EV Update

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Nissan shuts down the production of the LEAF in their UK facilities... their re-tooling for the production of their more conventional vehicles...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Porsche faces legal suit over their EVs being suspected the cause of fire on board the Felicity Ace, leading to loss off the vessel...

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I had a negative experience with my 2015 Zero SR electric motorcycle, which has led me to decide against purchasing another Zero motorcycle in the future, even if it was the only electric motorcycle available. I feel that Zero has misled the market and the motorcycling community into believing that they are the best electric motorcycle brand, when this is not the case.

As fuel costs continue to rise in California, I am strongly considering purchasing another electric motorcycle. However, Zero Motorcycles is no longer an option for me. I am currently leaning towards the Engerica Experia, as Honda has pulled out of the electric motorcycle market, which has helped me make my decision.

Unfortunately, I was unemployed for five months, which has delayed my plans to purchase a new electric motorcycle. However, I am now gainfully employed again.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I just want to make it clear that I am not against EVs for those that have looked at the benifits and downsides and break even points and unintended consequences. And driving habits. But anyone who believes the LOC (load of Fertilizer) that these things are "Zero Emissions" is not thinking clearly. Research and development can and will go forward...as it should. If the govt wants to subsidize the EVs as they now exisit, then they should also subsidized high milage motorcycles and cars....

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
But anyone who believes the LOC (load of Fertilizer) that these things are "Zero Emissions" is not thinking clearly.
Yep, and even the EC boneheads in Brussels are now rowing backwards in finally acknowledging that fact... so the whole lobby-maneuver behind it failed, those industries behind it have to regroup (and retool) quickly now...
I'm observing this with grim satisfaction...
And another fact surfaced: a study unveiled that, considering all factors, the most environmental friendly sedan type vehicle is... TADAA... a Prius plug in hybrid with an ICE inside... go figure...
Same table shows that some full EVs are on the real bad side in this...

Bike
2010 NT700V
I see FULL EV touted as the future, and I think of the Dale and the Elio. Both went over like a fart in church.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yet another old name is revived but for what reason is beyond me?

I still think the hybrid combination of ICE & supplemental electric drive is the best of all worlds. :) :)

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yet another old name is revived but for what reason is beyond me?

I still think the hybrid combination of ICE & supplemental electric drive is the best of all worlds. :) :)
I think that Vee Dub is trying to capitalize on the good reputation and nostalgia of the Scout name. The success of the reincarnated Bronco has not gone unnoticed. As a pure electric, I suspect it will be a flop. The EV market has drastically changed since Vee Dub made the commitment to the Scout.

I agree, I think the hybrids will gain considerable attention from the consumer. I would seriously consider one should the need for a new vehicle arise. I don't see any advantage of a hybrid motorcycle however.

Mike

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It appears that the Feds are reacting to the lack of enthusiasm for the EV by the consumer. The EPA is now relaxing the Federal mandate for EV sales by 2030 and bumping it to 2032. They are also decreasing the percentage of EV's required slightly and substituing them with and equal percentage of "plug-in" hybrids. They are also increasing the stringency of the emission standards for ICE vehicles at the same time. I haven't had ime to study the plan in great detail but at first blush it appears to be simply smoke and mirrors to make it seem that they are trying to accomodate the public rather than making substantitive changes to their original scheme. If the public isn't on board with the idea of an EV (and they aren't!) it would be suicidal for the automakers to try to meet the new standard set forth by the Feds. It still remains to be seen how the Feds expect our power generation infrastructure to be able to accomodate the huge influx of EV's. In another but related note, I read today where the Feds are moving up the date by two years where all coal fired generation must meet new emission standards. It just doesn't add up.

:doh1:

Mike

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Politicians and political staff think that if you put 9 pregnant women in a room, you can get a baby in a month. It is simple math, with the emphasis on simple.
:).

Top Bottom