NT700V LED Headlight Conversion For Under $30

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Hey All,

The replacement connectors arrived today. Exact the same part as I expected.
I snapped in the contacts into the housing as I specified in my previous post.

CBA946C0-3F89-418A-BACE-05D7D4C902A9.jpeg

090D302A-E04F-4358-AB5C-6E41B510775E.jpeg

I electrically tested the connections and everything worked as expected. The modified headlamp cable is ready to be installed into DIVA. I will probably perform the conversation over the weekend.

Bike
Black Deauville NT700
A Matter of Optics

The reflector and lens is designed to cast the light from an H7 filament bulb in a very specific manner. Compared to a cheap LED device, the filament is small and positioned in just the right place within the reflector to project a determined pattern of light.

Take a headlamp with a broken bulb mounting point, where a lit filament bulb can be moved around. As the bulb moves forward and backwards, the pattern defuses and for the dipped beam, the sharp cut off pattern disappears. As the bulb moves up and down or side to side, the spread of light changes. In the case of a cheap LED device, the light emitters are so large and/or dispersed that the effect is that of simultaneously having a filament in a multiplicity of wrong positions. The result is bright but with the light in the wrong places. It blinds oncoming drivers and disperses the light inefficiently. I am led to believe, and the logic appears coherent, that because the available light is spread all over the place that even less is sent down the road to where it would be most useful. Also, the stray light reflects back into the rider’s eyes, reducing sensitivity and making distant hazards more difficult to see.

Last year, I fitted Philips X-tremeUltinon LED gen2
11972XUWX2-APP-global-001.jpg
The light emitters are tiny and because of the thinness of the heatsink separating the two sides, it compares favourably with a filament. It produces a pattern with a sharp cut-off; very close that of the H7 filament.

The two Philips devices cost £115. A weatherproof block of electronics sits outside the headlamp enclosure. The fan/heatsink assembly screws off the device. I sharpen a length of half inch copper pipe and punch a hole through the centre of the headlamp’s rubber boot. The fan sits in the chimney containing the front forks and the LED part fits correctly into the headlamp. The weather and dust proofing for reflector and lens meets the original standard. Talking of dust proofing, take a bamboo barbecue skewer, attach a cloth to one end and clean the inside of the lens. I am sure that you will be surprised at the amount of muck produced.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Your observations are correct, Nick. A year or so ago I spoke with and engineer from Osram/Sylvania about this very thing. They were introducing LED's for automotive fog lamp applications, the H7 being one of them. He advised that the Sylvania LED element was designed to precisely match the filament orientation of the OE halogen incandescent bulb and the beam is dispersed identically. He also advised that of all the competitive LEDs that were tested, none of the Chinese bulbs were designed to match the halogen bulbs beam pattern. I've got a set to install on Traveller, all I need to do is find the ambition to do so ;).

Mike

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
A Matter of Optics

The reflector and lens is designed to cast the light from an H7 filament bulb in a very specific manner. Compared to a cheap LED device, the filament is small and positioned in just the right place within the reflector to project a determined pattern of light.
Seems to me that Optics is your area of expertise or am I mistaken?

I have observed a bit of as I refer to as "Light Scatter", which is dim light dispersal. The best way to describe it is at the dim faint ring around an old type flashlight where the beam was mostly focused in the center. You will not get an argument from me that the light reflector is designed for the specific bulb type and the placement of the filament is critical.

I designed and manufactured custom LED Light Products for Vintage Motorcycles for nearly 15 years. I used the stock lens that took care of the optics aspect for the most part. I only focused on the taillight and turn signals where applicable. This was also long before anyone offered any LED Headlight bulbs of any type or quality. I was always asked if I would consider making an LED Headlight solution on a regular basis. Being a sole proprietor with limited resources, I would always decline any of these types of inquires. I kind of knew what was entailed, the criticality, and the legal liabilities it would require. I simply stayed out of that arena for the previously mentioned reasons.

Having the experience that I do with LEDs and products of this type of nature. I am very selective of the LED bulbs that I select and use for my personal use. The technology surrounding these types of replacement LED Bulbs is constantly improving. Some are junk while some are decent enough to be considered a viable replacement.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The herein and forging information that has been posted within this thread is to be considered for "INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY". The reader who has decided to act upon it in part or in its entirety of the presented information has agreed to take "FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS" for the use or any implementation implied or otherwise directed. The poster of this information is granted the full release of any legal liabilities and any rights to indemnity. USE AT OWN RISK...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Going with a bulb that has a 1:1 mechanical layout will probably provide an accessible light pattern close to that replaces the Halogen H7 bulb.

