Half Dome 4 Tent

skiper

For really good expresso coffee on the go I use Handpresso it just needs hot water.

I even take it to work with me.
wow - WOW - that is excellent design . bravo, You don't see design like that every day - 'simplicity' yet sophistication. Oh Mr. Honda ^^^ can we have this idea built into the frame of a MC ? Perhaps regenerative braking to pump the pressure, btu's from waste engine heat and a napkin dispenser on a ball mount - oops - overdid it again. Thanks JQL that surely is the bomb..

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Will have to get the tent online as well as the sleeping bag. I am sure that Phil will let me know how many and which bags I need to get from TT. I am really looking forward to doing Spearfish this summer.
Alex, The bags I have from Twisted Throttle are the Dry-Spec combo set (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twisted-throttle-dryspectm-d66-waterproof-motorcycle-dry-bag-modular-packing-system). They call it the D-66, and it has both the D-38 and the D-28 bags. The D-38 has a plastic liner that helps it keep its shape when it's not completely full and a roll-top closure. It's pretty huge. I carry my cot, my sleeping bag and pad, my Kermit chair, my tent lantern, and assorted other small stuff in it and could still cram more little odd-shaped things in.

The D-28 has openings on each end, so you can access it while it's still on the bike. I carry my tent (and footprint) in it. My theory is that if I were ever caught by rain, I could put up the tent without having to open anything else up, then use the tent and its vestibule to keep stuff dry as I finished setting up camp.

There are various (sorta' fiddly) straps to connect the two bags and to attach them to your bike. I'm still learning best practices for camping -- it had been a loooong time since I camped in earnest and equipment has changed a lot over the years. I used the camping stuff seven nights last summer, and set up and tore down four times. I was getting quicker toward the end. Setting up is easier than taking down and repacking.

Here are some pictures:

P1040938.jpg P1040940.jpg

And here is a shot of some of the stuff I pack in them:

P1040935.jpg

Front to back: Luxury Lite Cot, Kermit chair w' leg extensions on the right, Big Agnes Buffalo Park sleeping bag, Big Agnes sleeping pad, Half Dome 2+ tent. (The Half-Dome 4 is an inch bigger in diameter, and 2" longer.

Last edited:

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Use this to grind beans if needed:

Use this to make coffee (not espresso) by the cup:

Use this to boil water: (boils 2 cups in about 90 seconds to 2min - extremely efficient heat transfer)
Note that there is a press filter for the jetboil to make coffee in it directly, but it's messy and doesn't seem to work to well to me. YMMV
I use this with Starbucks VIA packets for coffee when camping, but I plan to get the Aeropress.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I am a cheap SOB when it comes to some stuff, so, have a plastic french press I got at Sportsman's warehouse ($25 I think). I compared my MSR rocket to my brother's jetboil. THe jetboil gets the water fo a hard boil 15-30sec faster than the MSR. If you are concerned about how much fuel you have to carry that makes a difference. I carry plenty of fuel so will keep the $40 MSR instead of paying $100 for the jetboil.

Same with everything else I have. 4 person Kelty tent I got for $70. Sleeping bag at Costco for $40. My footprint is an 8x10 plastic tarp ($8). Camping chair was a bit more expensive cause I wanted it to fold up a bit more than the cheaper models, $60. My coleman airbed was $40 (including the air pump, which my brother borrows to huff up his 'good' air mattress). I carry an old Army poncho for extra shelter ('free' with 20 years of service :) ). And last is one of those tripod stools. I use it inside the tent to get dressed and as a 'bedside' table.

The real reason for being so cheap about this is I had not tent camped for more than 20 years and wasn't sure I was going to like it. I didn't want to spend a bucket load and then not use it. Now that I know I like it I have come to appreciate the stuff I have and will keep using it until I wear it out (which may be a while).

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Charlie,

I agree with you on being Cheap / economical in almost every way. I did splurge last year for the Luxery lite cot camp bed and the wider one to boot. I have no regrets about it , a very comfortable nite rest when using it, and I highly recomend it.My thought after seeing one demoed and having opportunity to lay on it for a few minuts I was convinced to go for it. If I am not comfortable I do not get a good nights sleep and I amsure you know the results of that. I know I will never wear it out, but it will be passed on ot one of my son's or grand kids after them so I know it will get plenty of use.

