EV Update

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If you think hydrogen is a waste of time and money, you should delve into the wonderful, corrupt, world of ethanol. It takes more energy to produce than it gives back. Add in the horrendous amount of water and the corn that could go into feeding the world and you have a boondoggle that Washington would be proud of. In fact, if it weren't for that boondoggle and $million$ in "contributions", there would be no ethanol.
Nothing new here, it has been that way since Day One.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Long ago the Wall Street Journal was a well respected newspaper with independent thought but then it was bought by Murdoch media and since then, they just follow the company line. :mad::mad:

Bike
2010 NT700V
Last week, I drove (REALLY feather footed it) my Maverick hybrid 1 mile on electric for a 1.4 mile trip. 109mpg. Then, of course, the 2.5 ICE kicked in and the mpg's fell like a rock. It was fun to watch, though. Reminded me of watching a pinball score rack up. The Mav only has a 1.1 kilowatt battery, so it doesn't go very far on battery only. I like having that 2.5 "portable generator" along.

109 mpg.jpg

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Time to re think diesels and EVs.
Due to the lower price at the pump, the Diesel marketing concept "hey, it's cheap and environmental friendly" worked at first, but they couldn't get enough, so once they'd reached >70% market coverage they forced the political supported "hey, you need to buy a new diesel with filter now", once the market was again saturated they came up with "no, now your need a new diesel with CAT", then it turned out that those emissions are even worse... suddenly cities discussed banning them (probably already lobby-injected with the long term preparation of the EV hype...)
I observe with grim satisfaction how their global "cimate panic" EV marketing propaganda implodes now... despite the media continuously hammering on us, religious activists super-gluing themselves on the tarmac (causing even more, senseless emissions), etc...
They should have just eased it in, like with smartphones, and let the market smooth out all by itself, but all the permanent propaganda (and the gazillion issues that arise with EV's) is actually only causing truculent refusal of this whole concept...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I'll still smile šŸ˜ all the way to the bank. I received a $4,750 EV Tax credit on my Federal return. And since my Georgia State income tax is based on my Federal return I picked up some cash on it as well.

A cancelled IPO attempt, or cash grab, in France, by a third tier automaker, doesn't make any difference to what is going on here. Well I guess it does show VC money is getting tight which in this economy is no surprise. Hey! Did you read the article about Toyota next to the Renault article? Those problems can get people killed...like Takata air bags.:( Maybe it is time to rethink importing Japanese products. The last few years have shown Japan Inc isn't what it used to be...:rolleyes:

I'll close with this article about BMW as I'm sure it will make some folks feel better. And it is even about motorcycles! :)

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The residual value of these vehicles just took a major hit and in some form affect the value of all EV's.

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V
Before Merry Berry is done, General Junk will be making pot holders. VERY low quality pot holders!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Hertz dumping 20,000 EVs.
That article is old news, from October of last year, now read this article about why Hertz is in this position. That is the rest of the story....

The residual value of these vehicles just took a major hit and in some form affect the value of all EV's.
This is why you don't buy a Tesla. Any vehicle manufacture who relies on rental fleets for a large portion of their sales is going to have residual value issues. Add in Musk randomly dropping prices and you have a real recipe for the average buyer to get screwed. In fairness Fiatsyler, Ford, GM, and Hyundai have been burned by rental companies as well. Having used rental cars for years while I was a road warrior you couldn't price any of ex-rental cars low enough for me to buy one.

So pray tell just how does this affect the value of all EV's?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Again... The Chinese are who is going to win the EV race...especially in the EU.
A CEO of BOSCH claims that since it'll take 30~35 years till EV's are really ready and vastly present, ICE's still need to be developed and produced... which sounds like a really realistic estimation to me...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
A CEO of BOSCH claims that since it'll take 30~35 years till EV's are really ready and vastly present, ICE's still need to be developed and produced... which sounds like a really realistic estimation to me...
Here is what he said. And this is the last paragraph: "But he denied that the European Union had moved too fast in setting a target. "With the climate targets, it was important in the first instance that we in fact set a target," he said."

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Easy Wayne, the average Joe doesn't pay very close attention to the details in the news, economy, politics or whatever so when he catches a blurb on the radio or TV about EV sales plummeting and values plummeting he assumes that it applies universally. Then, the dealer who knows his market realizes that the market for EV's has turned sour and is not about to offer a premium amount for an EV trade in. He doesn't want to be burned either. I have seen enough economic downturns for a variety of reasons and it doesn't take much to spook the consumer and have him or her turn off the buying spigot.

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Easy Wayne, the average Joe doesn't pay very close attention to the details in the news, economy, ...

Mike
The US may have peaked for now. When I am dead, the holy grail of EV batteries will appear and the sodium cooled nuclear reactor will be commonplace, and the grid up graded. And wind farms will be thrown on the trash heap of history, on top of the 8 track player and compact florescent light bulbs.

Top Bottom