New PR4s

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
took off Dunlop Roadsmart II @ 26,399 miles
Wow! That's really impressive. I sure didn't get that kind of mileage out of my Roadsmart II. Of course, you're commuting and you've smoothed the road out as much as you go back and forth on it. :)

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
yeah I was really happy to get that mileage. best of any tire that I have used. DISCLAIMER....... I ride my tires past wear bars, all tires front and back, just as the grooves first start to disappear. have not had any trouble with traction or riding in rain or even heavy rain, I just go slower on any turns. here is my tire chart for NT , 2 posts below................

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I got my PR-4GT Tyres last Friday. I had my independent motorcycle shop who does superb work, go over the bike, make all necessary adjustments, and mount the new tyres. The whole bill came to $519. He replaced the brake fluid and replaced the coolant. I supplied the O rings and the Honda 60 Moly Paste. The Honda stuff is expensive but well worth it since that ritual is not done often. He says that CV Joint Grease is the same thing. It is also a Moly Grease and more common in availability.

My PR-3s were worn to the point that the front had about 2000 niles left and the rear was toast because of a puncture--which would not seal with a Stop N Go mushroom plug. I got 11,000+ miles out of the PR-3s--which is not bad considering the condition of our roads in Maine.

I did get a chance to "test" the 4s in a rainstorm on Sunday. Many of the cruiser type bikes pulled over to the side of the road because they were sliding all over the place. A 'Wing, Interceptor, CX-1000 (6), Ninja 300, Triumph Trophy, BMW 1200, and Yamaha FJ, and myself had no problem besides getting wet. I can't figure that one out because we all had different tyres. I have to say that the 4s performed flawlessly. It rained so hard that we had standing water on the road. We had 32 bikes on that ride which ended with a Pig Roast (Under a canopy)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Many of the cruiser type bikes pulled over to the side of the road because they were sliding all over the place.
There is a price to be paid for those skinny front tires and huge rear tires that the "power cruiser" style bikes have mounted. I don't even want to know how some of them handle in dry conditions, much less in the rain!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My PR3 tires had 12,500 miles on them. The rear was at or below the wear bars in spots. The fronts were a little better but still pretty worn. I could have probably gotten a few hundred more miles out of them but I was in desperate need of new brake shoes. Since removing the wheels is a good piece of the dealers labor charge to do the tires or the brakes pads I decided to have them both done at the same time. It took them about three hours for them to complete the task. I now have PR4's and new OEM brake pads. To early to give a review on the PR4's but new tires always feel nice and the brake performance has definitely improved. Since I ride in the rain a lot during my commutes I feel much better with new tires and brake pads.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm thinking I'm going to be getting new tires before Spearfish. I'm also thinking I'm going to go back to PR4s. The rear T30 went from looking like it would last another 3,000+ miles to looking like it will be gone in less than a 1000 in just a few hundred miles.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I'm thinking I'm going to be getting new tires before Spearfish. I'm also thinking I'm going to go back to PR4s. The rear T30 went from looking like it would last another 3,000+ miles to looking like it will be gone in less than a 1000 in just a few hundred miles.
Same thing happened to both me and my son with the T30s.
But I'm still running the front one.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
We are almost home from Spearfish. Report later. PR4s were new on both our bikes when we left. After roughly 2k there is slight cupping/scalaping. We did a fair amount of travel at high speed. Just out of curiosity, how much more power percentage wise do you think an NT needs to put on the ground at 80mph over 70 mph, allother things being. Yes, I realize the tire will run hotter at the higher speed, which can not be changed.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
how much more power percentage wise do you think an NT needs to put on the ground at 80mph over 70 mph
Ask an engineer, not a motorcyclist. All I know is that wind resistance increases exponentially with speed. Therefore if you increase your speed from 70 to 80 (a 14% increase) the required power should be more than 14%. My answer - quite a bit more power will be required.

