The 2019 NT Gathering - May 16-19, 2019 - Cairo, WV

It is impossible to diagnose a starter or a battery for that matter over the phone... period! My guess would be the battery as well. I would be leery of anyone who tries to diagnose something without looking at it.... be forewarned.

Mike
With all due respect, Mike, I have correctly diagnosed two dud batteries over the phone in the past three weeks
One of them was only two months old (sold and fitted by another mechanic 300km away) . The other was in a used car that one of my customers bought three weeks ago from a Dealership.
An experienced mechanic can usually make a fairly accurate diagnosis by asking the owner to do a couple of simple tests.
The second one was very interesting as the first thing that the customer noticed was an "Auto Transmission Malfunction" warning on the dash display.
The second thing that he noticed was that the "Idle Stop" system was not functioning.
Knowing how the systems operate on that model of car (mazda 6, 3YO) and having had experience with our NT700 giving false "TPS Low Voltage" warnings, I was able to direct the customer to do a couple of easy things which gave me the clues to pinpoint the problem as a weak battery. A new battery has fixed both cars but I was not involved physically with either job. It is free support that I supply to my customers.

Macka

This is the dealership where I bought the scoot a couple of months ago. I would imagine everything is still under warranty.

With all due respect, Mike, I have correctly diagnosed two dud batteries over the phone in the past three weeks
One of them was only two months old (sold and fitted by another mechanic 300km away) . The other was in a used car that one of my customers bought three weeks ago from a Dealership.
An experienced mechanic can usually make a fairly accurate diagnosis by asking the owner to do a couple of simple tests.
The second one was very interesting as the first thing that the customer noticed was an "Auto Transmission Malfunction" warning on the dash display.
The second thing that he noticed was that the "Idle Stop" system was not functioning.
Knowing how the systems operate on that model of car (mazda 6, 3YO) and having had experience with our NT700 giving false "TPS Low Voltage" warnings, I was able to direct the customer to do a couple of easy things which gave me the clues to pinpoint the problem as a weak battery. A new battery has fixed both cars but I was not involved physically with either job. It is free support that I supply to my customers.

Macka
I didn't make myself very clear, I guess. Since you had the owner perform the tests you requested, that was not the "phone diagnosis" I was referring to. My comment was related to a scenario something like this....

Owner: My bike won't start, it just clicks...

Diagnostician: It's a bad battery (or it's a bad starter)

This could cause the owner to take the diagnostician at his word and buy a battery/starter based on his advice. Without performing any tests, the best someone can do over the phone would be to say is "It sounds like it COULD be the battery/starter"

I hope this clarifies my previous statement.

Mike

I spoke to the mechanic this morning and he said he found nothing wrong with the scoot. He had the battery on a charger overnight and when he checked this morning the scoot started right up. He said they checked for leakage and couldn't find any. He is going to keep it overnight and if it starts in the morning I'll picked it up. I rode it about 10 days ago for a fifty mile ride so I can't understand why the battery was so low. My NT hasn't been ridden in more than a month and it started right up yesterday. Anyway, I won't be coming to North Bend. I'd hate to get there and run into a problem. Tom Ferguson, the guy that rode with us last year will be coming and taking my reservation. Treat him nice.

Barry - if your friend is coming, just throw some jumper cables in the trunk of your Burgman and join us!

ps. by the way, you can't compare the NT to something modern in regards to how soon the battery goes flat when it sits for a long time.

Barry - if your friend is coming, just throw some jumper cables in the trunk of your Burgman and join us!

ps. by the way, you can't compare the NT to something modern in regards to how soon the battery goes flat when it sits for a long time.
Even though the NT isn't modern by todays standards, since it does have a clock that must be kept alive there should be a small amount of off-draw to keep the time accurate. I've never measured the off draw on the NT but the ECU may also have an adaptive memory that must be maintained. I would suspect that the off draw is no more than a few ma but the battery doesn't have a huge capacity as does a full size car battery. As always, a battery tender is your friend.

Mike

Anyway, I won't be coming to North Bend. I'd hate to get there and run into a problem. Tom Ferguson, the guy that rode with us last year will be coming and taking my reservation. Treat him nice.

Barry, sorry to hear you won't make the rally. Wish you could change your mind but we all weigh the odds in making a decision whether to take off on a longer ride, and I am sure you've made the right choice. Still, I was looking forward to seeing you and your new scoot. Chris

I didn't make myself very clear, I guess. Since you had the owner perform the tests you requested, that was not the "phone diagnosis" I was referring to. My comment was related to a scenario something like this....

Owner: My bike won't start, it just clicks...

