HJC Symax III

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I've got tinnitus like Rick. Mine came from a combination of hunting with high-powered rifles (7mm Magnum), flying small aircraft, working on drilling rig floors, and (this was the biggie) an ototoxic antibiotic called Vancomycin that was given to me when I was fighting an infection in my transplanted knees back in late '63.
Like a lot of you, I wear hearing aids - the result of a very noisy environment while in Vietnam. I used to suffer from tinnitus badly until I was fitted with hearing aids, and still have it when I take them out at night.

I've tried the foam ear plugs, but when they're in for awhile, they seem to irritate the inside of my ear, so I stopped using them. (I have a box of them lying around.)

My hearing loss is in the high frequencies. Rick thinks so highly of the Etymotics and he has the same hearing loss I have, I admit I am still thinking of using them, even with the slightly deceptive chart they have on their site. I'm looking forward to reading other's experience with them.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Foam earplugs have to be inserted quite a bit. For those with smaller ear canals there are smaller foam ones, usually labeled for women (and frequently pink :) ). I use them sometimes when the larger ones irritate my ear.

I tried the flanged versions like the etymotics and they are worse on my ear.

Some have good luck with swimmers or wax ear plugs.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I tried all sorts of ear plugs and found that they made my Tinnutis worse (Like Phil, Vancomycin and Daptomycin did a job on my ears) The Daptomycin was the only thing that killed the MRSA before it killed me--so a little Tinnutis was worth it. I did go to a Hearing Aid Center and had custom ear plugs made. They were expensive-$200, but they are comfortable and do the job well. An alcohol swab cleans them easily.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
So, an extended use report is in order here.

I now have about 5000 miles of use out of my Symax III. Commuting, around town errands, short rides and long rides.

First, not much use in rain. Have only ridden through rain a couple of times and it was not very long,5-10 min. So, cannot comment on leaking if any. I suspect it will leak at some point the way the sun shade mechanism is fitted on the top of the helmet. With my fairing and windshield it will take a heavy rain for quite a bit of time to get enough water exposure to show any leaks.

Wind noise. Again, I have a windshield and fairing that provides a 'bubble' around the helmet, no direct air. But, in a cross wind I do get a lot of wind on the helmet. Wind noise goes up a bit, but, still not as bad as my Shoei RF-1000 was. Wind is still not as loud as the road noise.

Road noise. After getting this helmet I also replaced the mufflers on the bike. It is quite a bit louder now. Most noticeable when open throttle on uphill roads. As I stated before, the helmet does not attenuate road noise as well as the Shoei. I think it is due to a plastic shell vs the thicker fiberglass used in the Shoei. The road noise is probably the only real complaint I have with the helmet. Yes, I do wear ear plugs on longer rides. Ear plugs do not cut out the noise, they just reduce it to non-harmful levels. The road noise is still irritating at the end of a 10 hr day and it will mask out my music on the helmet speakers.

Fit. Just finished a 7 day, 3000 mile trip. Many, many hours wearing the helmet and no fit issues at all. Very comfortable at the end of 10 hr riding days. More importantly, my ears did not hurt after a day of taking the helmet off and putting it back on many times in a day.

Visors and chin bar. The only issue here is that sometimes the chinbar latching 'sticks'. I have to push on the chin bar to release the latch. Still a one hand operation. The sunshield works well and covers the entire vision area. I don't carry sunglasses anymore. I did add a strip of black tape to the upper edge of the clear visor. That way I can tilt my head down a bit when riding directly into the sun. The clear visor has a pinlock for anti-fog. So, it works fairly well, but,not as well as I would like. I will go back to some wipe on anti-fog stuff if the pinlock proves less that satisfactory during my winter commute.

The one thing it has done is get me addicted to a modular helmet. Wearing glasses it is a great convenience to not have to take them off all the time.

So, would I buy it again? Given the alternatives, probably yes. Especially if I could get it for $100 :) I'd still be interested in trying a Lazer or LS-2.

