FJR got tired.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
My appointment was cancelled today so I had a chance to go for quick early morning ride up to Idaho Spring and over Guanella Pass. A bit chilly early this morning so I pulled off at Idaho Springs to put on my jacket liner. That is where the early morning ride ended. I put the FJR on the Ground. On the freeway exit ramp approaching the traffic circle is where the FJR got tired. (See map). There is a small two inch curb with a concrete apron for the big rig trailers to ride on going around the sharp right hander before the circle. Normally there would be a solid white line designating where the curb is, but it was all worn away from traffic. The concrete apron blends in with the concrete on-ramp. Watching for traffic in the circle I did not see the curb in my peripheral vision. (no white line). The FJR tried to climb the curb and then fell over on the right side. ATGATT was the word of the day. My right leg got caught between the right exhaust and the curb. The weight of the bike was on my upper right ankle. Leg was twisted and I could not untwist and get out from under the bike. Trapped on the ground flopping around like a fish out of water. Lady behind me stopped and tried to push the bike off of me. No avail, just made it worse. The guy behind her stopped and lifted the bike off of me and positioned it on the side stand. By the time I was able to get up to thank them they were gone. Who ever you folks where, thank you. Leg hurt but was able to walk on it. Very little damage to the bike. Engine crash guards and sliders did their job. Guard is scraped on the bottom and slider is ground down a bit. No other damage. Rode to George Town to head up the Pass, but by then the ankle was too sore to use the rear break pedal. Decided it was best to head home and get the ankle on ice. Here are a couple of pictures of the leg on ice and the scrapes on the bike. A bit underwhelming for the pain that the ankle, leg and knee are felling. Boot, Riding Pants and Jacket are scraped up a little but still servable. Knee pads and elbow pads work. Be careful and ride safe out there.
https://goo.gl/maps/arqJ4zcDimwetbii7

SAM_5763.JPGSAM_5767.JPG

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Gee, Chuck, I'm sure glad that you weren't hurt more. I'm hoping that the ice helps the ankle/leg quickly and that you didn't do any more damage to yourself.

The bike doesn't look too bad -- looks like you can hit the slider and the bar with a shot of flat black paint and it'll barely be noticeable.

One more vote for ATGATT!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Sorry to hear about that. I certainly understand how that can happen and throw the bike to the side instantly especially in a traffic circle. But I guess a person has to be more concerned about cars and truck traffic than invisible curbs.

I hope there is no serious damage to your leg. Get some medical care if needed. Your experience is one more example why we old people have to be real careful with heavy motorcycles. We all belong to that group who will either drop their motorcycle or will drop their motorcycle again.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Not a good day. Glad you were not hurt more seriously.

Brad

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I am glad to hear that you are OK. It certainly can happen to anyone.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Glad to hear that did not slide down the asphalt 30' or so like I did. Nothing like asphalt to wake you up in the early morning.

Contact your local DOT regarding the incident and the white line being worn away. They will probably be glad to paint again to prevent any further liability.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
good to hear you are find and so is the fjr ... get better soon... and (y) for ATGATT

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Well NUTS Chuck! Hope the ice and time eases the swelling and pain.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Sorry to hear the sad news Chuck, hopefully you will heal quickly.

All the best,

Seagrass

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Chuck, now you'll have more time to clean the garage while taking a hiatus from riding. We can't wait to see what it'll look like now!
Seriously though, get well soon.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here is todays follow up on my FJR opps. Turns out the score is FJR 1 Chuck 0. Today after my daughter fussed me out and my Wife' very concerned, loving urging, I went to the Doc to have the leg / ankle checked out. After the X-rays shots, turns out I have a Distal Fibula Fracture, on my right ankle /leg. And a lot of bruising. My season is pretty much over for the rest of the year. Six to Eight weeks to completely heal. Maybe I will be able to sneak in a ride just after Thanksgiving weather permitting. Had to take the pictures with a camera off the commuter screen. The Hospital software would not let me copy and paste the images off their website. One can clearly see the break. Got an appt with Ortho next week. And as a bonus, the Doc gave me my annual Flu Shot. Now the arm is sore.

SAM_5768.JPGSAM_5774.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: JQL

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ouch! What do they do for a Distal Fibula Fracture? Cast? Boot? Surgery? Anything I can do for you?

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Ouch! What do they do for a Distal Fibula Fracture? Cast? Boot? Surgery? Anything I can do for you?
As of today just a boot. Will see the CU Sports Ortho Doc on Tuesday for further analysis. What can you do for me? Use your influence with the Big Guy too get me healed up faster. Having withdrawals just thinking about not being able to ride for 6 to 8 weeks.

Last edited:
Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
My 100-pound labrador retriever falls asleep on my foot sometimes but it just makes my foot go to sleep.

Do they make a soft and furry touring motorcycle?

Seriously - I hope you heal quickly.

Best wishes!

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
OUCH!!! I bet you it was the weight of the bike that broke it when it pinned you.

A 700 pound motorcycle will always win…

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Ouch. Just follow Dr. orders and let it heal correctly. You will have time to ride later on.
I broke an ankle back in early 1990's. I think mine got pinched between the bike and a one ton truck bumper. I couldn't see anything more than a crack in the X-ray, yours is clear. I don't know about healing bones much but I started with a cast over the knee, then below knee, then a walking cast. 6-7 weeks I think. If you get snow or ice be careful. It ain't the same as normal walking.

Brad

Top Bottom