Getting the NT on the Centerstand

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If you did do any maintenance, you'd understand the value of having a center stand. I like it just for checking tire pressures and washing and cleaning the bike.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Perhaps this isn't an issue with the NT but my main fear with leaving the side stand down while taking the bike off the center stand is that the suspension would sag enough (especially if leaning a bit left) to drive the side stand into the ground and send the bike over to the right.

I guess the side stand is short enough that this isn't a problem?

I've taken the bike off the center stand both while on it and beside it. I prefer while on it as I feel I have more control but the center stand lifts the rear so little that it is difficult to get a good forward "rocking" motion to collapse the stand. I also think the stand actually angles a bit more forward than other bikes I've had and therefore has a tendency to actually skid across the ground instead of collapsing.

I couldn't get the NT off my park n' move without a push from behind. I think a little grip tape is in order to keep the stand from skidding.
I agree, i like having both...just never worth a possible drop in the wrong spot JUST to have the bike on the center-stand, when side-stand will do fine...washing, airing-up, loading, balancing your camping gear on, are ALL a little better when on center-stand, in my experiences..

If i could strongly suggest an alternative to a method described on the previous page of this thread, by "Brad" i believe.....I admire his realization that taking bikes off center stands is cleaner without side stand deployed...chances are it will fold on you anyway--- if you are hoping for a 50% insurance policy on the stand preventing a fall towards you....... BUT once bike is off center-stand....I strongly recommend THEN deploying the side-stand, making Sure bike is stable on side-stand, Then throwing leg over and sit on the bike, only pulling up side-stand once footing is secure and bike is balanced upright......Getting on a "Live" (no stand down) large bike is just asking for trouble..I'm sure Brad does it safely every time, so to each is own, but my "medium" sized frame does it in the order described for a reason.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Perhaps this isn't an issue with the NT but my main fear with leaving the side stand down while taking the bike off the center stand is that the suspension would sag enough (especially if leaning a bit left) to drive the side stand into the ground and send the bike over to the right.

I think the only time I've had the sidestand touch anything when I've rocked the bike off the centerstand (from the side, not while sitting on it) was the time it came down on my foot. As graceful as I am, I'd probably drop the bike toward me when I tried to put the sidestand down if I were to leave it up.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I like to put the bike on the center stand when I fuel it up, but I always start by putting down the side stand to get off. Then, after I raise it on the center stand, I put the side stand up.

A few times I have forgotten to put the side stand up, and then when I rock it forward to get off the center stand, the side stand strikes the ground and propels the bike to the right. I have never dropped it that way, but it is still a hazard.

taldric

Personaly I always put the side stand up before taking the bike off the center stand. I'm always worried about the side stand catching or hitting something and throwing the bike to the right side. But the again, I'm always straddling the bike when I take it off the center stand so I have a foot on each side to catch it no matter which way it wants to fall. Oh yeah - and a hand on the brake in case it decides to try to roll away!

Bothell, WA in the wet part of the state.
Bike
Red 2014 FJR
I've posted before telling about the problem I was having getting it up on the center stand. I resorted to building up a small block to run the rear wheel up on then I could get it on the stand with no problem.

Well miracles do happen. A friend was over the other night who has been giving me a hard time for months now about not being to "get it up". He said let's go try it again. He watched me and in about 2 minutes of trying he showed me what I've been doing wrong. He corrected my technique and up it went. It didn't take brute force after all, just doing it correctly. Now I know a lot of you veteran MC riders are smiling as you read this and you have a right to. It really isn't hard once you've figured it out.
It just takes me a lot longer than most!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Don't feel bad, rain. I had a Kawasaki Concours from '99 till '10 and everybody said all it took was technique to get it up on the centerstand. Well, if that was so, I never mastered the technique. I could get it onto the centerstand but it was never easy. For me the NT has been way, waaaaaayyy easier than the Connie.

Glad you mastered it!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Or we can do it the military way. A 4 count center stand push up. One the count of 1 place left hand on left handle bar, On the count of two, place right hand on grab rail, on the count of 3 place right foot on center-stand arm, on the count of 4 push with right foot. Making sure arms are straight and back is not bent. Ready; Exercise. 1,2,3, one, 1,2,3, two 1,2,3, three 1,2,3,four. 1,2,3, HALT You have just done the 4 count Center Stand Push UP. Any questions pertaining to this exercise?
The Marines would just lift the rear up and then, with the left foot, lower the center stand and set the bike back down.
Loaded up or empty - even a Concours or ST - using only 2 fingers to lift with.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Hmm, any chance you were a Marine, Jim?
The Marines would just lift the rear up and then, with the left foot, lower the center stand and set the bike back down.
Loaded up or empty - even a Concours or ST - using only 2 fingers to lift with.
And the Navy would just submerge it to increase bouyancy to make it easier to lift.

The Air Force would have an electro-hydralulc lifting device to handle it. Just like a BMW only wieghing 100# more and costing 10X more.

