Spare key?

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
900 miles from home and your motorcycle keys accidentally fall in the lake. Or outhouse. Whatever.

How many brave cross country riders go naked with NO spare key at all?

If you DO carry a spare, do you attach it to the bike in a location known only to you, or in your wallet, or??? Certainly, I can’t imagine anyone using a magnetic mount keybox on the frame.

I admit I have never carried a spare in the past, but maybe I have just pressed my luck. Or I just don’t want to have my wife FedEx a key to Timbuktu. I’d never live that down.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
On long journeys I carry a spare key in my jacket.

I am lucky enough that my jacket has a small pocket, just inside the jacket, that runs parallel with the zipper so that is where I keep the spare key.

Seagrass

OP
OP
Yoda

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Well, shazam. Just looked in the inside zipper pocket of my 6 year old riding jacket.

Found a $10 bill, and an expired credit card. But no key.

Maybe I shouldn’t hang the jacket over the windshield while I go in the restaurant to have dinner any more.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Don't tell anyone, but I can not remember the last time I took a key out of the ignition. On my BMW it a key that is hinged, very hard to see, so I just never took it out unless I was in a very bad section of town at a motel (I always try to avoid a location that makes me feel unsafe).

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I once locked the keys in my truck. I thought I had a hidden set there but I couldn't find them. Of course it was raining a little and the ground was wet while I fumbled around underneath looking for spare keys. I had to go to a backup plan.
I looked 2 days later in my garage and found them still under the truck.
The point is if I hide them and don't see them for a couple years I may not be able to remember where they are anyway.
Getting old is hard.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm like Miairhead, I never take the keys out of the ignition. I also haven't carried a spare key since the Epic Ride in '13. I carried the spare key and a spare key to my top box in the wrist pocket on the right arm of the 'Stitch. I've got sawed off keys embedded in oil can lids with epoxy in the seat lock and the fairing pocket lock (thanks to

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I'm like Miairhead, I never take the keys out of the ignition. I also haven't carried a spare key since the Epic Ride in '13. I carried the spare key and a spare key to my top box in the wrist pocket on the right arm of the 'Stitch. I've got sawed off keys embedded in oil can lids with epoxy in the seat lock and the fairing pocket lock (thanks to
No offense Phil, but if someone steals your bike and hurts someone, guess who is gonna get sued?

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
No offense Phil, but if someone steals your bike and hurts someone, guess who is gonna get sued?
Most insurance companies in OZ will not pay out if you did not "take all reasonable precautions to secure your vehicle". That includes removing the key, using the standard steering lock and closing all windows and the sunroof.

Macka

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I carry three spare skeletinized keys in my wallet for my three bikes. As for the cars, I make "break in" keys which I hide, rather cleverly I think, on the car. They are not easy to get to and take some work to removed. Then, I have valet keys hidden inside the cars.

My wife looses her keys all the time, even when she camps out, so I have to make sure she knows where the breakin key is on her car.

Subaru in 2019 has just gone entirely to keyless fobs. I dont undertand exactly how they work as far as locking and unlocking individual doors, turning a run-a-way engine off at 90 mph (hold shutdown button for 5 seconds) etc but I dont like them. It seems to me they are just a way to save the manufactures money in hardware.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Most insurance companies in OZ will not pay out if you did not "take all reasonable precautions to secure your vehicle". That includes removing the key, using the standard steering lock and closing all windows and the sunroof.

Macka
In the US, dumb people start their cars in the winter and go back in the house and let the car warm up. Illeagle in Spokane. Every year, these people get cars stolen. So while there is the issue of insurance and theft, there are lawsuits against the owner when a kid takes the car and then causes damage to other people's property and living things.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
In the US, dumb people start their cars in the winter and go back in the house and let the car warm up. Illeagle in Spokane. Every year, these people get cars stolen. So while there is the issue of insurance and theft, there are lawsuits against the owner when a kid takes the car and then causes damage to other people's property and living things.
I haven't heard of lawsuits of that type here in OZ but we are a LOT less litigious than you guys.
Technically here, it is illegal to be more that a short distance (I have forgotten how much, but it in only a matter of a few feet) from your car without removing the key and locking the car. We all do it often such as getting the car out of the garage or unloading the shopping from the boot (trunk).
Legality and practically rarely coincide.

