New PR4s

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I paid $304 for the set that got delivered to my house in Fort Morgan...]

Does that include the shipping charge or did you get free shipping?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
They give free handling on orders over a certain amount. A set of tires is well over that amount.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
My 020's (OEM) didn't far well at all, about 7300 miles. I got 10,500 out of my first set of PR2's (likely due to Super Slab use, however the next two sets only got about 8500. I just installed the PR4's and feel like the handling (new) is better than the handling (new) of the PR2's. Only have a couple hundred miles on them right now but will be able to give a better review between now and the middle of June (lots of miles planned) with many twisties and turns to come.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
0.065" tread depth? That's about 2/32 total tread depth if that is total tread depth. That tells me the tread indicators should be up as they are generally 2/32 high off the bottom of the tread. At 0.084", the rear is just about done also. Those tires are ready to go unless your measuring to the top of the wear bar. In that's the case you do certainly have a bit more room to run but tire wear isn't linear. The more worn the tire gets, the faster it wears.

I start tire hunting when my tires get within 1/32 of the wear bar (3/32 total tread depth).

I now have 16,634 miles on my PR3s. I mounted them with two ounces of ceramic grinding media ("ZIRMIL" 2.3 mm) in the front and three ounces in the rear for balancing, and have no visible cuping on either front or rear. The tires both still look good, in fact, with little or no evidence of "squaring off."

I measured the tread depth when new as 0.159" front, and 0.237" rear. These depths are now 0.065" front and 0.084 rear, for 0.094" of wear on the front, and 0.153" of wear on the rear. Assuming the same rate of wear, I should be able to get another 11,502 miles on the front before the tread grove at the center just disappears, and 9,132 miles on the rear. It's tempting to try it! The groves are deeper away from the center, so I guess I ride conservatively.

Almost all of these miles were at about 50 mph or less, with only a few hundred at freeway speeds, and on fairly new tarmac pavement. This bike is my daily commute transportation, and there were only a few "ice" days this year here in Florida.

Needless to say, I'm delighted with this result. PR4s next time! About next fall, I think . . .

Bill

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Are PR4s available???
My son has tried ordering them from about 3 different places and they are always on "back order". He is trying to get the heavier ones for his C14. Maybe that is the difference.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Are PR4s available???
My son has tried ordering them from about 3 different places and they are always on "back order". He is trying to get the heavier ones for his C14. Maybe that is the difference.
could be at times not in stock. I got mine from bike bandit 3 weeks ago for $298 for set(free ship)(not backordered). I have seen other prices from $303 to $307. so that would be the lowest I have seen and bought them for, if you are not in a hurry, look around and wait for another great sale.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I got mine from Bike Bandit this week. I didn't wait for a great sale and had to pay their full retail of $304. With shipping.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
How many kinds of PR4s are there? The Michlein web site only lists one. But on other forums they talk about three different grades. The top one is the "GT" which has a stiffer side wall for heavier loads (like the C14). I believe what most of us have is the "Touring" which is appropriately rated for our NTs. And there is a lower one for lighter bikes. I've never seen different ones listed by normal suppliers, but the COG forum discusses this. Anyone know what goes here?

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Any dealer that won't mount your tires isn't iterested in making money
They make money regardless of whether you buy your tires from them or not

I use two different Honda dealers and they have never even blinked at me walking in with my own tires

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The last pair of PR3's I bought from my dealer. I check online pricing and my dealer matched it so I bought from them and had them install them. For those of you that supply the tires to the dealer how do you get them there? I assume you ride your bike there and I am sure you don't try to carry the tires with you. Do you have the internet seller ship them to the dealer or do you make two trips ?

Bike
2010 Red NT700
If you take your topbox off the tires strap on and ride nicely...especially if you have ROK Straps

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Its interesting that they mention that the PR4 GT tire comes standard on the BMW R1200RT. Isn't the weight on the RT and the NT about the same ?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The weight's not too much different, but the R-bikes got a bit more power.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Could be but they only mention that the GT has stiffer side walls for heaver bikes. HP is not mentioned. In any case the standard PR3 seems to work fine on our NT's so I will probably stick to them or the standard PR4's.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
since I posted on this thread earlier, I just changed my front tire. took off Dunlop Roadsmart II @ 26,399 miles. I am very happy to get that, it surpassed my PR3 front mileage @ 22,119. I now have PR4 on both ends, with my rear tire now about 6,000 miles.

Top Bottom