JC Whitney top box

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
The bottom line is, all top boxes are just plastic and some metal mounting system. Undoubtedly, there are differences. But $400 worth!?!?!? I would love to have a Givi factory rep explain that.

-30-
I don't want to start a big ethical discussion here (probably a faint hope). But it could largely be the difference between paying 12 year olds in yuan or dong vs. 50 year old union workers in Euros. No moral judgement intended here, just sayin...

Bike
Silver NT700V
Looked hard at the Givi cases (we have a dealer here). Bought the J C Whitney. My take:

1. There is no doubt that the fit and finish of the Givi cases is far superior.
2. The mounting of the JCW seemed more simple.
3. There was a smell at first, it is gone now.
4. Hideous orange trim cured with Krylon Fusion black paint for $3.
5. Found it open on a trip once. Clear operator head space (mine). No issues since.
6. The case has never leaked, even in a 10 hour rain ride.

Looks are subjective. I don't think Harley cases look any better (or worse) than others. All are appendages. Personally, I think a top case makes the bike look and act more functional.

My 2 cents; yours may vary.

OP
OP
suvcw04
Bike
2010 NT700V
Looked hard at the Givi cases (we have a dealer here). Bought the J C Whitney. My take:

1. There is no doubt that the fit and finish of the Givi cases is far superior.
2. The mounting of the JCW seemed more simple.
3. There was a smell at first, it is gone now.
4. Hideous orange trim cured with Krylon Fusion black paint for $3.
5. Found it open on a trip once. Clear operator head space (mine). No issues since.
6. The case has never leaked, even in a 10 hour rain ride.

Looks are subjective. I don't think Harley cases look any better (or worse) than others. All are appendages. Personally, I think a top case makes the bike look and act more functional.

My 2 cents; yours may vary.
What was the price difference?

elizilla

A Givi E360 in matte black is currently $195.30 on the twistedthrottle.com site. (This is the Givi that the JCW is probably copying.)

The JCW case comes with a generic plate that you have to bolt to something. Givi's generic adapter plate like this, you have to buy separately. It is $63.00.

So if you go with the closest Givi equivalent, it's gonna cost you $258.30. Which is more expensive, true, but not as much more expensive as Phil's "scientific" guess.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I know I've mentioned this before, some folks wear Levis and some wear Wal-Mart pants. In both cases their butts are covered but the ones wearing Levis are probably covered a bit better. Plus...when's the last time you saw one of those parking lot trailers offering to buy your old Wal-Mart pants?

It's not so different with Givis, they seem to be made pretty well and it's up to the buyer as to whether or not they're worth the price. If I had to choose between using a JCW box or none at all I wouldn't hesitate, I'd have one. OTOH all of us made the choice to buy an NT which is a higher cost bike than any number of others. We could have gone with a cheaper model but we didn't; and for myself it's pretty much the same deal, the difference in cost seemed like it was worth it.

LL75

Bike
Silver NT700V
What was the price difference?

The price difference was about $180. Twisted Throttle has the E360 for $195 and the rack for $110. The JCW case came with the mounting plate for $110 shipped. I added about $15 in common harware items to mount the plate (bolts, bushings) so my total installed cost was aout $125 - $130.

Now I feel less guilty about being on my second custom seat.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I only paid $79.95 plus shipping ($12) for the JCW version. Would not have paid much more.

I got the JCW because I have never had a trunk and wanted to try one out. Could not justify almost $300 for something I might not like.

So, got it and use it. Works well. I still think trunks are ugly. They look like a warts.

Result is I like the convenience. And I have found that having a lot of weight up that high has not screwed up the handling as much as I thought it would.

I'd still like one more integrated into the back of the bike. I mean, if they can integrate the side cases, why not the trunk? I'd also like to see someone offer a solo seat option with a bigger trunk that also uses up the passenger seat space.

But, if anyone did come up with something, they'd want near $1000 for it, which means I would not buy it unless offered as a factory option (in which case it'd probably be $3000 :) ).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I bought my first Connie, I got a trunk because I felt like Joanne would feel more secure with it than without it (She agreed 110%, BTW!). I figured I'd take the side bags off except for when I was traveling. But then I learned that some things just carry better in the side bags than in the trunk...and some things carry better in the trunk than in the side bags. And some things (think a week's worth of groceries) need both. I never rode the Connie without both the side bags and the trunk.

Same deal with the NT. I use both the panniers and the trunk nearly every day.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I only paid $79.95 plus shipping ($12) for the JCW version. Would not have paid much more.

I got the JCW because I have never had a trunk and wanted to try one out. Could not justify almost $300 for something I might not like.

So, got it and use it. Works well. I still think trunks are ugly. They look like a warts.

Result is I like the convenience. And I have found that having a lot of weight up that high has not screwed up the handling as much as I thought it would.

I'd still like one more integrated into the back of the bike. I mean, if they can integrate the side cases, why not the trunk? I'd also like to see someone offer a solo seat option with a bigger trunk that also uses up the passenger seat space.

But, if anyone did come up with something, they'd want near $1000 for it, which means I would not buy it unless offered as a factory option (in which case it'd probably be $3000 :) ).
Actually they did come up with one, it's called a Gold Wing and Honda builds it. You have to get out more often Chuck...:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Larry,

You're right, and if they made the rear of the NT look as good as the GW it would make me very happy. Or as good as the Harley Road King bags.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Maybe they could strive for a Victory Vision look in an integrated trunk.

OP
OP
suvcw04
Bike
2010 NT700V
Check the CanAm Spyder forum, charlie b. There are A LOT of very unhappy people on there.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Actually I have visited the Can-Am forums quite a bit. The usual number who have issues and some very vocal minority of how bad they are, but, looks like a 1 in 100 of unhappy people, and the other 99% love them. There is also the usual number of people whose dealers are not prepared to work on them. Kinda like the NT's :) Nothing that would keep me from buying one.

Price isn't all that bad either when you compare to the bigger touring bikes.

Bike
2011 Pearl Black NT700VAB

I ordered my JCW Glossy Trunk yesterday. $79.99 + $15.49 shipping.

Was the install easy?

Is there a install guide for the NT700V?

Last edited:
OP
OP
suvcw04
Bike
2010 NT700V
Firefox111, there is no install guide for any bike. Go to the first post in this thread and look at my pictures. You will need 4 bushings/spacers and 4 bolts from a hardware store. You will also need 2 of the special nuts from a Honda dealer or get them at numerous places online.
You will need to remove the grab handles and the rear plastic piece. BE CAREFUL TO NOT DROP ANYTHING. There is a black hole back there into which stuff disappears and never returns, much like the center of our galaxy. The spacers on the grab handles like to drop out also.
You can do it. Just go slow.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
When I installed the new square nuts under the frame I used some RTV to hold them in place.

The hardest part is to drill the two extra holes in the bracket. No matter how I lined it up I could only get two holes lined up with the existing holes in the supplied bracket. Not difficult, but, measure twice (or three or four times :) ) and drill once.

Top Bottom