Rostra Cruise Control from Murphskits.com

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I just bit the bullet (hope I don't break any teeth!) and ordered the Rostra Cruise Control from my old friend Gary Murphy of Murphskits.com.

The Rostra uses an electronic actuator so it doesn't need a vacuum canister like the Audiovox Cruise Control Murph also sells (and Bobagain is installing). My friend Mike Reid has installed a Rostra on his Concours 14 and says it works great.

He's willing to be the first to do an installation of a Rostra on an NT. If anyone else has beat him to it, please let me know so we can be in conversation.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Aaron, it's at least possible that a person can't farkle a Rostra cruise control onto the NT. We shall see.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I'm certainly interested. I look forward to any documentation you can provide on the install and how it works...if you are successful.

I just bit the bullet (hope I don't break any teeth!) and ordered the Rostra Cruise Control from my old friend Gary Murphy of Murphskits.com.

The Rostra uses an electronic actuator so it doesn't need a vacuum canister like the Audiovox Cruise Control Murph also sells (and Bobagain is installing). My friend Mike Reid has installed a Rostra on his Concours 14 and says it works great.

He's willing to be the first to do an installation of a Rostra on an NT. If anyone else has beat him to it, please let me know so we can be in conversation.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'll have plenty of time to document the installation because Mike will do all the work! I'll get pix.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Well, I had more time for documentation than I used for documentation. Mike and I started work at about 10:00 on Friday morning and worked, with only a few interruptions till about 11:00 that night. Then we worked again yesterday from about 10 till I left at 6:30. Mike stayed at it till around 10:30 and got back on it this morning at 10:30.

He just called me and had done the diagnostics and the Rostra passed itself. He's putting motorcycle back together enough to go for a test ride and, if everything works, he'll finish putting all the plastic back on then ride it out here so he can give me my bike back and I can give him his car back.

Mike said that in years past, he would have just blown through the job, maybe once or twice before finally getting it done right. He was pretty determined not to have many repeats on this job.

If you remember BobAgain's chronicles of getting the Audiovox CC installled on his bike, one of the biggest difficulties he faced wsa finding a way to get the CC linkage into a pretty limited space.

His efforts led Mike to think of a different approach that was, IMNSHO, pretty elegant and simple. Rather than using a bellcrank, Mike's linkage worked like this (I know, I know: pictures, pictures, pictures. I didn't take any. Mike did with his I-phone and I'll get them and post them here), but in the meantime, here's a verbal description.

The outside of the throttle mechanism on the NT has a pulley for the throttle cables. It's secured to the shaft that holds the butterflies by a nut. Mike's idea started with that nut. We bought a connector nut. Naturally, we couldn't find a 7mm connector nut, so he bought a 6mm nut and tapped it out to fit the 7mm shaft. Then he cut it so there'd be three or four threads on the shaft. Then he used fender washers. From the inside out, a 1 1/4" washer, two 1" washers, and another 1 1/4" washer. He ground down one side of the small washers, drilled and tapped three holes and screwed the four of them together with the cable for the CC attached to one of the screws.

That arrangement might have worked, but it was offset from the throttle cables by quite a bit and the CC cable rubbed on the rubber hoses for the air injection valve and, when the cruise control was slack, the cable looked like it might have the potential for jumping over the edge of the washer stack.

So we talked about that and analyzed how things were looking and went back to the hardware store. This time, we bought two 1 1/2" fender washers and two 1" washers. We drilled the hole in the middle so that three of them would fit over the coupler nut, and used a toothed washer on the inside and outside of the outside washer. This time we had four screws holding the washer stack together and the CC cable could move more freely over the one that secured it inside the washer stack. This arrangement reduced the offset enough to give a really straight shot from the end of the actuator cable to the pulley and eliminated the interference with the air injector hoses.

The CC module is mounted vertically in the area in front of the left fairing pocket. The actuator cable (which is long enough to work in a car) can't be easily shortened, so you've got to find a way to use up all of the length and get it back a precise distance from the throttle mechanism. We ran it across the front of the cowl and then back across under the front of the air cleaner and then turned it back toward the throttle linkage on the left side of the bike.

Between all the hardware that came with the Rostra and the stuff Mike had left over from an Audiovox CC install on a Concours 1000, we had lots of brackets and stuff to fabricate mounting tabs for the actuator and for the end of the cable.

He had located the wires that would serve as inputs to the actuator before he started and after getting the throttle actuator hardware fabricated he'd started wiring up everything when I had to leave for home so I could be ready to work this morning. He called me as he was getting ready for bed and said that he'd finish the wiring, run the diagnostics, and start putting things back together. I talked to him about two and he'd run into a problem with the diagnositcs not working the way they should.