From a mechanical standpoint regarding that particular unit. You are going to run into issues with the OEM dust covers as the back of that unit will exceed past the back of the headlight assembly. I do not believe that the exceeded dust covers that I used on my LED bulb installation would be enough for those units. I also believe that there will be a collision issue with the top bulb and the steering head. Also, the mechanical information provided is not for that particular unit as well.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I would recommend you take a look at these.

LASFIT 1:1 H7 LED Bulbs 6000k White

It has a 1:1 construction, 6000k, and is rated at 4000 Lumens. However, you might run into the polarity issue that I discussed in an earlier thread.

I must warn you that the first-time installation is quite a bit complicated. You will have to completely remove the headlight assembly to be able to perform the polarity switch on the connectors mentioned in my previous post. It cannot be done on the bike due to clearance issues.

0753D8EE-D9A4-45FF-8C04-A41490E54B5B.jpeg

B777A9F2-DB42-4EEA-87BA-40FFDED54673.jpeg

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I am pleased to announce that I finished the install of the Auten H7 LED Bulbs into DIVA today.

Please study the image below taken of the bulbs in action earlier today.

AUTENS H7_BeamTest.jpg

The following image boards outline some of the most challenging tasks regarding this migration to these different LED bulbs.

HeadlightRemoval.jpg

AUTENS H7_DustCap_Details01.jpg

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 red NT700 1983 VF750
Greetings all, Bruce, I seldom log in but I have been watching this thread for some time now. Last fall I bought the led bulbs with the built in fans that you started with and never got around to doing it till this spring. When I checked in to review the process I saw that you had found the plug and play Autens led bulbs, so I bought a pair and tried them. The low beam was alright but seemed to scatter the light and the high beam was disappointing. Then I saw the the Lasfit 1:1 bulbs and bought them to try and WOW am I impressed, both high and low beam are very clear and bright, couldn't be happier! I did have to switch the wires in both plugs, it was a little trick as I did this without taking anything apart. It's doable but, it's like working in the dark and you need 3 hands. Thank God for a helpful and patience wife, with small hands!
So many thanks from me to you! And many happy and safe miles to all!

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Greetings all, Bruce, I seldom log in but I have been watching this thread for some time now. Last fall I bought the led bulbs with the built in fans that you started with and never got around to doing it till this spring. When I checked in to review the process I saw that you had found the plug and play Autens led bulbs, so I bought a pair and tried them. The low beam was alright but seemed to scatter the light and the high beam was disappointing. Then I saw the the Lasfit 1:1 bulbs and bought them to try and WOW am I impressed, both high and low beam are very clear and bright, couldn't be happier! I did have to switch the wires in both plugs, it was a little trick as I did this without taking anything apart. It's doable but, it's like working in the dark and you need 3 hands. Thank God for a helpful and patience wife, with small hands!
So many thanks from me to you! And many happy and safe miles to all!
I am glad to be of help. I also recommended those Lasfit LED bulbs to Phil. Seems that they worked out very well for you. I saw them during the time I started this process. I like to try things out for myself before making any recommendations. I just bought a set off of eBay for $25 plus tax. I will do some bench testing with my spare NT headlight assembly. I am having high expectations after your comments regarding the Lasfit Bulbs.

I bought a set of 2 1:1 H4 LED Bulbs. I am performing some bench testing with one of them in an old H4 housing to see how hot they get. The reflector plating is no longer reflective to the point to project the light outwards. it defuses the light then focuses it. For my in-environment testing, it is just fine. I wish that I had some thermocouples to take actuate temperature readings on the reflector's surfaces. My IR thermometer is having issues with semi-reflective surfaces. The reading that I get off of the bulb on the plastic endcap is between 170-180º. The current draw for either beam is between 1.3-1.4 Amps.

IMG_2685[1].JPG

IMG_2686[1].JPG

IMG_2687[1].JPG

If anyone is interested in checking out these H4 LED Bulbs here's the link, AUTOONE H4 9003 HB2 Hi/Lo LED Headlight Bulbs

A Side Note: I perfer 6000K over 6500K. The 6500K bulbs have more of a blue hue to the light.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I saw that you had found the plug-and-play Autens led bulbs, so I bought a pair and tried them. The low beam was alright but seemed to scatter the light and the high beam was disappointing.
I am both sad to say and to agree with TurboJim's statement above. Getting out on the road with DIVA this morning confirmed this statement made. I am quite disappointed with the results of these bulbs being dismal if you will. The light does not go the distance. The Auten bulbs are more of a DLR in the NT headlight and with its reflector geometry. Nick was right in those regards as well. For anyone that has already purchased these and if you can return them. Please proceed with doing so, post-haste.

