Half Dome 4 Tent

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Looks to me like the Camp Dome 4 is about 2 1/2 pounds heavier, another 1/2 inch circumference packed, and another 1 1/2 inches long packed. But you get 1 ft 4 inches more height. You don't have the vestibules that you do with the Half Dome 4. I think it was losing the vestibules that made me decide on the Half Dome.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I went to REI for the first time yesterday. I was a little disappointed they didnt have more tents set up. But what they did have set up helped me realize what I dont want.
I just hope the half dome 4 stays on sale long enough for me to get one

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I just hope the half dome 4 stays on sale long enough for me to get one
They'll probably have 3-4 more sales before you have to get a tent. The Half Domes have been on sale more often than not since I've been watching.

What did you discover that you don't want in a tent? For me, one thing I don't want is poles that fit into sleeves. I really like REI's clips and color-coded poles.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
well, all I really saw was the quarter dome and some other non REI stuff...forget what else... I just decided that for me, for the money, the half dome 4 is the best value
I am going to try not to go crazy starting out.
Tent
Pad
Sleeping bag
pillow (s)
LED lantern
Chair
and most likely Dry Spec luggage

bicyclist

In your search for gear, you might stop in and look around one of the Bass Pro shops. I know that there is one just off 30 where it crosses Lake Ray Hubbard. I stopped there to get some elastic cord on one of my trips.

I agree with the others, though, the REI Half Dome tents are pretty good.

bicyclist

well, all I really saw was the quarter dome and some other non REI stuff...forget what else... I just decided that for me, for the money, the half dome 4 is the best value
I am going to try not to go crazy starting out.
Tent
Pad
Sleeping bag
pillow (s)
LED lantern
Chair
And don't forget the footprint for under the tent. The one REI sells for the tent fits perfectly, but you can save some money with a tarp, piece of plastic or piece of Tyvek house wrap.

Other than that, the stuff you've listed is all you need. Anything else is just for convenience and you'll figure that out with experience.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Im very familiar with that Bass Pro Shop at the lake. I'll have to swing by there. I'll have to see if the tarp I have will work. I only used it one time to see Robert Earl Keen do a 4th of July concert down by the lake at The Ballpark after a Rangers Game

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I would say if you are on a budget ...
I am pretty lucky. My budget is pretty much self-imposed - military retiree working 15 years in Saudi Arabia (not oil, darn it; defense electronics). I could get an ST or FJR. I just choose not to. The price difference between one of those and an NT will buy a lot of camping gear.

I agree with your priorities, but as I said earlier, I really like the way the Twisted Throttle bags pack. I am not a neat freak, but it looks much neater than 4 or 5 bags of varying sizes tied to the back of the bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tent
Pad
Sleeping bag
pillow (s)
LED lantern
Chair
You're getting basically what I got. I splurged and bought a Kermit chair ($139 + $40 for the leg extensions + $18 for the cup holder). There are a lot of cheaper chairs, but most of them don't pack as small and most of them aren't as elegant (and that matters to a "class" guy like me :cool:). I don't plan on doing much (if any) cooking.

The REI footprint folds small and fits perfectly. I've got it, too.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I really like the way the Twisted Throttle bags pack. I am not a neat freak, but it looks much neater than 4 or 5 bags of varying sizes tied to the back of the bike.
+ 1 on the Dry-Spec bags.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
NOw there you go changing the story Phil,

I distinctly recall Rick saying you agreed to and said you were going to be serving him with hot expresso and a sweet roll every morning before he had to roll out of the bed.
E;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You done flipped that promise, Eldon! It's the other way around. :)

Bike
Don't forget Mosquito traps, those bloodsuckers up North there are equal to the ones at Utipile Thailand, where they would wave off the B 52's so the mosquito's could land!

Poptarts and not give him any! You are most certainly a crule sounding sort of guy!:smile:

Bike
HMMM! I question your good judgment about the smaller tent, I think in a buggy situation that your one piece stich will provide total protectyion from no-seeums etc.

Bike
FOR sure, Probably will get you a extra 5K per tire from the loaded weight reduction too!!!!!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Ahem... this thread is way off topic. The topic is the Half Dome 4 tent not my weight. I may have to moderate you guys.

Top Bottom