I'd also still like to try a Schuberth. I just won't shell out that kind of money without knowing for sure that they are that much better.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Charlie,

That is a well written report! I am certain there are many here that will find it very useful. You metioned weaing it for long days, but with multiple on and off times. For me the best thing about a Modular are two things, the ease of dealing with eye glasses, and in my case I demand a hemlet that I can put on before dylight and not take off until dusk or later and still be comfortable inHave you had a occasion to keep yours on for 8 - 10 hours of ride time without removing it yet?

Being a confirmed Schulberth user I will probably never use anything else unless forced to as I was last spring when I had a broken visor problem and bought a heavy uncomfortable replacement in a Bell only because that was what was available at the time & location. AS soon as Igot home I went back to my older Multitech until my primary unit came back to me completely repaired as well as with replaced liners etc.

Iliked my multitech and probably should have bought another while they were still available, but I also disliked the chin strap fastener and the waer tha got into it on the inide of the face shield in the rain.

LOL Helmlets are much like bikes, tires & oil, and other riding gear; some swear by one, others by another. If it suits your needs and you feel safe and secure wearing it I say go for it!

Eldon

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I envy all of you with relatively normal shaped heads. You have so many options. When I spent several hours helmet shopping, I discovered I have what Arai calls a long oval head. The only thing that fit well was the Arai Signet-Q. It is a most excellent helmet, but it is no-frills. Modular would be nice, but I really would like a built-in sunscreen.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yeah, I thought I had a weird shaped head when I tried on the cheaper helmets cause none of them fit right. Then I went to the Shoei and now the HJC and found I have more of a round head. But, as I found this time, head shape is only a part of it. The way the mfg constructs the liner is even more important. Nolan really screwed up, IMHO, when they redid the liner on their new helmets. Those of us with bigger ears are kinda left hanging. I really did want to buy a Nolan until the deal on this HJC came up.

Eldon, no, I have not left mine on for 8hrs. The longest was 4hrs (between meals :) ). Still very comfortable. I do like that I can leave it on while making shorter stops. Gas station attendants don't look funny at me if I walk in the store with the chinbar flipped up. Not like wearing a FF when they think you are going to rob the place (especially if you forget to flip up the tinted visor :) ). I'll never have anything but a modular.

When it comes time to replace the HJC I'll go shopping around again, but, hopefully, that won't be for another 5-7 years.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I have been wearing Symax and Symax II's ever since I went to flip ups. My next helmet will be a Symax III as I believe it is the best value for the money. I to have that European Round Head and Shoei fits best but HJC Symax is a better deal. I have been wondering about the CL-Max. Anybody been running one of them. Thoughts.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Charlie,

Thanks for the answer to my question.

I just don't remove mine particularly if my ear plugs are doing a good job and everything is comfortable including head scarf / linner. I use the modular for the ease of using glasses , and also if I want, or need to eat and with out removing head gear like going through a drive through, or grabing a food product at a gas / convenience store. I have never gotten a second look when keeping hemlet on with lid open when in thre store, like heading first to restroom , and then making a purchase etc. coments I have received are more like isn't that thing heavy, uncomfortable , hot etc, & I explain it as that it is more trouble to get everything readjusted for comfort if I remove it.

So as a normal for me I don't use a sit-down restaurant until evening after I am stopped for the night. I I have to ride to someplace for breakfast , or dinnerI will do so with out er plugs etc , just slip helmlet on with head scarf and go, then after eating take the time to get everything right and set for the day.

My way works for me, just as when I end up with a group of riders, stopping for a break, they are off their bikes stretching etc trying to get there butts comfortable. If I need a bathroom stop I will get off bike, but come right back to it and set on my saddle. everyone will look at me and ask how I can stand to stay on that thing so long, I laugh and say Russell ! They just don't understand why I always spend a lot of $$ on a seat even when they see how much I enjoy it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
You're right. It is how we ride. I stop for brunch after a couple of hours. Then ride for 4 and stop for late lunch/early dinner. Then a few more til I stop for the night. I like to sit down and eat. I use the time to make phone calls and check email and such. Sometimes planning out the next stage of my route and where I will stop.

I get off my bike at gas and rest areas to rest my neck muscles. I have not done enough miles for them to be used to long hours at that angle (helmet or no helmet). One reason why I need a more sit up position. I'll be adding risers to the Guzzi to help fix that (finally, I hope).

