Riders of NT beware!

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

Will file consumer fraud complaint with the Ga. Dept. of Consumer Affairs,
I've been defrauded of 10k dollars with nothing to show except a key and a monthly payment.
No bike in my driveway.
And, it's been in the shop longer than I got to ride it.
Honda should just pay me what the thing is worth and scrap it.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Honda should just pay me what the thing is worth and scrap it.
Robert,

While I agree with your sentiment please be careful saying that, you could end up with a "low" BlueBook valuation settlement offer and be left totally upside down in the deal. If you haven't talked with an attorney yet I suggest you do so soon...

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

Not allowed to discuss anything further here.
This will probably wind up in litigation as soon as next week.
Thanks for the help and advice, but a man's gotta do what he's gotta do.

elizilla

I hope you can come back and tell us what happens, when it's all said and done! Remember we are pulling for you even if you can't keep us informed!

Igo

It's now 89 days since I took it in for an oil leak..still no bike.
This will be 90 days on Monday..and the service shop is closed.
I have been lied to, ignored, and called a buncha names.
But still no bike in my driveway..
all I get from two calls on Saturday is..."we're working on it."
You keep telling us the same thing but you still don't have a lawyer. Keep doing the same things, get the same results.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA, #227
This sounds like one of those situations where the Lemon Law might apply. Many states, including Gerorgia, have such protection for motor vehicles, not just cars, and it is often extended to motorcycles, ATVs, RVs, PWCs, etc., but that varies from state to state. There is a substantial body of information on it available by Googling "Lemon Laws". Naturally, there are lots of ads from Lemon Law lawyers too. Were I deprived of my motorcycle's use in such a situation, this is an avenue I would pursue.

Bike
Hi Rick,

Yes, you are correct, sad to say. Georgia's Lemon law excludes motorcycles. Here in New Jersey we do have that protection but I would prefer not to have to exercise that option. After snooping around I did read this:
Motorcycle Lemon Law in GeorgiaGeorgia Lemon Law does not cover motorcycles. However, the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that the manufacturer of any product — from your toaster to your lemon motorcycle — must abide by the warranty.

Unlike the Georgia Lemon Law for new cars, which requires you to go into arbitration, you need to sue the manufacturer and/or dealer of your motorcycle in a court of law. The window of time to initiate a lawsuit is small, so speak to a Lemon Law attorney if your motorcycle has been in the shop three times for the same problem. If your case is successful, the manufacturer will have pay for attorneys' fees, so you shouldn't have to pay for representation.

As with other types of Lemon Law claims, organization is key to presenting a convincing case. Keep spotless records of every malfunction and problem you have had with your motorcycle since you bought it. Save all of the paperwork that you received every time you brought your motorcycle to be serviced. Catalog the days the motorcycle spent in the shop and out of your possession. Remember, the more organized your evidence is, the more likely it is that your attorney can win your case. Make sure to send the manufacturer a notification letter via certified mail with a return receipt requested.

Not good but all there is, or so it appears. I hope he gets some satisfaction soon.

Bob

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Its really disappointing to see how Honda is handling this. I hope if I ever have a significant issue that Honda and my dealer will support me better than they have Robert in this case. He deserves better.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Its really disappointing to see how Honda is handling this. I hope if I ever have a significant issue that Honda and my dealer will support me better than they have Robert in this case. He deserves better.
I firmly believe it is all in how the dealer handles it. I had a similar experience with a local Chevrolet dealer about 5 years ago. I purchased a new Chevy truck. I got everything you could put in it... heated leather seats, 4x4, quad cab, etc. 2 payments and 1,000 miles later, the transmission exploded as my wife pulled out of our driveway. Chevrolet corporate would only agree to put a rebuilt transmission in the truck, which was unacceptable to me. I had never even hauled anything more than a bag of groceries in the vehicle and expected a factory-new transmission as that is what I paid for. I was in the office with the owner of the dealership on 2 occasions as he got very upset with Chevy corporate trying to plead my case. After the 2nd phone call, the dealer apologized and offered to give me 100% of what I paid for the truck as he was upset and embarassed that a Chevy customer was treated so poorly. I gladly accepted, then promptly let my wife choose a car from the same dealer later that day in appreciation of proper customer service.
The Honda dealership has the power to do what is right as well. I am sad to hear of a Honda customer treated this badly--and I have a feeling that someone from Honda will feel the same and make this right at some point.

Best wishes,

Bike
Any good news in all of this?

I'm Robert Doss, and this is my story. Bought an NT Oct. 2010. Rode it 2260 miles, engine is junk. Scarred cyl walls, pistons galled, and cases leaking. American Honda is to blame, due to "bad casting" of cyl head. Been broken down for 35 days, rebuiling motor with new parts. Look for oil leaks, lowered compression, etc. Signs of a falied engine. Only 2260 miles, and Honda won't replace the bike. Dealer shipped bike OUT OF STATE, due to fact they had no qualified person to fix the bike. LEMON, anybody?:mad1:
Robert,
Can you provide and update on progress with your search for satisfaction?
I hope your problems have been rectified!

Bob

Boy, am I glad Southern Honda of Orlando gave me a lifetime warranty on the engine. Your situation is disheartening.

Jim

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
This shouldn't be in the "Introduction" area. It may be of interest to us as far as the outcome goes but it doesn't look good for new people to see this ongoing situation. This is a RARE situation. He's the only one that I've heard about with a problem.

This is just my opinion, given with empathy in my heart for his trouble.

Sam:)
You're right, Sam. I moved it to "Technical Forums."

He sure has gotten a run around on this deal. I'd have been talking to Lawyers a few months ago!

loonytuna

This is a sad situation.

But lets all remember, ANY machine is subject to failure.

If it's mechanical, it can break.

Based on the majority of pwners posts here, I'd have to say the NT has lived up to Honda's reputation of being reliable.

It's a big company, though it may be hard to find the right person, I'm sure when you do they will set this straight.

Good luck and keep us informed of the progress.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The original poster, sanibelkiteflyer, has not visited this site since April of last year. I wouldn't be holding my breath for an update...:D

mp cycle design

Ya know - I don't know how many mc mechanics we have in our midst - but based on the initial post - I'd be much more inclined to believe something happened during the 600 mile check-up. I've heard more horror stories coming from bikes that just visited a shop. I know - I know - I know, there are reputable shops out there. But every shop has techs that are still learning. It ain't that difficult to drop something into a cylinder when the spark plugs are out and the valve covers are off. I'm pretty impressed that dealership actually went through all the trouble at the 600 mile to even check the valves. The cost of that first check-up doesn't come close to the labor needed for a full 600 mile assessment as outlined in the manual. The last time I purchased a Ducati a few years ago - the seller had an invoice that billed for a valve adjustment 300 miles prior to me purchasing the bike. Normal valve adjustments were every 6,000 miles. I always check everything when I purchase a used bike. All 4 valves including all 8 shims needed to be replaced - the bike ran totally different after all the shims where replaced/shaved to within spec. Bottom line - either the Ducati mechanic didn't do a valve adjustment or didn't know how and totally screwed it up. As you can tell - I'm a firm believer in knowing how to wrench on your own bike...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I don't question his legitimacy, I only wanted to point out he probably will not be giving us an update. If he successfully completed any legal action he most likely was required to sign a non-disclosure and could not update us if he wanted to... If he didn't win I doubt he would want to hang out with fans of the product that caused him problems...

I think, based on the info here and in PM's, the person servicing the bike was probably responsible for this debacle, not a design or production problem that hasn't been reported elsewhere... But that is just my opinion...:D

Top Bottom