As I previously mentioned in my last post. I ordered a set of the Lasfit H7 1:1 LED Bulbs for myself. TurboJim had really great results with these as the light emitters are placed in the same location as the OEM filament would be placed. The testing that I am performing with the 1:1 H4 bulbs that I ordered. The light patterns being projected on the worn-out reflector test unit matches that of an ordinary H4 Halogen bulb would project into this same reflector. Based on these results and TurboJim's feedback I am quite confident that the Lasfit 1:1 units will give the desired results I am also looking for. TurboJim is quite pleased with the results of these units and I have the same expectations after my installation of them. 🤞

I try things so that you do not have to.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Earlier this afternoon I installed one of the H4 1:1 LED bulbs into NaNCy. I needed to adjust the headlight aim after dark.

Here are the results:

B302B67D-9096-41E4-9049-BF81BB4FEE9C.jpeg
Low Beam

B44D3548-4071-4881-BA4C-ADF34DA3E677.jpeg
High Beam

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
It's looking like, the thing to do, is just...WAIT.

I love the idea of LED lights. I have LED tail light bulbs on the NT and the other cycles I have. Turn signals, not...I weary of fighting the flasher problem.

But, the headlight. On my XT250, I have an LED headlight unit, basically thrown away, that I salvaged. Fine running light. On the old Nighthawk, I have an LED light. Not good in actual darkness - haven't had it apart to find out what it is.

But...the reality is, I don't ride much in darkness. Too many things can go wrong...too many deer; too many drunks; too much bad stuff.

So, for the moment, as uncool as it is...I'll leave the NT and the NC, with their halogen bulbs. I remember when halogen lights were such an improvement...I can wait a while longer until they get LED lights perfected. In the meantime, as DRLs, the stock bulbs are fine.
The H4 bulb is the most widely used bulb configuration used on over 80% of motorcycles made in the last 30 years.

Here's a quick video that I shot last night to show the projected light patterns of the AutoOne bulb. This H4 LED Bulb was installed in NaNCy, my 2013 Honda NC700X.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I don't think that headlight bulbs are at all proprietary for Honda or any other motorcycle manufacturer. US government regulations have more to do with our limited choice in headlights.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I received the LasFit LEDs sooner than I expected. :hat4:

I have put the following image boards together for your view pleasure. Let me know if you have any questions.

LasFitBulb_Unboxing.jpg

LasFitBulb_Testing.jpg

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Not sure which is worse. My 2019 Yamaha XMAX comes with all LED lighting. They are pretty awesome as compared to my NT stock headlights. Unfortunately the dual headlight is a complete assembly. When the light eventually fails the whole assembly has to be replaced and it currently runs about $350. Not sure what the expected life on the LED unit is but I know a lot of LED bulbs I buy say they will last 10 years so I hope that’s the case with this headlight.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Not sure which is worse. My 2019 Yamaha XMAX comes with all LED lighting. They are pretty awesome as compared to my NT stock headlights. Unfortunately the dual headlight is a complete assembly. When the light eventually fails the whole assembly has to be replaced and it currently runs about $350. Not sure what the expected life on the LED unit is but I know a lot of LED bulbs I buy say they will last 10 years so I hope that’s the case with this headlight.

The operational span of a typical High Intensity LED is between 30,000 to 50,000 hours. To give you a perspective, a typical halogen bulb is rated at <500 hours.

If the design engineers have the LED operating at least 80% of its operational ranges. It should last for a very long time. Many design engineers set the operational range near 100% or slightly over to overdrive it to get more intensity output. The results in premature failures.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
EUREKA!!! Or if you prefer "WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!!!"

I installed the LasFit H7 LED Bulbs into DIVA last night.

Please see the light pattern images below.

LasFit_NT700V_LB.jpg
LOW BEAM ONLY...

LasFit_NT700V_HB.jpg
HIGH BEAM...

LasFit_NT700V_LBRL.jpg

LOW BEAM W/ RUNNING LIGHTS

Top Bottom