Getting the NT on the Centerstand

It does! :D

On the Wing also make sure the rear preload is all the way up (25 on the GL1800).

If the bike has been sitting for a full day, unless I role the bike forward and backward a few times, I can't get it up on the center stand. So if I don't have the patience to roll it around a bit, I just roll it onto the plywood (I keep one on the bike and a spare in the garage) and up it goes very easily. :)

The Wing is good practice though. I practically threw the NT on the center stand the first time. I don't even have any problem getting the NT on the center stand with the Park n' Move under it.

Rmcapozzi's method might make the Gold Wing a little easier, I'll have to try that.

I hear ya! I had the same sensation the first time I put the NT up also!

I finally got brave enough to put the bike on the center stand .... it was very easy. I grabbed the left grip with my left hand, the left passenger handhold with my right hand put my right foot on the stand and stood/leaned backward... she went right up on the stand easy peasy

I nearly always use the centre stand, always have on all my bikes, and the one thing I have noted with the NT is that it is easier when the topbox and panniers are empty.

Rick, if it was your right shoulder that was boogered up that would affect the technique I use for center-standing the NT. But all my left arm ever does is hang on and keep the wheel aligned. The most force that gets applied is with the foot and the right arm.

I don't have a problem putting it on the stand on asphalt or most concrete surfaces, but my garage floor is painted and the stand tends to skid across it, instead of digging in so it's a little tricky. Maybe I'll try the plywood trick.

I don't have a problem putting it on the stand on asphalt or most concrete surfaces, but my garage floor is painted and the stand tends to skid across it, instead of digging in so it's a little tricky. Maybe I'll try the plywood trick.

I'm thinking that might be part of my problem. Floor in the garage is very smooth and somewhat slick. The centerstand has a tendency to just slide, especially when trying to get the bike off the centerstand. On my PC I would just sit on the bike and rock forward and off the centerstand she would go. Real easy. AND the PC was 80 pounds heavier than the NT.
Not so on the NT, just wants to slide. Of course the arthritis doesn't help any. Think I have the whole family of 'itis's. Arthur, Fred, Harry, George, etc
May have to try the plywood trick.
The only time I would use the centerstand is during maintenance or cleaning anyway. Most of the time just use the sidestand.

Then there is always:weight1:

Last edited:
Mine slides on the floor also, esp coming off the stand. I've never had one do that before.
I think the NT centerstand travels over-center more than other bikes I have owned.
I am glad Honda included the center stand on this bike. I only use it for maint and cleaning but it is stable and convenient. More and more bikes do not come with built in stands.

Brad

I use the same technique Paul described. The only thing I do differently is to slide a block of 2x6 lumber under the sidestand--that makes the bike vertical.

A folded over piece of sandpaper under the center stand would likely help with the center stand skidding across the floor. You could also use an indoor/outdoor rug (with anti-slip backing) would keep the stand from moving across the floor. If it is long enough to be under both the rear tire and center stand then it wouldn't make the bike any more difficult to place on the center stand. If only big enough to be under the center stand then it may be a hair more difficult (depending on how thick the rug is) to raise the bike up. The plywood would more than compensate for that.

Most garage floors are sloped to allow water to run downhill to the garage doors. If you have the bike facing the garage doors (backed in), you'll be trying move the bike up hill when placing the bike on the center stand. That will increase the level of difficulty a tad bit. Still totally doable but if the bike is nosed in (rear facing garage door) the bike will be easier to lift on the stand.

If the center stand is skidding though, I would look more towards your technique. I've not experienced skidding even on my wet garage floor (which is quick slick). You are likely pulling backward to much with you arms and not pushing down with you leg enough. The idea is to pivot the bike. Use your leg to drive the center stand down and forward into the ground while your right hand pivots the bike backwards.

Here's a video of a guy placing his GL1800 on a center stand. It might be helpful to see a demonstration of it.

[video=youtube;MdQjlxwJIn4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdQjlxwJIn4[/video]

A folded over piece of sandpaper under the center stand would likely help with the center stand skidding across the floor. You could also use an indoor/outdoor rug (with anti-slip backing) would keep the stand from moving across the floor. If it is long enough to be under both the rear tire and center stand then it wouldn't make the bike any more difficult to place on the center stand. If only big enough to be under the center stand then it may be a hair more difficult (depending on how thick the rug is) to raise the bike up. The plywood would more than compensate for that.

Most garage floors are sloped to allow water to run downhill to the garage doors. If you have the bike facing the garage doors (backed in), you'll be trying move the bike up hill when placing the bike on the center stand. That will increase the level of difficulty a tad bit. Still totally doable but if the bike is nosed in (rear facing garage door) the bike will be easier to lift on the stand.

If the center stand is skidding though, I would look more towards your technique. I've not experienced skidding even on my wet garage floor (which is quick slick). You are likely pulling backward to much with you arms and not pushing down with you leg enough. The idea is to pivot the bike. Use your leg to drive the center stand down and forward into the ground while your right hand pivots the bike backwards.

Here's a video of a guy placing his GL1800 on a center stand. It might be helpful to see a demonstration of it.

[video=youtube;MdQjlxwJIn4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdQjlxwJIn4[/video]

That video shows a different, and clearly better, technique than I'm using. He's putting way more downward force on the stand than I am, no doubt why it often skids across the floor for me. I'm going to try that as soon as I get home! Thanks much.

I'm with Andron. I don't put that much down force on the stand and I find that I'm trying to muscle it up. It is surprising to see how easily this guy puts a very heavy bike onto the stand. Thanks. I will try it.

Terry

Gee, he makes it look so easy!
Will try on the NT and see if it works.
Now seems I remember this is the technique I used to get my old PC on the centerstand.

I'll have ot come over to Baton Rouge for a "center stand party". Then we can tour that destroyer you have on the river front.

Back
Top Bottom