Nc700x

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I want a street legal dirt bike, that can also do the super slab if ask to. I don't even consider my NT a long distance tourer. I have an Electra Glide and BMW RT for the long trips...
Dirt bike and super slab do not usually go together. Both require different features on a motorcycle. I think the KLR650 might be the closest compromise but I am sure there are others depending on if you lean more to the dirt or super slab.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I personally believe the sub 800cc bikes do better on the dirt w/exception of the wee strom, I think that's still more of a slabber..

I think the >800 cc bikes do better on the slab..

I think the 800cc Tiger and BMW bikes are the best of both worlds.. Neither is best at slab or dirt, just right in the middle and a true Dual Sport...

All other offerings are clearly better at one thing than the other... but even then, some KTMs could be the exception there so...

Never mind.. LOL

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I want a street legal dirt bike, that can also do the super slab if ask to. I don't even consider my NT a long distance tourer. I have an Electra Glide and BMW RT for the long trips...
Well, I used to have a SL350 that I rode for years on interstates and jeep/horse trails both. Drove it from Denver to San Diego and back. I once drove down US 285 to the collegiate peaks area in Colorado, swapped the countershaft sprocket and rode it over tincup pass. Rode it in snow, city streets, interstate and US highways, gravel roads, sea level to the top of Mount Evans. Served me well. Price new: $729 (Hey, this was 1971).

So here's a bike that nominally fits what you describe. A mere 25 horsepower that could do 95 MPH. But I know that if they made that bike today nobody would want it.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The SL350 was a much better dirt bike than the previous CL350 scramblers were. While a little heavy compared to the two strokes of the time it actually held up pretty well off road.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
You will get a lot of answers on this. Even Honda's new CRF250L will be interstate capable since it shares the engine/6sp with the CBR250R. Like you, i wanted a highway capable dual sport. I wanted it to be "dirty" in that it would be okay off road. I didn't need a trials bike or serious motocross bike either. So I did lots of research and found the DR650 to be the best compromise for me. The irony of all this is that I have not even taken it "off road". I have only seen gravel roads so far. One of these gravel roads was freshly grated and really squirelly. So much so, that I would have never taken my NT down it. The Seat Concepts seat foam and cover was a cheap upgrade that turned the uncomfortable seat into quite a pleasant place to sit for a long time. Most recently I did a 250 mile day with an average speed of 72mph. This was the first time I spent this much time on the interstate. Posted speed said 75 or 70, inaccurate speedo said I had to do 80 to keep up with traffic. The DR will do it just fine, but since I haven't got a windscreen yet, I was tired after 100miles. These have been made virtually unchanged since 1996 so you should be able to find a good used one easily. I got impatient and bought a 2012. Within 3 weeks after buying mine, a perfect 2006 came up on craigslists in my town for only $2400. :(

I have heard good things about the highway manners of the BMW G650GS or older F650 (same bike really). They were just more money than I wanted to spend on the second "fun" bike.

Too Easy. KLR 650. Equip it out and it will take you anywhere. Have seen them in national parks all over the west and their riders love them. ANd those folks have gone a looooong way to get where ever they are going.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
We're probably wondering off topic, but I had an opportunity on my cross country trip to ride the NT on several dirt roads(gravel, washboard, and 5inches of "duff"- worst of all) and 2up. I thought it performed quite adequately. I wouldn't hesitate to take the NT down any graded dirt road.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The Sept issue of Cycle World that I just received has a ride report on the NC700X. They liked it and the only negitive was the single disc brake on the front.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Mine made it down the Moki Dugway so other dirt roads are a walk in the park :)

But, if you see a road with pea gravel on it watch out. Like little ball bearings.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I would have preferred to ride up it as well.

My brother planned the route and he thought we were on the same path he took on a bicycle ride the previous year. So, we were fat, dumb and happy until we got to that drop at the top. All I could think of on the way down was "Don't touch the front brake!". I did not want to test the ABS on that road.

elizilla

Dee, thanks for the review and pics! Very interesting.

tawilke46

Makes me pucker up just looking at it!
Heck, I was slipping and sliding backing my NT up at the Shed's parking lot.
It was a dirt and gravel lot.
Out of 90 motorcycles, I did not want to be the first or only rider to do a SAD!

Bike
Silver NT700V
I'm shamed. I don't even like the fine gravel parking lots like the one at The Shed. Chuck's pics show one one rider on the gravel road with an ST!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
But he looked as though he was stopped and having second thoughts as to "What am I doing here?"
That was already near the top. The secret to dirt riding up hill is to get your butt off the seat, stand on the pegs to get the Center of Gravity lower, and stay steady on the throttle. Loosen your grip and let the front wheel find its own and relax. If the front end really gets squirrely, let a bit of air out of the tire to give it more of a contact patch. Make sure you air it up again on pavement.

tawilke46

I would still be puckered up!!!!!!
A matter of doing it and practice to get comfortable with riding on loose surfaces.

Top Bottom