Half Dome 4 Tent

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I thought about getting a banality blocker and linking it to our Forum, but then I realized that it would eliminate about 95% of our activity. :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Bugs is another reason I like a larger tent. I can set up my chair inside the tent and get dressed without exposing myself to the blood suckers. There is also enough room to get everything packed up except the tent. Can even have my morning coffee without going outside. And with the little disposable urnials I am all set :)

I am going to replace my ground tarp with a tyvek version (right now I use a cheap tarp, but, it uses up too much room). I like having a 'footprint' that extends into the vestibule area. The ones that come with the tent are not that big.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Rick,

Yes, that is the way I took it. I am sure if I were getting a butt chewing it would be in a PM! Heck I learned tha way back when I did ECI MGT 0006 as a jr grade E4 in 65.
The double entrys are senior memory, combined with fumble fingers, as well as computer mis understandings!

eldon

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Phil
Does your half dome 4 fit into the DRYSPEC bag?
REI says the packed length is 24" but the bag is 22"

?????????????????????

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I think they measure the packed length by the pole length when broke down. I stuff my half dome tent into the provided stuff sack. If I don't put the poles in it can back up shorter but fatter.

Disclaimer: I have the smaller half-dome tents, just guessing that 4+ is similar.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Clay, it's in the D-28 Dry-Spec bag (the one that has the openings on the end) right this very minute. The D-28 would hold it even if it were another 3-4 inches longer. It wouldn't fit in to the D-38 semi-rigid bag. My Kermit chair couldn't be much longer than it is and get into that bag.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Don't pack the poles (or pegs) in the dry spec bag. I made a small bag out of old blue jeans (cut off the legs and sew up one end). That fits nicely in the pass through, even with the smaller lids.

I can fit my sleeping bag and the 4 person Kelty tent in the dry spec bag with room to spare. I put the sleeping bag in first, then the tent. I even stuffed a full size down pillow in there :) I like my comforts. :)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Maybe this should be in the "Batten Down the Hatches" thread. We're under a blizzard warning and expecting 6-8" of snow and winds at 30-40mph w/ 50+mph gusts.

So I decided that this would be a good time to test my HalfDome 4. I've got it pitched out in the back yard. I didn't guy out the fly, so I may get some dampness in the tent. My wife thinks it'll blow away -- I sure hope not!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mainly whether it keeps the snow out and doesn't blow away.

bicyclist

It's not really a 4 season tent. I'd be concerned about a snow load crushing it.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I don't think snow will stick to it that much. Plus, looking at radar, I'll be surprised if we get any snow.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The fact that it is water is why I pitched the tent. Now it doesn't look like we'll get any snow at all.

Top Bottom