HJC Symax III

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Well, the title kinda gives it away.

My Shoei RF1100 is getting dinged up and the lining is starting to show wear. It's almost 7 years old now with almost daily use. I also have an HJC 3/4 helmet that works, but, is still just a 3/4. I will use it for quick errands. And, I wear glasses so my next helmet would be a modular with some sort of sun protection (visor or photochromatic). I would be happy with a helmet as quiet as the Shoei.

Have been looking for quite a while, reading just about every review and forum post I found. I really wanted a Lazer Monaco Carbon, but, the price and questionable quality/quietness still bothered me enough not to order one. Finding consistent information about how quiet a helmet is certainly frustrating. For every person that said a certain helmet was quiet was another who said it was noisy. Even a few owners of the Shubert said it was noisy! Wow.

And weight was a factor. I really wanted to stay near the weight of my Shoei (it hit the scale at 3lb 15 1/4oz). That meant the Shoei Multitec and Neotec were really at the upper end of the weight scale (even over it by a bit). This also ruled out helmets like the Shark Evoline.

So, I had narrowed my choice down to a few.
Nolan 91 or 104
HJCSymax III
LS2

I had left out the expensive ones merely because I did not see enough additional value for the money. Replacing a $600 helmet every 6-7 years was out of the question. The other helmets in the same price range, such as the Bell Revolver, had consistent complaints about noise so I took them off the list.

I traveled around the city looking for helmets to try on. I knew my Honda dealer had HJC so that was the first stop. The Symax III was a really good fit. The quality is much better than my older 3/4. I liked the sunshade and how the chinbar and visor operate.

So, then to the Nolan. I got lucky and a shop had a 104 in my size. Now, I do have largish ears. The liner of the Nolan has a layer that cuts across the top of my ear. I was REALLY disappointed cause the rest of it was really nice. I asked about a 91 and the dealer showed me a pic that had the same kind of liner (don't know if that is true or not).
[note: The same dealer had a Shark Evoline that I tried on. It was noticeable heavier than the Nolan next to it, fit was good and quality seemed good so if weight is not an issue you might try one]

I was about to order an LS2 to try out when I got a note from a Guzzi rider. He had tried a Symax and didn't like the modular thing (he got an HJC RPHA-10). It was the right size so I got it for a really good price. I figured if it didn't work out really well I could keep it as a spare.

End result is it is a really nice helmet. Less wind noise than the Shoei but about the same road noise. Probably cause the ear pockets have a much better seal. The visor works as advertised even though it could be a little darker (common issue for every drop down visor I have seen, may be a govt reg somewhere). And just for info my Symax weighs 1oz less than the Shoei. Keep in mind that I wear an XL in Shoei shapes and L in the HJC.

So, still don't know about the LS2. I may still try one someday. It also makes me interested in the HJC RPHA. If the cheaper Symax is good, is the more expensive helmet that much better? Don't know.

So, for now my search is over. Will still keep an eye out for other helmets to try on when I get a chance.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
A friend who I ride with has an HJC Symax III and likes it very much--particularly the sun shade and the fact that it goes on easily over his glasses. I have a Bell Revolver and like the weight, comfort, and sun shade. I don't find it particularly noisy--then again I always wear ear plugs. I like my older Nolan N-102. I don't like the sun shade--the newer Nolans have internal ones now which are fine. I also have an HJC 3/4 which I use for short jaunts, hot weather, and riding my Cafe Racer

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Your comment on noise was a common one in many, many reviews and customer comments.

"....the helmet is a bit noisy but I wear ear plugs so it doesn't matter."

First, I do wear ear plugs on longer rides (hour or more) and the noise still matters to me. The thrumming of wind noise over many hours, even with ear plugs, is enough to make me crazy. Maybe it's the vibration in the helmet or something.

Second, when riding around town I do not wear ear plugs. For convenience and so I can hear traffice around me.

Third, listening to music through the headset. If the helmet is noisy it blanks out a lot of the music.

So, I want a helmet that is quiet to start with.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
PS I do wish there was a way to find out if a helmet is quiet enough without buying a ton of them. The problem is that every bike and rider have a different airflow to deal with. Even on common bikes like the NT. One rider sits an inch taller than another, or leans forward just a tad more, or has an aftermarket windshield, etc, etc. Even really minor differences will cause one person to have a noisy helmet vs another person. So, even if 3 or 4 riders think a helmet is quiet as a church, when I put it on and ride it on my bike it may not be.

Or even perception. Some may not mind a bit of low freq wind noise and others will. And some people do want to hear a rush or wind noise.

For me, the noise is the second biggest issue for a helmet (after fit). And I can't determine the severity of the issue until I ride with it.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Charlie

Re the Nolan: I bought an N91 a few months agao and was very excited til I tried to go for a ride. By design, it does not have ear cutouts in the liner, which was very painful for me. Quite a disappointment. I hate to hear what you said about the 104 because thats going to be my next try. Guess I'll have to see.