No, Phil, I was an Army Sgt. but worked with the Marines in Viet Nam.

jackgermain

Well - I am 5' 9" and weigh 142lb - putting it up on the center stand seems pretty easy to me. Guess it's all in the technique. Keep practicing and you'll get it.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Folks, it is all leverage. Do not try to lift the bike with your arms. Push the stand straight down with your thigh. I am 193 lbs now, ( down from 245lb.) and my bikes still almost jump up on there own stands. Make sure both feet of the stand is making good contact with the ground first.

Last edited:
Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
Start by putting the centerstand down as you straighten the bike up off the sidestand. You'll feel the other side contact the ground. Facing forward, left hand on left handlebar grip, right hand on grip handle above pannier, right foot on centerstand, and just stand up. Your weight does 99% of the work.
This works for me too, but I agree with others that it is not as easy as getting the PC800 up in its centerstand.

Dave

Bike
2010 NT700V
Practice on your buddy's Goldwing. Yes, you can put a Wing on the centerstand. Easy as opening a Busch Light.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
And your body weight does figure in. If I stand on my NT sidestand that's not enough to do it. I have to pull up on the grab rail somewhat to get it up on the stand. (ST's have a retractable handle on the left side for this purpose, BTW).

Some planning is in order for placing either on the centerstand or sidestand if the surface is not level AND flat or if you've got a flat tire. Think it through. In addition to bike weight, lengths of the various components of the stand make it easier or harder and either more or less stable, depending on how all the angles work out. And those angles are affected by whether the stand is going, for example, into a depression or bulge in the surface relative to the wheel contact points.

Bike
choosing
The dealer told me (when I bought my VFR) to lower the stand until both sides touch the solid surface and
then push down on the stand as if you were trying to shove it into the concrete (or whatever the surface
that you are parking on). My VFR use to lift right up onto the stand. I suspect that the NT will do the same
thing. I am gonna practive Wednesday.

Joe

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Way to go! Folks can type a 15 page description of how to put the bike on the center stand but having someone there to show you is always the best option. Some bikes are definitely easier than others. I helped a buddy get his C14 on the center stand a few weeks back. He had not been placing both feet of the stand on the ground (he felt like the bike might fall over). With me spotting for him and both feet of the stand on the ground, the bike popped right up! "Wow! That was easy!" he said. :D

I've posted before telling about the problem I was having getting it up on the center stand. I resorted to building up a small block to run the rear wheel up on then I could get it on the stand with no problem.

Well miracles do happen. A friend was over the other night who has been giving me a hard time for months now about not being to "get it up". He said let's go try it again. He watched me and in about 2 minutes of trying he showed me what I've been doing wrong. He corrected my technique and up it went. It didn't take brute force after all, just doing it correctly. Now I know a lot of you veteran MC riders are smiling as you read this and you have a right to. It really isn't hard once you've figured it out.
It just takes me a lot longer than most!

skiper

I use the right foot on the centerstand and, compared to my Concours, the NT practically leaps up onto the centerstand.

But, how about getting the NT off the centerstand. I almost always got the Connie down when I was sitting on it and just rocked it forward. For some reason I don't feel secure rocking the NT off the stand. So, I stand beside it, with my left hand on the handlebar, my right hand on the passenger grab rail. Then I just rock the bike forward off the stand. But earlier in the week I had an incident I hadn't had happen with anything else before.

I was wearing my SAS old fella's shoes, moving the bike so I could pull my car into the garage. I always have the sidestand down when I'm getting the bike off the centerstand, but this time, the sidestand came down squarely on my left foot. Fortunately I had the bike fairly well balanced and the biggest thing was scuffing my already pre-scuffed shoes. I would not wanted to have been barefoot or wearing sandals!
getting NT off centerstand. I was sitting with my left elbow on tank - chin in left hand - watching blue moon go down over catskill mtns. dozed off and woke quickly to the thought - there's coffee brewing back in camp by now. hurriedly rocked forward - stll half asleep and my left leg just gave out. don't know why- brand new boots with much higher heel ? foot just didn't place correctly and bike began slowly tipping. gave it more than i had to save my sweet thing and ripping hamstring pain took over. slow motion gravel kiss - no damage to nt - only my leg. most severe pain i ever had in leg. could not ride bike. samaritan drove past - harley chap - came over and helped me out. thanks again chuck -if yur out there buzz me - short story is giving myself acupuncture and resting two days made it possible to ride . oh and going with larry fieroguy and his wife to a bhuddist monastery for a fifty year celebration gave me more ability to heal up.by the way during the chanting i felt a funny swirling tickle at gb-30 which is in the glute. thought someone was behind me doing something stupid ! but larry wasn't behind me anymore just a little old chinese woman. pain and stiffnes really began dropping then. thanks buddist temple or little old lady... any way - guys is it a bad idea to rock off the centerstand ? i'm done doing that for a while cause don't know what happened. ralph

skiper

Thank You Kathrine... real useful stuff for new riders, sound s smart and practical..., ralph

Top Bottom