You could try to stick your hand out the window at 70 and again at 80 and measure the wind resistance with your hand. Or, put a stick out the window and measure the deflection of the stick in the wind. Then measure the deflection of the same stick with a scale at the different deflections. Or, just guess like me.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Scalloping is often caused by suspension problems or tyre pressure problems rather than speed/power factors.

Of course speed, power and riding style are all contributing factors to tyre wear but if these are fairly constant, do not discount the others.

Seagrass

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
For what it is worth, I regularly ride at 80 mph on PR4s. I've never had a scaloppng problem. Maybe, as sea grass suggests, there is another problem with your suspension. I run about 2 psi over factory norms.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
When I bought and had my PR4's installed by my dealer the service manager recommended I inflate them 2 lbs over recommended pressure to prevent scalloping and improve fuel mileage.

Jim

What is the recommended pressure for the PR4s on an NT700V. 36 and 42?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
What is the recommended pressure for the PR4s on an NT700V. 36 and 42?
Yep. I ran the Bridgestone T30s at 38 and 44 psi. I'll do that with the PR4s that are going on the bike whenever they get the new rear wheel for it.

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
Thans to this forum I found out that BikeBandit had the PR4 set on sale for $307, and I am having them mounted today. However, I got 15,500 miles out of my BT023's so the PR4's will be hard pressed to beat that mark. In fact, I have several thousand miles left on my front BT023 tire and there is no cupping, etc - but I am changing both tires. I was really tempted to go with the BT023's again as you can get the set for under $200 but I did want to try the latest and greatest in tires so went with the PR4. Wendell
I have had similar results from my BT023s.

I have 50,000 miles on the bike (purchased in July of 2012) and will soon need to order another set.
I go to the next larger size from the NC700s.
My dealer gets them directly from Honda and I am always out the door for under $300.

Dave

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
If I'd ever gotten 15K out of BT-023s, I'd still be using them.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
An ex-Michelin guy suggests running PR4s about 2-3psi over on the front and 3-4 psi over on the rear.

Personally, I find 2 psi over on both about right.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Just out of curiosity, how much more power percentage wise do you think an NT needs to put on the ground at 80mph over 70 mph, allother things being.
OK, I'll be the dork.

Power ∝ Speed?

Power at one speed (70 mph) can be set up as a ratio to a power at second speed (80 mph).

Power [SUB]70mph [/SUB]/ Power [SUB]80mph[/SUB] = 70[SUP]3[/SUP]/80[SUP]3[/SUP]

Cross multiply and solve for Power [SUB]80mph[/SUB] and you get

Power [SUB]80mph[/SUB] = (Power [SUB]70mph [/SUB] )X 80[SUP]3[/SUP] / 70[SUP]3[/SUP]

So regardless of what you assume Power [SUB]70mph [/SUB] is, power will have to increase by 80[SUP]3[/SUP]/70[SUP]3[/SUP] , or 49%.

Assuming 25 HP at 70mph, ~ 37 HP at 80mph.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
OK, I'll be the dork.

Power ∝ Speed?

Power at one speed (70 mph) can be set up as a ratio to a power at second speed (80 mph).

Power 70mph / Power 80mph = 703/803

Cross multiply and solve for Power 80mph and you get

Power 80mph = (Power 70mph )X 803 / 703

So regardless of what you assume Power 70mph is, power will have to increase by 803/703 , or 49%.

Assuming 25 HP at 70mph, ~ 37 HP at 80mph.
That sounded high to me. So . . . ... ... .

I worked it backwards by assuming the NT's top speed of about 120mph requires all of the NT's 65hp. That figures out to require 20hp to go 70mph and 29hp to go 80mph. And that figures out to be a 45% increase in power requirement. Your method produced an estimate of 48% increase in power to go from 70mph to 80mph. Amazingly close I think. Maybe I'll remove my windscreen and go try it - or not. No wonder the gas mileage plumits at high speeds.

And what does this have to do with PR4s anyway?

Last edited:
Top Bottom