Re the RPHA: I think the biggest thing about the RHPA is the weight. Probably the lightest non carbon modular on the market
I hear its quiet as well

I am very keen to know how you feel about the Symax III once you've had it a while
Please do a follow up

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Will do.

I had tried a Nolan years ago and found it didn't fit my head shape. Now the new ones have the "wierd" liner (at least for me). I really wanted to like the Nolan too.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Now the new ones have the "wierd" liner (at least for me).
I read that the "no ear cutout" thing was a stab at accommodating people who wear glasses, but all it does is drive away the folks like me who cant have anything touching the ear while riding

Omitting the ear cutout was supposed to help slide your glasses in
I wear sunglasses frequently and never have trouble getting them in

Other than the liner issue, I thought the N91 was a great helmet

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I don't know about the glasses thing with Nolan. The HJC is tight around the cheek and temples. I like it cause it holds my glasses in place (I have a stubby nose so always have to push my glasses up).

One thing I forgot. Ventilation. This was highlighted in the webbikeworld review. The vents do little sitting behind the windshield. But, there is no chin curtain so air flows from underneath through the helmet. This is a really good thing in nicer and hotter weather. When riding to work these last three mornings it has been below freezing (today was 27F!, in MAY!). That air flow up underneath chilled my face a bit. If I were to ride for a longer period in that kind of cold I'd want to have something to keep my face warm or block that flow of air. I may try to add a chin curtain for mext winter.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Just one statement from me about this thread. Noise is solved by wearing earplugs. Wear them, so in the future you will be able to hear your grand kids laughter. I rode for 20 years with out them, My reason was, I disliked them in my ears. Until I noticed some hearing loss. Took about two weeks to get accustom to them. Now I don't go any where with out the plugs in my ears. You will be suprised at how quite and smooth your bike seems to run. Also when traviling with Rick, the ear plugs are great for his snoring.:eek1:;)

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I agree about ear plugs.

I do a lot of errands on my bike. 10 to 15 min at a time. Noise around town is no worse than driving with the car window open. I won't put in plugs for those short lengths of time. So, I do want a quiet helmet.

Yeah, I know the risks. Spent a good deal of my time in armored vehicles.

And I am still at over 90% of my hearing.

And the noise of the helmet is still annoying even with 33db ear plugs. That's why I look for a quiet one to start with. Then with the plugs it is even better.

Don't even try to tell me that a NOISY helmet is made quiet with ear plugs. BTDT many times. It just isn't the same.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
And the noise of the helmet is still annoying even with 33db ear plugs. That's why I look for a quiet one to start with. Then with the plugs it is even better.

Don't even try to tell me that a NOISY helmet is made quiet with ear plugs. BTDT many times. It just isn't the same
I kind of agree with you Charlie
I like my helmet, but it is quiter with the face shield open than it is with it down
Funny thng is, if I lean forward just a couple of inches behind my windshield, I am in the cone of silence, but raising it doesnt help. ( I always run in the middle position.)
If I raise it to find the quiet spot, the air coming under the windshield ruins it.
But if I bought a +4 I still wouldnt be happy becasue i dont like looking thru the windshield

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
That's why I had a +6 on my NT. Ran with it in the middle position and there was no air coming from underneath. Looked over the screen and air went over the helmet.

The problem with the NT mechanism is that it tilts the screen more vertical as it goes up. So, you raise it to get rid of turbulence and it creates more. Horrible design.

You might also check your helmet. The Shoei had an adjustable visor. If not adjusted correctly there was a wind 'whistle' due to the gap at the top of the visor. Readjusted and it would seal the gap and was quieter.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I have to take up for Rick...maybe only when he's really beat he might snore. I shared a room with him and didn't hear anything!
You must have been really tired, Clay! I could hear him when we shared a room; although I don't remember hearing him when we were in tents about 6' apart.

He didn't snore all the time and when he did, it wasn't terribly annoying. But he snores.

I still love him.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've got tinnitus like Rick. Mine came from a combination of hunting with high-powered rifles (7mm Magnum), flying small aircraft, working on drilling rig floors, and (this was the biggie) an ototoxic antibiotic called Vancomycin that was given to me when I was fighting an infection in my transplanted knees back in late '63.

I always wear earplugs when riding. I've never tried the ones Rick's recommending, but I guess I'll give 'em a shot.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Ahh. Now that I've looked at that chart, I don't think I'll try the Etymotics either. Clever data-interpretation, though. Who'd've ever thunk to put the lower reduction on top of a chart?

Well, I'll see in a while. I push the foam plugs very far into my ear to the point I often have to use the temple piece of my glasses to pry them out a bit. I had a hearing test last August and it turns out I can't hear anything above 4Khz anyway, so I'll be interested in seeing how this goes.

Terry

Top Bottom