Rostra Cruise Control from Murphskits.com

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I changed DIP Switch # 8 from off to on and that has really smoothed out the operation of cruise control. It works down to 30mph now (maybe lower, but that's as slow as I've used it since I've only riidden 1.1 miles since changing the switch.
Thanks for the update, Phil! Have you added a switch to disengage the CC at the clutch lever?

bicyclist

I installed my Rostra over the winter and have tested it on three rides. It has some quirks and doesn't work as seamlessly as the one in my car, but it does the job.

The routine that seems to work best is to turn on the device, wait a few second for it to wake up, then hit the set button. Next, I hit the resume button and the thing begins to function. Without hitting the resume button, it may or may not kick in.

The CC is supposed to allow you to accelerate to a higher speed and then return to the set speed, but mine just kicks out.

I find it a bit of an odd experience to feel the throttle turning by itself in my hand.

Overall, I'm pleased with the CC. It'll make life easier on those long slab days.

slider

I sure would love cc on mine but who would put it on around here is beyond me.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
George, I'm wondering why the accelerate/decelerate function isn't working on yours. The accelerate function always works on mine -- sometimes the decelerate function cuts the CC out.

bicyclist

Phil, the buttons on the CC will accelerate/decelerate, but the thing is supposed to allow you to roll on the throttle, gain speed and then when you release the throttle, slow back down to the set speed. At least according to the book. Mine won't do that.

We're going to have to have a CC powwow in Spearfish to compare notes.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
George, I don't think mine does that either, but it will resume the previously set speed if I tap the resume button.

bicyclist

George, I don't think mine does that either, but it will resume the previously set speed if I tap the resume button.
Yup, mine will works that way, too. And tapping the resume button several times will increase the speed.

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
snip >
After finding a source for the pulses he needed, he did the math and they were higher than the supposed max, so he called Rostra. They called right back, but when he told them he was doing an install on a motorcycle, the guy said that "corporate" had advised them not to work with people making motorcycle installations. So Mike asked him a couple of questions...one of them, I remember was whether or not he needed a pulse divider. The guy said he doubted if we would need one. Mike said that was good because the ICs he could find wouldn't work with a varying frequency input.
snip >
Phil,
I am installing a Rostra cruise control and not sure what settings are needed for dip switches 3 through 6 (pulses per mile.) Searching the forum, I found a post by johnha (VSS Question) that greatdanez answered 52000 pulses per mile. This is well above the 38600 listed in the install instructions. I would like to know what ppm you set your dip switches for.

Thanks for "biting the bullet" back when... gives me confidence I will get mine to function. Any help you could provide will reduce the installation time, and is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Walt, I have no idea what my settings are. A friend of mine did the installation. I'll see if he can remember. IIRC, he used the settings for a 4-cyl engine and they've worked fine.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Friend Mike, who did my installation, says he used the settings for 38600ppm, too.

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
Phil,
Let Mike know I appreciate the information. The folks on this forum are amazing!

Got sidelined by some issues (not NT related) so I didn't get as far as I thought I would today. I have the cable connected to the throttle body though, so hooray!

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
How did you do the cable connection?
I used a Dremel with a very small burr to make a shallow groove for the supplied 81 mm long loop cable to slide in along side the throttle cable. There seemed to be plenty of meat in the pulley in that area so I went with that idea.

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
I used a Dremel with a very small burr to make a shallow groove for the supplied 81 mm long loop cable to slide in along side the throttle cable. There seemed to be plenty of meat in the pulley in that area so I went with that idea.
Did you happen to take a picture of that connection?
Have not yet installed a Rostra unit and have wonders how others have made the cable connection.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Have not yet installed a Rostra unit and have wonders how others have made the cable connection.
Friend Mike and I fabricated a pulley for the actuator cable and mounted it outboard of the throttle pulley on the throttle body. My description of what we did is going to be hampered by my uncertainty about some of the technical terms I'll need to use.

We removed the bolt that holds the throttle cable pulley and replaced it with a threaded rod. Over that rod, we used a long nut that left room to screw a bolt into it. We used medium Loctite on all these fastenings. Then using a sandwich of fender washers we made a pulley for the actuator cable. As best as I can remember, we used 1 1/2" washers on the outside, with a couple of 1 1/4" washers and a 1" washer in the middle. We ground off some of the 1" washer to make a small flat on one side of it, then drilled four holes through the sandwich. We tapped those holes so we could use 3 screws to hold the sandwich together and one to anchor the eye of the actuator cable.

We had put the actuator unit in front of the left-hand fairing pocket and then ran the cable across behind the instrument panel and down out of the right-hand fairing pocket and back across in front of the engine to align perfectly with the throttle body in parallel with the throttle cable. It's worked great for nearly four years and probably 75-80,000 miles now.

bicyclist

I put put the actuator behind the right pocket and ran the cable across to the left side behind the instrument panel.:)

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
Rusty_Iron, would you have taken a pic of this? Is there any interference/binding between the two cables in the same pulley?

Phil, having a difficult time visualising what yours looks like. My throttle body shaft has a nut that secures the pulley, not a bolt. I doubt that my 2010 is different than yours.
Phil and Rusty, pics or even a crude drawing would help.
Thanks.

Top Bottom