buddy likes to ride interstates, so he can 'get where he is going' but I think this trip changed his mind. After we spent a day on hwy 101 up the Ca and Or coast he became upset that we hadn't ridden down 101 as well. Traffic was bad in some spots but the old hwy more than made up for it.
I ride (commute) every day there isn't snow or ice and that is all the 'so I can get where I am going' I care for. Otherwise I don't really care where we are going, or if we get 'there'. I just like the ride.

I went down the pacific coast hiway last April on to trip to San Franciso. It's only about a 200 mile ride, but took over eight hours because of the multiple curves.

Terry

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I was on my "Epic Ride," back in '13, Rick Ryan ( he was "FalconAF" on the Forum) joined me when I started the Four Corners Tour in Blaine, WA. We rode out to Whidbey Island, took the ferry to Port Townsend, and then rode out through Port Angeles, Forks, and then down to Astoria, OR. The next day we started down the Oregon Coast but by the time we got south of Beaver, we decided we had enough of the stop-and-go traffic that seemed to take up 5 or more miles near all of the coastal towns. So we took SR-22 across to Salem, and then endured I-5 down to Yreka, CA.

After spending the night, we went back north a ways and got onto CA-96 through Happy Camp to Willow Creek, where we got on to CA-299 and took it to 101 just north of Arcata. We stayed on 101 till we got to Leggett. 96 and 299 had both been outstanding roads with mile after mile of magnificent scenery and great twisties. But CA-1 from Leggett to the coast was several orders of magnitude more intense. In fact, it nearly flummoxed me completely. I'm sure fatigue contributed to it, but I was ready to stop before we were half way to the coast. But we finally made it.

The next day, riding from Ft Bragg down to San Francisco, I figured out, with Rick's coaching and teaching, that I had started looking at the highway right in front of the bike. He kept telling me to look farther ahead and gradually, by the time we got to about Point Arena, I was regaining my rhythm and enjoying the ride again. CA-1 from Leggett back to US-101 just north of the Golden Gate is one of the best roads I've ever ridden. Put it on your "Bucket List!"

101 from Carmel down to Morro Bay is almost as much scenic fun.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
From Kenmore Square to my back yard 20 is an amazing chameleon. My ride will start in Bristol, RI and turn around in Roy ,WA. Or little to middle. I am already having fun.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
From Kenmore Square to my back yard 20 is an amazing chameleon. My ride will start in Bristol, RI and turn around in Roy ,WA. Or little to middle. I am already having fun.
It's gonna' be a GREAT trip. If you time it right, you'd only have to jog off of 20 for a little bit to join us in Spearfish!!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
My advice is to pick a date on the 2017 calendar and just GO!

If you wait until weather & personal situations are 100% perfect, you'll never go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Will be driving to Columbus this Friday and spending my "lunch-ladies week off" there. A visit to Iron Pony is a no brainer, taking the wife's heated steering wheel and seats machine rather than riding this time.
Anyone up for lunch at the Old Bag of Nails in Westerville, OH ?

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
One thing in area of Columbus is good food. If you get a chance a visit to AMA Museum is a nice trip, not as good a Wheels Trough Time, or the National but good trip once in a while. Columbus is a growing area, not a good place to ride a motorcycle in (once out of metro area great riding). Iron Pony has really grown, lots of motorcycles and checking the discount bins you can get a really good deal. You'll found a lot less snow too.

bicyclist

I remember getting really good cream puffs from a place in the old German village in Columbus. Can't remember the name of the place.

Bike
Bonneville T120
Karl,

I'd gladly meet you in Westerville for a visit to IronPony and lunch! Monday would be the worst day for me but I could do it.

Let me know.

Dan

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Tuesday morning on works for me, a visit to Iron Pony is a big part of a trip here for me. Would be great fun to see you again Dan.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...If you get a chance a visit to AMA Museum is a nice trip, not as good a Wheels Trough Time...]

I have to respectfully disagree with you because if you removed all the H-Ds and H-D-related incidentals from Wheels of Time, it would be mostly an empty building. The AMA museum is by contrast all brands and it has many examples of motorcycle racing, touring, etc. :)

Top Bottom