It turned out that when I'd sealed up the control pad (the same one the Audiovox CSC-100 uses, BTW), I'd managed to get the cover on upside down. He turned that around and the unit passed its diagnostic tests. The only thing left to do at the point was to get the clutch / disconnect wire hooked up, get all the plastic back on and ride 80 miles back out here.

I'm getting excited! Sure hope it works. If it does, I'll get to ride it a meeting in Highlands Ranch tomorrow morning. It'll be about 105 miles and almost all of it will be on limited-access four-lane highway; a good test for a cruise control.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I just got a phone call from Mike and the Rostra works! He says it works just like the one on his Concours 14 works. That means it works great above 50mph and doesn't work under 50mph. That doesn't bother me because I can't imagine wanting a cruise control at under 50mph very often. And if I want to do that, I've still got the Throttlemeister.

The only problem is the connection that causes the CC to disengage when you pull in the clutch. He figured he had a 50/50 chance of picking the right wire to tap. He was on the "it don't work" side of those odds. Since I think I'd want the CC to cut out when I pull the church, he was going to find another place to tap into that. Then I'll meet him halfway and we can swap rides.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Bob, he didn't have to use a pulse divider and he didn't use the tach feed. He picked up the pulses from something just above the shift rod. I can't remember which wire he used. He probably didn't get into at that location, but that's where he found the pulses to run the CC. I think he connected into the wire just below the ECM, but I'm not sure.

After finding a source for the pulses he needed, he did the math and they were higher than the supposed max, so he called Rostra. They called right back, but when he told them he was doing an install on a motorcycle, the guy said that "corporate" had advised them not to work with people making motorcycle installations. So Mike asked him a couple of questions...one of them, I remember was whether or not he needed a pulse divider. The guy said he doubted if we would need one. Mike said that was good because the ICs he could find wouldn't work with a varying frequency input.

At any rate, it works. Because he didn't use the tach for his input, the CC doesn't disengage when I pull in the clutch. I'll solve that by not pulling in the clutch unless I've also tapped a brake. It doesn't work at speeds below 50mph without a pronounced surge, but above that it holds a steady speed better than my wife's Nissan Altima.

Mike's a bit worried that our washer/coupling nut/throttle cable set-up might not stay stuck together. He put star washers in between all the mating surfaces and then used blue Loctite. I'll be surprised if it falls apart, but I've been wrong before.

On rolling hills on the way home, I set the CC at 71mph and it never varied more than +/- 1 mph from 71. On I-76, I set it at 79 and on flat ground into a gusty headwind, it varied +1mph, -0mph.

It was very nice and a noticeable improvement over the Throttlemeister.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Phil, that's a great addition to your NT. Now we need a step-by-step installation guide, with lots of pictures.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mike took some pictures, but doesn't feel real confident about his connection to the throttle linkage. Before we take pictures I'm going to ride with it and test to see that it doesn't come unstuck.

I think I feel more confident about it than he does, but then I'm not much of a mechanic and even less of an engineer. I just have faith in the washers and their durability and I'm thinking that there can't be that much stress on the connector nut, which I believe would be the highest forces in the whole hookup.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mike wouldn't have had the idea if you hadn't tried the bellcrank, Bob.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
LOL, John! I'd forgotten your pictures until I looked at your Picasa page. Very, very similar to what Mike did for me. He used four screws, tapped the screw holes in the washers (we also used two 1 1/2" washers sandwiching two 1" washers (I think), and then let one of the screws be what the loop on the CC wire was attached to.

Have you ever had your connecting nut come loose? That's what Mike is most worried about on the installation he did for me.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm glad you got it working, Bob! I'm very happy with mine after 4-500 miles on the highway now.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks for the update on this CC Bob. What is the current operating speed (low side) of the Rostra?

I assume you can operate the CC in any gear, right?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks for the additional information, Bob. So the system works okay at the slow speeds (35-45) just not as smoothly as at the higher speeds (50 and up)? Do you have any thoughts on why that might be?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Bob, I think I'll change my DIP switch settings to match yours and see if that smoothes out the operation at speeds below 50. Thanks for the information. I watched mine yesterday on rollers between here and Greeley and it mostly held speed within .3-.5 mph. Steeper grades pulled it down a bit over 1.2 mph for a bit. At 60-70mph, the speed adjustments are very smooth.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I changed DIP Switch # 8 from off to on and that has really smoothed out the operation of cruise control. It works down to 30mph now (maybe lower, but that's as slow as I've used it since I've only riidden 1.1 miles since changing the switch.

Top Bottom