Diagnostician: It's a bad battery (or it's a bad starter)

This could cause the owner to take the diagnostician at his word and buy a battery/starter based on his advice. Without performing any tests, the best someone can do over the phone would be to say is "It sounds like it COULD be the battery/starter"

I hope this clarifies my previous statement.

Mike
Of course you are correct, Mike. A snap statement like that is irresponsible. Anyone who cares about their business, their reputation or their customers would not do such a thing.
The two examples that I gave involved me spending over an hour on the phone over several short calls (whilst the owners went away and checked what I asked). Some of the things that I asked for had to be explained more than once as they are not mechanically minded o_O. It is just part of the service I provide FOC.
On the subject of battery drain: I also have an alarm fitted which has a small parasitic drain but it has never been a problem.
The one thing that I have found to put a drain on the battery is if I forget to unplug the 12v-USB power supply for my GPS which is from a live cigar socket in the LH glovebox. If that is left in for a few days without using the Tender (such as when away camping) the engine will be noticeably slower to crank over. That has happened a couple of times but has not left me with a flat battery (yet).
As a matter of interest, I will do a parasitic drain test later today (with and without the USB supply) and let you know the result.
As I have stated before, my original battery is now over 10 years old and has never let me down but regular testing shows that it is nearing it's "end of life".

Macka

Last edited:
I spoke to the mechanic this morning and he said he found nothing wrong with the scoot. He had the battery on a charger overnight and when he checked this morning the scoot started right up. He said they checked for leakage and couldn't find any. He is going to keep it overnight and if it starts in the morning I'll picked it up. I rode it about 10 days ago for a fifty mile ride so I can't understand why the battery was so low. My NT hasn't been ridden in more than a month and it started right up yesterday. Anyway, I won't be coming to North Bend. I'd hate to get there and run into a problem. Tom Ferguson, the guy that rode with us last year will be coming and taking my reservation. Treat him nice.
Hi Barry, sorry you are not going to make it. Was just reading a couple articles about the Burgman. Does your have the parking light function. See where several folks accidentally got it turned on and drained the battery. The Suzuki GS500F had the function in the ignition switch and you could accidently turn it too far, remove the key and parking light stays on. Ask Lori :) Just a thought.

Hi Barry, sorry you are not going to make it. Was just reading a couple articles about the Burgman. Does your have the parking light function. See where several folks accidentally got it turned on and drained the battery. The Suzuki GS500F had the function in the ignition switch and you could accidently turn it too far, remove the key and parking light stays on. Ask Lori :) Just a thought.
I have a 2009 GS500F but in Oz we did not get the parking function.

Macka

Even though the NT isn't modern by todays standards, since it does have a clock that must be kept alive there should be a small amount of off-draw to keep the time accurate. I've never measured the off draw on the NT but the ECU may also have an adaptive memory that must be maintained. I would suspect that the off draw is no more than a few ma but the battery doesn't have a huge capacity as does a full size car battery. As always, a battery tender is your friend.

Mike

I also wonder if the 400 Burgman has a smaller capacity battery than the NT? Just for ref, my NT lives on a maintenance charger when it's not being ridden.

Macka - eons ago, the ignition switch on Honda motorcycles had a "park" position that kept the taillight ON as if you'd stopped because of an emergency. And yes, it did drain a great many batteries!

Some of you may know Tim Roush (playinatwork) from the ST1300 forum. He hit a deer a couple of weeks ago while on an Iron Butt ride in Kansas. He has a broken neck, legs and a rib. He is at Brooks Rehab hospital in Jacksonville, FL. Tim’s home town (near Cairo,WV)) is raising money to help him out during this difficult time. "The Hut" is having a chicken bbq benefit and charity auction this Saturday, May 18. Dinners will be done by 10:00 am and we will be selling them until they are all gone. Auction will start at 7:00pm that evening. The address is The Hut, 5th St, New Haven WV. https://www.gofundme.com/f/tim-roush-motorcycle-accident

Picked up my scoot this morning. The mechanic said he couldn't find anything wrong. I took it for a 100 mile test ride and everything seemed okay but I bought a battery tender and the scoot will be hooked up when its in the garage. You guys have a great time this weekend and be safe.

Y'all have a great time this year! Once again work keeps me from joining y'all. I am officially retiring on Dec 31st this year and am already making plans to be there next year... God willing.

Mike

Did your ears turn red about 7 PM when we were talking badly about you? All kidding aside, I would have liked to meet you. 🆒
We have 12 people here, around 6 -7 NTs, and Carl (from Maine) on the way and will arrive sometime tonight.

Missed being able to attend this year. Starting building a house is keeping me away. Looks like might be very well attended. Have a good time and ride safe.

You guys have fun! It was great being there with you last year. Spearfish is likely to be my longest ride this year.

Back
Top Bottom