Spare key?

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I always keep a spare in my jacket because it's hard to loose track of your jacket.

Reactions: JQL
Bike
2018 CanAm Spyder RTL
The "chip" keys are a nice security feature, but I learned something about them with my new Spyder (it has them). Always carry both keys for it, and if you lose the first one, IMMEDIATELY find a location to have a new key made. They can copy the "code" from your spare key to the new key. But if you lose BOTH keys, the only way to get a new key is to replace the entire barrel/key ignition system on the Spyder so they can match new keys to a new electronic security code in a new key barrel assembly. That would be about $600 on my Spyder. Not to mention an embarrassing towing fee to get it to a dealer. That might sound like a "let's screw the rider" system to gouge them out of money, but it's the only way to prevent someone shady from making a key for your CURRENT ignition system if THEY don't have a key matched to it already. If someone was to steal my Spyder, they would have to replace the entire key ignition system to be able to start it. The system actually reduced my insurance cost for my Spyder, as my insurance company views it as an "active theft deterrent" system. Go figure.

Bike
2018 CanAm Spyder RTL
I always keep a spare in my jacket because it's hard to loose track of your jacket.
Well...you could someday accidentally roll up your jacket in your tent and pack it on your bike, then not know where your jacket was if you really needed the key. (cough cough). Not sayin' it's likely to happen, but....

PS - Hey Phil!!! How you doin'? :whistle: ;)

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Well...you could someday accidentally roll up your jacket in your tent and pack it on your bike, then not know where your jacket was if you really needed the key. (cough cough). Not sayin' it's likely to happen, but....

PS - Hey Phil!!! How you doin'? :whistle: ;)
Yup, heard about that happening to someone on some site...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Well, that never happened to me. I only wrap cell phones up in my tent, and since I quit camping, that hasn't been much of a problem.

Bike
2018 CanAm Spyder RTL
Wait. I thought Jim said it was your NT key. It was your cell phone? That's even bigger than the key. Just sayin'. But yeah...smaller than a jacket. So my apologies. :D

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Nope, Rick, it WAS the phone. Remember ?, you helped us look for it before riding out with us that morning. Did you have one of Phil's Coleman cocktails too? But the fun started when Phil tried (with much difficulty) to arrange for a replacement phone to be sent to him, mailed to Tok AK (which they wouldn't do). Then to have it shipped to his home and have his wife ship it to Tok. And then two days later to reverse all those arrangements which took most of the morning on the first try.

Rick, I still have one of those microfiber towels you gave Phil and I on that morning too. I used it last weekend. Phil lost most of his in the first two days by stuffing them under a luggage strap to dry while he was riding.

Neither one of us lost our motorcycle key because the keys were always right where they should be - in the bike.

Bike
2018 CanAm Spyder RTL
Did you have one of Phil's Coleman cocktails too?
Not at the rally. But I can't say the same about the last 3 years since my accident. Some of those pain meds I was on may have fried a few memory brain cells for all I know. Heck, I don't even remember giving the two of you the microfiber towels. I know I carry a ton of them with me and have given people some over time. Been doing the same already with my new ride.

BTW, how long are NT oil filters that were purchased in 2014 and still in the original wrappers good for? I found a box of 6 of them I bought back in 2014, and could bring them to the rally for "door prizes" on pizza night if anybody would still want them.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Well, that never happened to me. I only wrap cell phones up in my tent, and since I quit camping, that hasn't been much of a problem.
Does the guy you sold your tent to know he's got your phone... or did you not sell it and have to ride home in order to make a phone call... :LOL:

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
I hide a spare key and a hundred dollar bill on my motorcycles. I hide a spare key in a magnetic case in the same place on all of my cars. My wife and children do the same. We all use the same location. both kids resisted the suggestion until they locked their self out, then Dad was not so stupid after all. When I change locks on the house or move, I give each family member a key and tell then to hide it and don't tell anybody where you hid it, if you do someone will borrow it and not put it back and it won't be there when "YOU" need it. I bought a new car with a key fob and no key. I got busy and laid the key fob on the seat. My wife locked the car with her fob and went shopping with a friend. I needed to move the car and could not get in. I know, it is not supposed to happen (2019 Honda CRV) but it did.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
This got me thinking, is the NT700 key a Chip Key ? if yes, where can I get a duplicate made ...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
No, the NT700 key is not a chip key.

And, Mellow, I haven't sold my tent (although I need to!) and when I packed my phone in the tent, Jim and I were leaving Spearfish on our way to Alaska in '13. I called my wife that day and she was making arrangements to get a phone to send to me in Alaska when I found my phone the 2nd night out from Spearfish when Jim and I camped in West Yellowstone. That's the last time I've lost anything in my tent that I couldn't live without. So, there....

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I'm "lock challenged" and any time I lock something the only person locked out is ME. An average thief can get into anything I have locked in less time than it takes for me to find my key.

On and old Kawasaki I had, I installed a secret switch on a wire from the battery to the hot side of the coil and bypassed my ignition switch (which didn't work on the starter circuit anyway). The only disadvantage is that the "kill" switch didn't work then.

Back in the days when we shot horse thieves and hanged cattle rustlers that seemed to be a deterrent to theft and cut down on repeat offenders. Now we just add more locks instead of dealing with the thieves.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
My emergency key is behind my license plate. Since the plate is fastened with two bolts--that leaves two more holes in the plate. I use matching screws for the bottom holes and screw in the key like a washer.

Bike
NT700VA6 Petrol blue
Hi, this is Detlef from France, just joined NT owners.org today.
Living 40 km west of Paris, I bought a NT700VA in 2008 in my homecountry, Germany.
Yes, my bike has a HISS System (with transponder embedded in key).
I recently learned that it can be challenging to get a spare HISS key in case you would have lost the original key ID plate, like I did.

Costs would be around 150 € if you would order from your Honda dealer one spare key including transponder, based on the key ID plate (which I lost).

So just had one last original HISS key remaining. Bought 2 blank keys with compatible blank transponder (25 € each).
Had them cut at the locksmith. So far so good. Tried to register the the new keys in my bikes HISS without success. Unfortunately even my honda dealer in France failed to register the keys in my bikes HISS. In Germany I was in the end successful at a local well equipped blacksmith in getting 2 doubloons of my last original keys transponder, payed 150 €.

When travelling I have a spare key with me, nevertheless I would not leave one at my bike. Too risky if someone would
find it and would steal your bike. No insurance would pay for damages which can result from stealing the bike.

Top Bottom