Help!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck, I was going to disconnect the headlight but the service manager didn't think I'd need to for such a short ride. WRONG! LOL!

All you guys are sure eager to help me spend money I don't have!

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Hey Chris your coment about black with silver big lids gives me a idea!!!

Eldon

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Re the "Help" subthread of this radar detector/laser jammer thread. :rofl1:

I just got a call from Interstate Honda. My battery posts were cracked and that had caused a bad connection to the bike's electrical system and melted part of regulator/rectifier. Honda won't pay for the repairs because I had too much stuff connected to the battery.

They're going to clean up my wiring job. I'll get the bike back next Tuesday when I get back from my brother's funeral. It'll probably cost me close to $600. Less than two payments on the '13 FJR I looked at. :)

Bike
Is this the shop and mechanic yu have dealt with for so long, or a different one they are looking for a way to weasle out of a costly repair!!! SHAME ON THEM!!!

If this was a dealer that would like to keep you as a customer they are not showing it!! give you 3 guesses what I would be saying to them!!!

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am with you Chris. I can't think of a better bike for my daily commute. We have been seeing a lot of rain with temps in the low 40's and yet I still look forward to getting on my NT and heading to work in the morning and returning at night.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Honda won't pay for the repairs because I had too much stuff connected to the battery.
I thought you had a Fuse Block for your accessories? How many wires did you have tied to the connectors? I can't imagine a battery post cracking just due to additional wiring being connected...:confused: Someone seriously over tightened the connectors could do it though.... Maybe that photon phaser laser disrupter was a bad idea after all....;)

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Word to the wise. If you are taking your bike in for Electrical Warranty Work, Disconnect all electrical accessories from the bikes electrical system. Make sure only OEM connections are made to the system, as that is easiest way for the shop to deny a warranty claim. When you buy an electrical item/part from the shop it will not be warrantied if you install it yourself. Also use a aux fuse panel to make your electrical farkel connections. Battery terminals can be fragile if too many items are attached to them. Phil make sure they have thoroughly checked out the stater also. If the regulator/rectifier is bad how stressed was the Stater? I know it is expensive, BUT, if it were my bike with that amount of miles I would replace both, Stater and Regulator/Rectifier.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Wish I was a fly on the shoulder of that mechanic....I am not saying a post couldn't crack "Just so" to create the problem...and I do know some bikes from the last century had funky primitive regulators that would "burn up" the unneeded watts instead of controlling the alternator output.....and if the battery attachment to the electrical system was intermittent, it would have more watts to burn up....But I am an expert on Yuasa Gold Wing batteries burning open after two years due to bad plate welds in the Penn. state plant. Happened to me three times....on tours, of course.....each time, the battery would "burn open" on start, when the current was highest. Then the battery became a paperweight. But I think we should give the mechanic the benefit of the doubt....better to find out now than on a long trip....and quit firing those photon torpedos and making all that current! :)
I thought you had a Fuse Block for your accessories? How many wires did you have tied to the connectors? I can't imagine a battery post cracking just due to additional wiring being connected...:confused: Someone seriously over tightened the connectors could do it though.... Maybe that photon phaser laser disrupter was a bad idea after all....;)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I noticed when I was putting the battery back in that the posts seemed "funny." I had too many things attached to the ground post, but only three attachments to the positive. I had a volt-meter/thermometer, the ground for my jacket, the ground for the battery tender lead, the ground for my cruise control, and something else (I'm blank at the moment) attached to the battery ground post. To the positive post, I had my jacket, my battery tender and the volt-meter/thermometer. All the other positives were attached to the Fuzeblock.

When I get back from my brother's funeral, I'll be with the mechanic who's going to optimize and clean up my wiring jungle.

I'm sorry this dealer didn't push for warranty service, but he said that Honda would want pictures of what might have caused my damage and if he showed them my squirrel's nest, he knew they'd turn it down.

I don't feel too bad about paying for this.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Have Guitarman post some pictures of his aux fuse panel. Who ever wired that bike did a good job. :wink:They even put a relay in it so when the bike is tuned off the panel is also off. No possible way for the farkles to drain the battery when the bike is parked. The only thig attached to the battery post are the battery tender pigtail, the aux fuse panel power lead, and the bike it's self

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My Fuzeblock will probably allow that. For some reason, I wasn't sure that my driving lights and my heated jacket would all run off the Fuzeblock without exceeding its capacity. I think they would have, and I'll check that out. I don't want my GPS connected to a switched relay because I want to be able to keep track of elapsed trip time on it. But the Fuzeblock lets you set up circuits so that they are switched or not.

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
You can also run your battery tender through an unswitched circuit on the FZ-1 to clean a couple of more wires off of the battery terminals.

Bike
I would wager I could name the person who wired guitar mans bike as described!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I would wager I could name the person who wired guitar mans mike as described!:rolleyes:
Eldon, you are DQd from the guessing because you have "insider" information.
My guess is Phil didn't do it. But then I'm DQd too.

Bike
Jim,

I wa in reference to The wiring on Guitar man's bike. as far as on Phil's I would make a wild guess that perhaps he was the guilty one .
Eldon

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Jim,

I wa in reference to The wiring on Guitar man's bike. as far as on Phil's I would make a wild guess that perhaps he was the guilty one .
Eldon
Ya, we all know that Mr Meticulous Chuck did it on his old NT in his garage that looks more like an operating room than a "normal" garage.
I'm just jealous. I wish someone would clean my garage - But then I'd never find anything.

Top Bottom