How to take off the oil filter.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
In regards to removing a tight, cap wrench - if you just apply light force in the opposite direction, it comes free.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I have a couple filter wrenches, but I've used a pair of channel locks to break the filter loose, then spin it off by hand. I spin on the new one till the gasket engages, then give it about a half turn by hand...never had a problem on any of my bikes. BB

Fantastic! I need an address and the filter will be in the mail tomorrow.
I got 4 M1-108 oil filters brand new in the box that fit the NT perfectly which I don't need anymore and will give away to the 1st 4 people to respond. 1 per customer, please, to spread the love. Just give an address by private reply to send to.
Drain plug - 22lbs
Filter - hand tight
I also have a factory owners manual excellent condition to give.
Still got 2 filters, and the owners manual.

If anyone's in the Kansas City area and needing service or assistance just let me know. My garage is a small shop and we could do just about anything it would take to get you back on the road.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
The trick for removing the filter wrench after installing the new filter is to merely apply force backwards so the edges of the tool slip off the raised edges on the filter can. If it's stuck on the old filter on your work bench, just use a punch and tap on the center - through the hex - and the filter will pop free. Simple!

I have had one filter wrench for more than 15 years so I have no idea what you're doing to break the welds on the hex!
Are you using the same oil filter on the NC and NT? The online part numbers are the same.
Thanks.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, both the NT and NC take the same filter; in fact, that same filter fits Honda motorcycles with engines designed after 1988-89. I think the only exceptions are the true dirt models because as far as I know, all the street bikes use the same filter.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Yes, both the NT and NC take the same filter; in fact, that same filter fits Honda motorcycles with engines designed after 1988-89. I think the only exceptions are the true dirt models because as far as I know, all the street bikes use the same filter.
I have 4 Honda's built prior to 1990 and the filter is is a 1M09, which is longer than the newer ones. A have a bunch of Mahle filters and they are about 1/4" shorter than the older Honda filters. Hopefully they will work.
THX.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The key phrase was "designed after 1988-89." A lot of the engines in bikes of that time were designed a long time before the late-80s.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
The key phrase was "designed after 1988-89." A lot of the engines in bikes of that time were designed a long time before the late-80s.
The earliest version of the 52 degree dual crankpin engine I recall, was in the 84 Honda Ascot....which had a shaft drive of all things. It was a good looking bike.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, I owned an '84 Ascot VT500 for several years and loved it - except for the puny fuel tank which had me looking for a gas station at around 80-100 miles. :-(

For the first 20 years of riding I bought well used bikes on the cheap so I had many bikes from the 70’s and 80’s. I remember the old paper element filters being such a mess. I find today’s spin on filters so much easier as long you’ve got the proper wrench lol.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Yes, I owned an '84 Ascot VT500 for several years and loved it - except for the puny fuel tank which had me looking for a gas station at around 80-100 miles. :-(
I rode a used one at a dealership and thought it was a great package. That was 85, and the muscle bike/sportbike trend was getting in full swing. up here.
I can't recall seeing one on the road in the last 25 years. Were they expensive compared to other 500cc bikes at the time?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I bought it used with low miles so have no idea about the original MSRP. I'm sure there were lots of 500s much faster and probably cheaper.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I bought it used with low miles so have no idea about the original MSRP. I'm sure there were lots of 500s much faster and probably cheaper.
I still have my 1983 VT500C Honda Shadow (Black) in my storage unit. I bought from the original owner in 1984. Fun to ride, but never took touring. Due to moves and assignments, it sat pickled for long periods. Just got tired of removing the carbs, petcock, etc for cleaning every time I took it out of storage.

Top Bottom