FJR got tired.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
You may have seen my "Motorcycles don't swim" video where I dropped the FJR in a Ford at very low speed. Even at that low speed the flange for the rear hanger bent due to the crash bars. The bars did their job though. At higher speeds, I think there would have been damage to the panniers and or exhaust. I too am debating their usefulness.

Oh, any tips on straightening the flange would be gratefully received.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
You may have seen my "Motorcycles don't swim" video where I dropped the FJR in a Ford at very low speed. Even at that low speed the flange for the rear hanger bent due to the crash bars. The bars did their job though. At higher speeds, I think there would have been damage to the panniers and or exhaust. I too am debating their usefulness.

Oh, any tips on straightening the flange would be gratefully received.
I think that to straighten the mounting flanges on the guards will take a hot torch and some pounding on an anvil. Find a good blacksmith.

Reactions: JQL

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
No as I had high top boots and riding pants. No burn, no scrapes, just a broken Fibula, twisted ankle, and a severely squished foot. The ATGATT did what it was suppose to and the jacket and pants armor did what it was suppose to.
That's good news. ATGATT has always worked for me -- except for the shattered hand I got on my way to Tombstone.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck, been there , done that as the saying goes. The I-walk saved my credit rating...:)
You broke you Tibia, a load bearing bone. ouch. I am lucky, only cracked the fibula, a non load bearing bone. Yours Looks painful.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You broke you Tibia, a load bearing bone. ouch. I am lucky, only cracked the fibula, a non load bearing bone. Yours Looks painful.
I broke my fibula when I was a senior in college and it hurt for at least the next 7-8 years. Not constantly, but just an occasional dull ache. But I would rather have done that than broken my tibia.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
There is something about X-Rays with screws that just doesn't look right.
I've put plenty of screws in woodworking stuff but X-rays with screws get your attention.
So far I've been lucky and not needed much medical rebuilding.

Brad

Bike
Red NT
Been collecting internal body hardware since 1978. My wife tells the TSA worker "Welcome to your nightmare" when we walk up to be checked.
Wouldn't trade my hardware in for anything. Had way too much fun over the years. If a little bit, well maybe alot of pain was what it cost, it was worth its weight in gold. Or maybe Titanium in this case. The wife says I'd be a perfect specimen if it weren't for my 2 wheel obsession :) By the way, I'm a member of the 55+ old man class.

Attachments

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
So far all the internal hardware I've got are my two knees (numbers 5 and 6) and some pins that are still in my left hand after the deer tried to take me out.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here is todays follow up on my FJR opps. Turns out the score is FJR 1 Chuck 0. Today after my daughter fussed me out and my Wife' very concerned, loving urging, I went to the Doc to have the leg / ankle checked out. After the X-rays shots, turns out I have a Distal Fibula Fracture, on my right ankle /leg. And a lot of bruising. My season is pretty much over for the rest of the year. Six to Eight weeks to completely heal. Maybe I will be able to sneak in a ride just after Thanksgiving weather permitting. Had to take the pictures with a camera off the commuter screen. The Hospital software would not let me copy and paste the images off their website. One can clearly see the break. Got an appt with Ortho next week. And as a bonus, the Doc gave me my annual Flu Shot. Now the arm is sore.

SAM_5768.JPGSAM_5774.JPG

Went to the Ortho Doc today. Got the Leg Boot off and got permission to Go Ride again by my Doc. After 7 weeks on not even riding around the block, I am a bit eager to ride. Trouble is, We had a snow storm come through last night and drop 4 inches of snow and ice on the roads. Going to have to wait a bit more.šŸ˜•

Top Bottom