Macka

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
900 miles from home and your motorcycle keys accidentally fall in the lake. Or outhouse. Whatever.

How many brave cross country riders go naked with NO spare key at all?

If you DO carry a spare, do you attach it to the bike in a location known only to you, or in your wallet, or??? Certainly, I can’t imagine anyone using a magnetic mount keybox on the frame.

I admit I have never carried a spare in the past, but maybe I have just pressed my luck. Or I just don’t want to have my wife FedEx a key to Timbuktu. I’d never live that down.
I carry a spare key for both the bike, tail trunk, house key and beer opener :). If you ride ATGATT there is always a small zipped or velcro pocket you seldom use. That's where mine goes. Not likely to loose both at same time. I seldom take the spare set out of my unused pocket unless I need it. Came in hand on a long trip. Lost my ignition key / trunk set while camping so used spare set. However when packing up to leave after three days, found the other set in my tent.

DonH

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I keep a spare key in a black magnetic box on the bike. It is not in an easy to spot location and after being there for awhile it becomes covered with dust and blends in very well. So well, in fact, that when I went to look for it one time I thought it had fallen off as I couldn't spot it. Had to get down on my hands and knees before I could find it. I think a potential thief would spend a long time looking for it and then only if he/she knew it was there somewhere.

Bike
Black Deauville NT700
The trick to concealment is for someone to look straight at whatever is hidden then immediately conclude that there is nothing there.

As the security on a Deauville is based on a transponder in the key, it must be shielded from radio frequency interrogation by both the legitimate on board HISS and any external device. If it is able to communicate with the ECU, the bike will be amenable to old-fashioned hotwiring. The simplest countermeasure is to wrap the key in aluminium foil.

As the key may be in position for years, it needs to be protected from moisture and dirt. Ideally, you will be installing some aftermarket device and mounting it using siliconseal. Embed the key in the sealant.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The trick to concealment is for someone to look straight at whatever is hidden then immediately conclude that there is nothing there.

As the security on a Deauville is based on a transponder in the key, it must be shielded from radio frequency interrogation by both the legitimate on board HISS and any external device. If it is able to communicate with the ECU, the bike will be amenable to old-fashioned hotwiring. The simplest countermeasure is to wrap the key in aluminium foil.

As the key may be in position for years, it needs to be protected from moisture and dirt. Ideally, you will be installing some aftermarket device and mounting it using siliconseal. Embed the key in the sealant.
I am not a fan of magnetic key boxes but I go to great lengths to hide things, then document the place on my fone pics section sans text. I took a valet key for my Honda CRV and wraped it in foil, then covered it in a sealent, so it became a black blob. Then, I put it in a crevace inside a splash guard and sealed it in there. The guard came off with one screw. Then I hid a phillips screw driver somewhere else. Loosing a key when camped out in a national forest doesnt have to be a disaster. People dont plan to fail, they fail to plan.

Bike
NT700va
Information on cost and details to buy a replacement key would be helpful in this post. I don't think this is a "chip" key
n

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
This thread prompted me to get an extra key as I only have one for my NT. Key blank 35121-MAS-G01 ($7.98) from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has been ordered. I agree with Russ that this key does not have a "chip". I will likely go to my local Home Depot and have them make a copy of my old key on to the new blank.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Information on cost and details to buy a replacement key would be helpful in this post. I don't think this is a "chip" key
n
In other countries/localities like the UK, Australia and Europe the NT700 has HISS (Honda Integrated Security System) and we all have a "Chip Key" that works with the HISS system.

Seagrass

Top Bottom