Votes: 0 0.0%
  • August

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Will keep my eye on this. Sifting through potential bike trips for next year. Another one at the top of the list is Cape Breton, Nova Scotia with some Stromtroppers but that's looking to move to July (and NS is much cooler in July that a lot of this country is). So May might remain open :D And I'f I'm going to ride to TN I'd much rather do it in May than July. Would be nice to meet some more people from these forums and maybe meet up with some others for the ride down (ahem...Bob, Dan, Alex, Karl, Tosh, Barry, etc).

I would most likely camp. I prefer wooded sites to open grass, and if the sites run along a river/brook/water source that's a huge bonus! Access to running water is really all I need and most campgrounds have water spigots throughout the property. If I'm going to be there more than a day or two - showers are good as well!

But I'm pretty easy going and would be fine wherever you guys decide to go.
That sounds like fun, if the trip down was more than just a transit to the rides.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I should be able to make it. I will be retired by then and hopefully should have a new bike.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park, is only 10 miles from Maryville, reservations can be made to camp.[/QUOTE]

I camped there just a month ago when I was doing the tail of the dragon and it was great - and only $10 a night with a senior pass.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I gone down that way in late May for the last few years. It is a good time to be there. Last year I stayed at a very reasonable motel just north of Maryville. It was raining then or I would have stayed in Smokey Mountain National Park or at Mt Pisgah. There was another reasonable and motorcycle friendly motel at Fancy Gap about half way up the BRP.

I usually like to camp but I like a campground with a shower so I can stand to be in the tent with myself. I use motels too when it is awful weather, or to save time. There is a lot more down there than I've ever found. We need someone local to sniff out the best places for us. But I sense this group is more inclined to stay in a motel, and I'm OK with that too. I'm likely to attend, but not fully committed - yet.

It is a little over 1025 miles if I go the shortest way and negotiate obsticles like Chicago, Indianapolis, and Cincinnatti. I prefer to go through the UP of MI and take the scenic route of about 1300 miles. Last year I rode down the Mississippi to about Memphis and then east to the BRP and it was closer to 1800 miles that way. It is actually farther than Spearfish, but that is just another couple days riding.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
One more thing that is a nice thing to know. Honda Motorcycle dealers in area. Anyone know a good dealer down in area just in case of issues.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Southern PowerSports in Chattanooga is one of the biggest dealers in the Southeast.... I have not dealt with them personally but I haven't heard anything bad about them either...except from local dealers being forced to price match them...:rolleyes1:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
When I visited the Smoky's last year, we stayed in Cherokee, NC. It was a LOT less crowded and touristy that the TN side and we found a motel that was owned by a fellow motorcyclist who gave us a great deal on a room. Nuthin' fancy, but it was clean and inexpensive. Just a few miles from the Dragon and less than a mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway. If y'all aren't married to Maryville yet, it might be worth looking into. The only drawback is that for those interested in alcoholic refreshment, Cherokee is as dry as a bone!

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Anyone know a good dealer down in area just in case of issues.
I got good service when I ordered a tire ahead and had it installed at a shop just north of Athens TN. Don't remember the name of it. Again - we need a local expert.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
As long as you know in advance, it ain't no biggie, you just BYOB. Also, I forgot to mention, it is just 12 miles from Maggie Valley where the Wheels of the World museum is located. A must see if you are in the area.

Bike
Bonneville T120
Will keep my eye on this. Sifting through potential bike trips for next year. Another one at the top of the list is Cape Breton, Nova Scotia with some Stromtroppers but that's looking to move to July (and NS is much cooler in July that a lot of this country is). So May might remain open :D And I'f I'm going to ride to TN I'd much rather do it in May than July. Would be nice to meet some more people from these forums and maybe meet up with some others for the ride down (ahem...Bob, Dan, Alex, Karl, Tosh, Barry, etc).

I would most likely camp. I prefer wooded sites to open grass, and if the sites run along a river/brook/water source that's a huge bonus! Access to running water is really all I need and most campgrounds have water spigots throughout the property. If I'm going to be there more than a day or two - showers are good as well!

But I'm pretty easy going and would be fine wherever you guys decide to go.
I'm very interested in the ride. It would be fun to head south and collect companions as I go.
An inexpensive mom and pop motel would be my preferred lodging option.

As riding season is soon coming to a screeching halt here in central Maine (at least comfortable riding) it will give me something to think about in the mean time.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
As riding season is soon coming to a screeching halt here in central Maine (at least comfortable riding) it will give me something to think about in the mean time.
Ya - here too. Snow in the forecast next 5 out of 6 days. Temps 15 - 20 degrees below normal for the next week to 10 days. Then it is November. I think it is time to add Stabil and remove the battery for the winter. I'll suspend my MC liability insurance to save some money too, but the comprehensive will stay in effect. In order to save space I store my motorcycle and lawn mower inside my horse trailer for the winter.

I'll be ready for a nice ride south by mid May.

I'm very interested in the ride. It would be fun to head south and collect companions as I go.
An inexpensive mom and pop motel would be my preferred lodging option.

Dan, get to me and I'll take you on a nice two day ride to Marysville. We'll use the BRP to the bottom of VA (Meadows of Dan) and then route 58 across to Abingdon, VA. From there we will ride the Snake (Rt 421) and on to Marysville. Its about 600 miles.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I think the 3rd week in May, long weekend or ???
Motels for sissy's like me, and Great Smoky for campers.
Southern Powersports (dealer near) even has a tricked up NT. I think in May with most kids still in school, not as many tourist.
If you plan on riding the Tail, it should be done during the week (traffic), and note your time to find your picture on one of those sites. I had one site miss my travel, so if you want a picture of you on the Tail check all sites.
I know May sounds like a long way away, but it comes quickly. So if you are thinking about riding to the East gathering, please plan.
I don't camp, with metal in my back sleeping on the ground is not very comfortable. I will be in a motel, one with a breakfast and maybe a hot tub. Dawn and Dusk rides in are not anything I am interested in any more, just to many night creatures out at that time of day, so rides would be sun up to sundown for me.
How many days would be best for the gathering, Thursday to Monday? and maybe a mid point meet for people coming from different areas. I will be coming from Michigan, and one night stop on the way down, I try and keep rides <400.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
WEEK ending on 17th, or 24th??? I am in planning stages at this point assuming I will be able to see where I'm going. If this function is going to happen it needs to get firmed up. someone that is close to the area needs to visit several of the lodging facilitiesand look them over , and talk to owners / managers to be sure they are ok with the bike group and that there will most likely be a bit of socializing going on in the evenings. Once that is done and you find a appropriate location Tie it down and post the facility information / website so those who choose to attend can get their reservations made.

My .02 cents worth of thought would be that caf?, diner etc be close enough to walk to preferably also the typical morning goodies available, or the near by facility for breakfast. You guys who live or are aquainted best with the area need to get togather in a conference call and make a decision regarding the specific place, or two or three of them , then go and check them out and select one & post the info.

No matter what place is selected there will be something someone won't be happy with, but with a group of 10 to twenty there will probably be the typical 10 %. If someone is really unhappy they can be nominated to put it togather for the next one! LOL that is the way we do it for deer & elk camp , if you have a complaint about the cooking or the menue guess what you will be doing next time:rofl1:

Eldon

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
That was my thought! It needs to be done if it is going to get done. If I were with-in a couple hundred miles of there I would do it, or have done it, but it is a bit far from the WET coast to do much other than go with a major player national facility . I am sure from what I have seen posted earlier that there is something close to the area that will do the job.

Eldon

Top Bottom