How to take off the oil filter.

I just used a strap wrench for removal if I could not get it off with my hand....and "hand tight" for installation.

I fell victim to the "too long" oil filter scenario. I was getting ready to go on a trip and changed the oil and filter, and I had a left over filter from my ST1100 that looked like it would work as it was only a bit longer. I got the filter installed and it fit fine, put in the new oil, started it up and checked then shut it off and adjusted the oil level - everything was ready for my trip. When I pushed the bike off the centerstand and rolled the bike into the garage.....I looked back and saw a long trail of oil from the driveway into the garage! That darn centerstand poked a nice little hole in the end of the long filter - I am so glad I saw that before I went on my trip!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I went through the too long filter also. I think a bad cross reference got me there.
The first time the centerstand just dented the filter. The next time it cut it.

Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Cross references usually relate to the thread size on the spud and the sealing gasket diameter, not the physical dimensions or the filtration characteristics or the bypass pressures or the burst strength of the case. When I first got the NT, virtually every filter cross reference to the Honda P/N would not work on the NT. Then I bought an OE Honda filter and lo and behold, Honda made their OE filter just a tad shorter to accommodate the NT and gave it a different P/N. That when I called the Wix tech guys and told them about the size issue and the NT center stand puncture problem. I gave them a link to the Tech Guy's You Tube video and six months later the WL 10000 appeared.

Mike

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Honda sells the correct short filter and a cap wrench as a kit (FILTER SET, OIL 15010-MCE-H51) or the filter alone. The kit costs about $20 and the filter about $10. You only get 2-3 uses out of the wrench before the hex shears off, though. And why does the hex break, you ask? Because even though I've been changing my own oil for decades and know how tight they're supposed to be, the filter freezes on there and is a total PITA to get off.
????? Never had that issue with the OEM wrench. Or the filter freezing on....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The fit of cap wrench to filter is pretty secure which is not a bad thing. Twice my sons who had different vintages of Honda cars drove off with the cap wrench in place. Days later I started looking for that wrench and had to call them. They looked then fessed up that it was still on the engine. After that I made sure it was on the workbench before they left my garage! :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yes, my cap wrench made by Lisle is also very snug. Sometimes you have to tap the edge with a small hammer to release it from the filter. The Chinese knockoffs are a little more loosey goosey.

Mike

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yes, my cap wrench made by Lisle is also very snug. Sometimes you have to tap the edge with a small hammer to release it from the filter. The Chinese knockoffs are a little more loosey goosey.

Mike
This sticking business is agravating and universal now. I have various techniques for freeing the wrench once the filter is torqued. Imagine if you went to tighten a nut on a bolt and the wrench stuck?????????????????

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If you are tightening the filter, when you get it snug, just rock the wrench back and forth with the ratchet handle or extension and it wiggles loose fairly easily. I snug mine by hand though.

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
This sticking business is agravating and universal now. I have various techniques for freeing the wrench once the filter is torqued. Imagine if you went to tighten a nut on a bolt and the wrench stuck?????????????????
At least the loose specs on the wrench kinda compensate for the highly variable paint thickness on the filters...;) Sticky, hot, cheap paint on an oil filter you're trying to remove is a PITA...:devilish:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
If you head to Spearfish in a couple weeks for the national rally, I'll have a couple of these as giveaways:

Bike
2010 red NT700 1983 VF750
I have two different size filter wrenches that work great. My wife bought them for me years ago, use them all the time! They'll fit any filter too!

Attachments

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I know I'm going to get beat up for this...But I can't believe anyone is using a wrench to put an oil filter on!
Lube the gasket and get it hand tight...job done!
Man, how many times do I have to tell you youngin's. You get old, you get arthritis and your hands get weak...a jar of peanut butter sents me to the drawer for a lid remover..:LOL:.but I do love a good challage. Next time I put on my XT filter, I am gonna see how many of those two turns I can twist on the filter with my bare hands...(y)
Still its better to undertorque an oil filter than overtorque one....

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Always used this type filter wrench. I found the small one back when Honda first went to the screw on and it's still working fine for the NT. Actually fit my 4 wheeled vehicle now also. I tighten all screw on filters hand tight and ad just the slightest bit with the tool. Never hard to remove. 14265

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V - ABS
Thanks Mike! And also thanks to all the other contributors to this oil change thread.
The task was far more simple than I expected.
1. NT on the side stand worked great. 2. I removed the Honda filter easily with a cap-type filter wrench. It has a 17mm nut on top, so a box-end wrench fit perfectly. 3. The Wix filter was found at the O’Reilly closest to home. 4. The Wix filter was slightly smaller than the Honda filter so I used a different cap-type filter wrench that fit it better. The cap-type wrench accepted a 3/8” drive extension. 5. The extension fit neatly thru a triangle-shaped hole below the frame, so after hand tightening I was able to attach a torque wrench below the left side of the NT for further tightening.
BUT.... the filter was already hand tight. I saw no need to torque it to 19 ft.lbs.D53D6436-12AB-4FB4-BB78-5A05FB30C6F4.png7CCFF1E9-6046-4704-9D78-1B96C50858E6.jpeg

I got 4 M1-108 oil filters brand new in the box that fit the NT perfectly which I don't need anymore and will give away to the 1st 4 people to respond. 1 per customer, please, to spread the love. Just give an address by private reply to send to.
Drain plug - 22lbs
Filter - hand tight
I also have a factory owners manual excellent condition to give.

Attachments

Last edited:

lynnbpa

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I got 4 M1-108 oil filters brand new in the box which fit the NT perfectly that I don't need anymore and will give away to the 1st 4 people to respond. 1 per customer, please, to spread the love. Just give an address by private reply to send to.
Drain plug - 22lbs
Filter - hand tight
I also have a factory owners manual excellent condition to give.
PM sent.

Top Bottom