Seats. Yes. I loved my Russell on the NT. I did my own on the Guzzi and I need to tweak it a bit more to be as comfortable as the Russell. It is close, but, not perfect yet. I have always wondered why bike mfgs did not make more comfortable seats. It is not rocket science. All it takes is the right foam in the right place. Instead the mfg's insist on a single density of foam, and a seat pan shaped by the designers, not riders. Gold Wings are usually good, as are some of the HD's (Road King). Most of the rest are poor at best.

Tim

Bike
2010 NT700V silver
I have a HJC Symax III helmet. I bought it in June of this year, and have about 6000 miles on it so far. Unfortunately the noise issue is such that I wouldn't buy another one.

It was in a nice spot price-wise. It seemed better made than the sub $200 helmets, but was much less than the high dollar helmets. I have the neon yellow model. I like everything about the helmet except the noise. I like the fit, the way the modular parts work, the hi-viz, and the sun visor. It also feels very solid and safe. (Not that I want to tryout the safe part)

The wind noise is very irritating. I have tried a couple of differant brands of earplugs, and multiple windshield positions. The helmet seems to let in just the frequencies that cause my ears to ring. The helmet noise problem also seems to be getting worse. I think this due to the padding breaking in, and allowing more air noise to get to my ears. Part of it is most likely my own fault for not protecting my ears when I was younger, but I do agree with the others on this thread who think this helmet is too noisy. When I am looking for my next helmet, noise will be right behind safety when I shop and read reviews in determining what I buy. I really like the convenience of a modular, but will give that up if I can't find one that is quieter.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Both the Shoei Neotec and the Schuberth C3 are pretty quiet modular helmets.

I do wear ear plugs and with the windscreen at its max height my Neotec is super quiet.

With the screen all the way down I do get some air noise but its not enough to be bothersome.

Unfortunately both helmets are a tad on the expensive side

Last edited:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Interesting thread. My symax II has gotten a bit battered with time and the Hi Vis SyMax III arrived yesterday. I dislike the toss out the old and buy a new one mentality of modern life but this is in some cases the thing to do. The new lid has that wow is this tight not broken in yet feel. Where is the point that broken in becomes broken down... I want to retire my helmet while it still has the ability to provide the protection it should give me. Rather than ride around with a lid that no longer gives full protection.
[video=youtube_share;Sqe8suU2Q5k]http://youtu.be/Sqe8suU2Q5k[/video]

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Where is the point that broken in becomes broken down... I want to retire my helmet while it still has the ability to provide the protection it should give me. Rather than ride around with a lid that no longer gives full protection.
Five years from the date of manufacture label inside the helmet according to most manufactures. And that five years includes any "shelf time" so if possible check the new helmets manufacture date prior to purchase.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I have worked tech inspecting gear for SCCA events and time is one factor. My lid was only three years old but I thought it was time to go.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have never really understood the time factor on helmets. One story was the styrofoam breaks down over time so you lose the 'cushion' for a crash, but, I have never seen any data to support that. I wish someone could come up with a definitive response. I had heard the 5 year thing but then Shuberth has a 7 year guarantee, so, what is the difference?

Until then I will continue to change out a bit after 5 yrs. Usually by then I have dropped mine enough that I feel the shell is compromised anyway. (I am trying to be more careful with my current lid :) ).

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I am going to change my HJC IS16 after three yrs. At $161 I have no problem letting it go after 3 instead of 5
I am going to replace it with a $135 HJC that is Snell rated and I will probably change it out just as quickly

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My question about the lifetime is related to how much I would spend for a helmet. As long as I 'must' change helmets every 5 yrs then I will never spend more than $500 for a helmet. It also makes me wonder about the Shuberth 7yr warranty. They must feel like their helmets are good for a lot longer than 7yrs. What makes them believe that?

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Wore the new lid yesterday. took some pictures of the lids together and you can see some of the changes.

What the pictures don't show is the helmet is quieter. The fiberglass shell seems much the same but the vents have changed a bit and the little details must have smoothed up the airflow. Didn't weigh them yet but it has nice balance on my head and am happy so far.

Popped the "moonsuit" in a front load washer on delicate with some Woolite and am now painful to see.

Top Bottom