Spare key?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My new Yamaha has a fob. if I were to lose it there is a code I can enter into the instrument cluster that allows me to start it. Frankly I would have preferred a key but I am old and tend to resist new things.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I carry a spare key in the pocket on the right arm of my 'Stitch.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I carry a spare key in the right side fairing pocket, it's taped to the side of the pocket with black tape, you can hardly see it , you wouldn't see if you didn’t know it was there.

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have that cut-off key in the bottle cap for the panniers always there. Trick is that it will not fit into the ignition because it won't go far enough into it, so to the novice, it isn't capable of starting the bike... but remove the bottle cap and J-B Weld that hold it in and I can insert it and use my pliers to turn it. Wha-La. I also have the incorporated combination locks on my add-on pannier latches, so that's how I can leave the modified key in there without worrying too much about break-in. Conversely, I sometimes carry a spare key in the pannier, so a spare is usually handy one way or another.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
When I travel, I always "try" to remember to stash a spare key somewhere where it is accessible. One of these days I fear my declining remembery may bite me in the ass and I will leave it at home. I need to come up with a clever, foolproof solution..

Mike

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
I hide a key on all of my vehicles. When I move to a new house I hide a door key outside and tell no one where it is hidden. I give my wife a a spare door key and suggest she do the same. I've always been able to overcome a lock out and I've never had a theft related to a hidden key. It is highly unlikely that any insurance policy issued in the U.S. would exclude coverage for a loss related to a hidden key. To each is own but it seems like good planning to me. Key fobs complicate the process.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Several years ago I hid a key on my car in one of those magnetic key boxes. It was inside the back bumper in a place that was out of the way yet accessible. Not sure exactly what happened but at one point I checked on it and it was gone. I can only figure that at some point I must have hit a big bump and it was dislodged.

I have also hid spare house keys in one of those plastic rocks and placed them in the brushes by the front door. As far As I know they are still there as I forgot about them when I moved :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I don't have any faith in the magnetic hide-a-key gizmos anymore. I've tried two of 'em and both fell off.

Mike

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Good ideas, but sadly, I forget where I hid it (them).
Heck, I spent 1/2 the day looking for the GPS Tire Pressure Sensors that I returned to the original boxes 10 days ago. I put them where I could get at them easily. After checking every bin, box, container and drawer, I found them hanging on a wall hook (next to my motorcycle gear) in the garage. :cautious:

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
In 100,oookm on this Honda and many more on other bikes, I have never carried a spare key, perhaps I should start.
I have, in fact, lost a key once. I was only about 30km from home on my Suzuki, having a coffee with a mate.
We went for a walk along the beach and when I got back to the bike I could not find my key.
As my mate lived just a few blocks away from where we were, the quickest/easiest fix was to call my daughter and get her to pick up the spare key in the safe at home and bring it to me.
Since that event I have always used a lanyard attached to my belt (and the keys slipped into my pocket as well) to keep my keys where they can be found.
I find that works very well for me as I never have to search for the key.

Macka

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Hi, this is Detlef from France, just joined NT owners.org today.
Living 40 km west of Paris, I bought a NT700VA in 2008 in my homecountry, Germany.
Yes, my bike has a HISS System (with transponder embedded in key).
I recently learned that it can be challenging to get a spare HISS key in case you would have lost the original key ID plate, like I did.

Costs would be around 150 € if you would order from your Honda dealer one spare key including transponder, based on the key ID plate (which I lost).

So just had one last original HISS key remaining. Bought 2 blank keys with compatible blank transponder (25 € each).
Had them cut at the locksmith. So far so good. Tried to register the the new keys in my bikes HISS without success. Unfortunately even my honda dealer in France failed to register the keys in my bikes HISS. In Germany I was in the end successful at a local well equipped blacksmith in getting 2 doubloons of my last original keys transponder, payed 150 €.

When travelling I have a spare key with me, nevertheless I would not leave one at my bike. Too risky if someone would
find it and would steal your bike. No insurance would pay for damages which can result from stealing the bike.
Most "Cordonneries" in France can copy "Chipped" keys - both copying the key and the chip. I've had them done. Depending on the Cordonnerie and the key it's about 50€

Bike
NT700VA6 Petrol blue
Thank you John, I was not aware of.
When I lost my last key on a horse ride in the forest (and finally retrieved it - which seemed almost incredible),
I thought it was time to get spare keys.
During Corona19 curfew I just had 3 keys cut at the ,cordonnerie‚ and later asked the Honda dealer to register 2 keys (those with embedded transponders) - which did not work.

In the end I got 2 copies from a German ‚cordonnerie‘ (Schlüsseldienst) during a trip to my parents.

Best regards
detlef

Top Bottom