Riders of NT beware!

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

To tell the truth, I don't believe the guy at my local dealer would be qualified even to know how to do the valve check at the 600 service. Don't think he went that far..just did the oil change and let her rip..
The tech at the dealer that is doing the teardown found it, I trust his skills over what I found at my selling dealer. But still, after 5 weeks, it still has to be repaired..maybe I'll get it back in time for Easter.

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

Update: 2-26-11
Notified that all the parts were in the dealership to rebuild the motor, save the RH side engine case. American Honda caseworker told me it would be shipped out as soon as it was ready. Still has to be assembled, retightened, the works. And, it's a rebuilt motor on a new bike...where does that leave the resale value?

xavier

32000km so far , nothing to remark

My NT700V fellows and me don't notice any particular problem on the engine up to date.
I agree with some comments above regarding something solid has entered the combustion chamber and that's it. Honda will repair the engine so fully warantee shall cover your bikeonce reparied.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
And, it's a rebuilt motor on a new bike...where does that leave the resale value?
I would consider it unchanged as well... Unless the rebuild has problems you have the same bike. Since you were down for so long I would ask Honda for either a Warranty Extension or better yet, a free Extended Warranty to make up for your troubles and to give you some piece of mind...

JGC

Very very rare over here to have major issues. I do know one member did have a major issue about 18 months ago (cannot remember what is was now) Basically the bike was replaced in the end as the repairs did not work (all under warrenty) I must add that the member in question was (still is) a courier doing a rather higher mileage than average.

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

I appreciate the idea of extending the warranty period..that's a plus. Concerning the rebuild, it's being done at a dealership, not by Honda proper. It IS a Honda approved tech, however.The engine will only be as good as the tech bulding it..with this tech's eye for finding such a major flaw in the assembly, perhaps it would be to my advantage to trust his certifications. I gotta say kudoes to Honda for getting the parts there..

Igo

Update: 2-26-11
Notified that all the parts were in the dealership to rebuild the motor, save the RH side engine case. American Honda caseworker told me it would be shipped out as soon as it was ready. Still has to be assembled, retightened, the works. And, it's a rebuilt motor on a new bike...where does that leave the resale value?
If Honda builds the motor I'd be estatic. If the dealership builds it I'd still speculate. I don't trust most mechanical shops.

Southern Honda of Orlando guarantees the engine for the life of the bike in addition to the warranty for no extra cost. Makes me glad I bought it there.

Jim

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

American Honda called today to notify me that all the parts are in the dealership, waiting to go into the queue. I learned that the tech assigned to my bike has quit the dealership, so my stuff languishes in the corner. Suggestions are appreciated.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think I'd call American Honda and ask where a really qualified tech can be found. Seems to me that they have a vested interest in seeing that your bike is put back together right that's almost as big as yours.

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

There's a tech in S Fla I trust, I've seen his work. Mike Peterson with Sunsports in Fort Myers..
But he's an 8 hour drive from here..not practical or logical to load all the pieces up and dump them on him.
It's all a crapshoot to find a qualified tech in this part of the world.. IMHO, I think Honda is gonna have to eat this one..

Last edited by a moderator:

Igo

You cartainly need an open dialog with Honda, that's for sure.

I would also be concerned that the contamination may have happened during the oil change (dirty funnel, etc). I read an article in one of the Euro mags that the NT700 was voted the most reliable bike ever made. This sounds suspicious (although possible).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I read an article in one of the Euro mags that the NT700 was voted the most reliable bike ever made

I saw in Bike Magazine (UK mag that is my favorite moto-mag now) that their readers had voted it the most reliable bike -- ST was 2nd or 3rd -- but it wasn't exactly that it was the most reliable bike ever made; more like it was the most reliable bike their readers were riding. Still, pretty high praise.

Drider

As a French thus European member of the site I can say that I haven't heard of problems of that kind.On our site in France a few bikes have had problems but none of this I'm reading about now.I don(t know for sure where our NTs were built but I 'd say they were built and imported from Japan.Anyway we (in France ,at least) receive bikes (Hondas) made in Italy or Spain or Japan or even Brazil...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I don(t know for sure where our NTs were built but I 'd say they were built and imported from Japan.Anyway we (in France ,at least) receive bikes (Hondas) made in Italy or Spain or Japan or even Brazil...

I don't know if all the Deauvilles were built in Spain, but I'm pretty sure that all the NT700s until the '11 model year were builtg there. The '11 Deauville/NT700V production has been moved to a Honda factory in Italy. Honda is an increasingly globalized company. I notice that the tank pad and (maybe) the knuckle deflectors were made in Romania. The undercowl is made in some undesignated European country. The new CBR250 is made in either Thailand or Taiwan (I'm too lazy to go check).

When the Goldwing started being manufactured in Marysville, Ohio, there was a lot of initial anxiety that it wouldn't be of matching quality to the previous Japanese-made models. As far as I know it was just the opposite. I think Honda has transportable quality control in all of their locations. So far I've had no quality issues with my Spanish-built NT, and wouldn't expect any if I had an Italian-made '11 model

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

It's now day 61 since I took the bike to the shop.Last visit to shop was March 17. Pile of parts in boxes on the table, along with damaged parts taken out of bike. Photographs were made of the parts waiting to be installed.
Nothing has been touched on my bike since the teardown 4 weeks ago.
American Honda states there is no scheduled completion date on the repair.
It's clearly a case of the dealer not wanting to do warranty work on their product.
The whole situation has gone into a tailspin, and complaints have been filed with the selling dealer.

Top Bottom