My bag is a little bulky , one of the good mil specs from post 9-1-1 that was being issued to out troops headed for the sandpile. I have removed one of the bags from the system the one that when added takes it down to -60 below and as such it is good into the 20's or 30's which is as cool as I am going to be bike camping.
LOL I age that those FREEBE'S and benefits that come from 20 + years of service are great!!

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I paid $50 for my jetboil. Maybe $55. They do have some expensive models though, and buying them from a brick and mortar probably gravitates to the expensive side as well.

I like it because the fuel can, stand, and burner all pack up into the boiling cup. Which itself can be used to eat meals from. Makes for a tidy package.

But yes, there's certainly plenty of options for boiling water out there.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Winger,

I have tried sleeping on cots many times andalways have to add an air mattress. So the air bed takes care of me.

Rob am sure theses things can be had cheaper. The prices I paid are store prices. I got a mug that holds the fuel and an insulated travel coffee cup that will hold the msr stove. Add the french press and i have 3 cylinders to pack.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
:) I think you just wanted to have a different tent than the others NT'ers. At Spearfish, it seemed like the most frequent comment from the ST'ers was the fact that there were so many Half-dome +2 tents. I think I remember 6 out of ~20 campers. I also thought it was funny that most of them were set up in the same spot. I will have to go look through some of the photos. :)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I have tried sleeping on cots many times andalways have to add an air mattress.
Charlie, I need the airmattress with the cot, too, but the Big Agnes insulated Q-core pad works well for me and packs smaller than the bigger air mattresses I've had. It helps me that the Luxury Lite cot gets me up about 6" higher than I would be with just a sleeping pad, but that may not be much higher than I'd be on a good air mattress.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Does it stay 6" high when you push down on it with your hands while getting up? I have had great luck with air beds in years past -- haven't tried one since all my knee surgeries.

Just out of of curiosity, what do you use to blow it up?

Bike
2010 Red NT700
All this stuff goes in to my Dry-Spec D-66 modular waterproof b
Phil

I am thinking about buying this bag but I am curious. I dont know if I have no imagination or a brain power deficit. I have trouble getting happy when tying extar luggage to the back seat. the grab bars on the NT arent the ideal setup, in my opinion. Haow do you go about tying down the dryspec luggage on your bike? Pics?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
P1040938.jpg P1040940.jpg P1040942.jpg

Clay, the tie-down system on the Dry-Spec bags is a great design, extremely versatile and quite secure. The grab rails work great to hold the bags. They haven't moved any -- rough roads, high winds (combined with high speeds :) ) -- they're snug and secure.

There's a strap that has a female buckle on one end and a loop on the other. You put four of those on the grab rails. Then there are other straps that have a small plastic rectangle on the end opposite of the male end of the buckle. That little rectangle goes through a strap on the bottom bag and then you tighten the buckle strap to hold the bag firmly.

Sorry I don't have better pictures of the strap arrangement, but don't worry about them going anywhere.

Bike
Phil, Are these pictures with the 1/2 dome 4 packed away in them?

Eldon

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I use the grab rails for tie downs all the time.

Bungee cord (and other type) hooks are held securely by the 'honeycomb' web on the underside of the grab bars. I have over 4000miles carrying a duffle or dry bag across the passenger seat. No issues at all.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Are these pictures with the 1/2 dome 4 packed away in them?
Eldon, these pix were taken with the Half Dome 2+, but the Half Dome 4 is only an inch bigger in diameter and an inch longer package. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference just by looking.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I use the grab rails for tie downs all the time
I use them too. But when I have a long cylindrical package that sits perpendicular to the seat I find that just using the grab rails is insufficient. I end up using the hardware on the underside of the topbox rack
Sounds like the Dryspec wont be a problem though
After viewing Mellow's video I am seriously thinking about getting at least the bottom bag

Bike
I am seriously thinking about them with the set of two as Phil has. I got by last year with a large red duffle from Wallmart, it is good for the price I paid, but as far as satisfction goes it is a royal PIA to deal with and tht is even after getting the good ROK straps to tie down with.

Bike
Phil,

does the Big Agnes sleeping pad have any securing strapes that hold it in place on the luxery lite cot, or does it slip inside the sleeping bag outer cover?

Top Bottom