The 2020 NT Gathering - Cairo, WV [CANCELLED]

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
We'll keep our fingers crossed that things clear-up before May but it honestly doesn't look good at this point because we're sadly still in the discovery stage with more cases cropping up each day. They've found that an assisted-living facility north of town had more than 10 infected oldsters.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
We'll keep our fingers crossed that things clear-up before May but it honestly doesn't look good at this point because we're sadly still in the discovery stage with more cases cropping up each day. They've found that an assisted-living facility north of town had more than 10 infected oldsters.
I just have a feeling that in the next few days WVA will close the venue. We are, I think, still on the uphill side of the curve and I don't see things getting any better before May. I hope I'm wrong.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Mike, if you do US-2 (which is a whole lot of flat and empty in some places), try to do the stretch from Minot to Williston at night. The gas flares from the Bakken oil field light up the night!
Mike-sim, I thought you were in the CDCs "stay home age class"

If you are indeed a miracle worker and get to pull your big ride off this year, I wouldn't take US2 through the oil fields on purpose. Last time I was there it was heavy construction traffic, high gas prices, no motel vacancies, and crowded campgrounds. I'd avoid Williston area at least for an over-night stay.

I've crossed the Dakotas many times including US2, I94, US12, US212, US14, I90, US18, US20, and others. My favorites are US212 and Nebraska 12 (OK so Neb 12 is not in the Dakotas, but it goes E-W).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
junglejim said: "My favorites are US212 and Nebraska 12 (OK so Neb 12 is not in the Dakotas, but it goes E-W)."

I'd second that. NE-12 is a truly great ride. And you can see Carhenge easily if you take it.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike-sim, I thought you were in the CDCs "stay home age class"

If you are indeed a miracle worker and get to pull your big ride off this year, I wouldn't take US2 through the oil fields on purpose. Last time I was there it was heavy construction traffic, high gas prices, no motel vacancies, and crowded campgrounds. I'd avoid Williston area at least for an over-night stay.

I've crossed the Dakotas many times including US2, I94, US12, US212, US14, I90, US18, US20, and others. My favorites are US212 and Nebraska 12 (OK so Neb 12 is not in the Dakotas, but it goes E-W).
Actually, I'm in the CDC's DND (damned near dead) class :LOL:. My long ride is predicated on a lot of things, many of which are determined by the length/severity of the pandemic. I'm still playing with options in the back of my mind if the pandemic is brought under some kind of control by summer. If the plan falls apart, I can always confine my travel to day trips,

Mike

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Ohio goes into lockdown mode tonight at midnight, until April 6 or later? I'm happy our governor is trying his best to stay ahead of the problem. :cool:

Last edited:

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Guys, I kept wondering if our event was going to happen, so I went online this am to see. All the parks in FL where I live are closed, and this is what I found on the WV website -
Closures and service changes due to COVID-19
Updated March 23, 2020
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 public health situation and to protect the health of our visitors and staff, we have made the following closures and service changes:
  • All park lodges are closed.
  • All cabins are closed.
  • All campground reservations have been suspended at least through April 16.
  • All restrooms are closed.
  • All lodge services are closed.
  • Park restaurants have been closed. Curbside and carryout services is not available.
  • Spa services at Berkeley Springs State Park have been suspended until April 18.
  • Nature centers and museums are closed.
  • Special events have been cancelled through April 19 or postponed to a later date. View our event calendar for more information.
To modify an existing lodge or cabin reservation, call 1-833-WVPARKS.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Unfortunately, closing off parking areas to parks isn't dissuading people from heading to those areas in droves. I've seen people simply park their cars along the side of highway outside park entrances and just walk in. If a residential development is adjacent, they'll park there too. Until there's actual enforcement of towing and tickets going on, simply closing entrances isn't doing enough.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
It is going to be difficult to have any event for till June perhaps. Lots of lots revenue for many places, is going to hurt. Small events can go on but big ones may be an issue. Many are cancelled already, the planning for large events has caused postponements or cancellations.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For now, my guess is that OH will extend its lock down that was due to end on April 6 - better safe than sorry!

Duane (WVRider) and I will make a decision in mid-April about the NT Gathering happening.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm sure not counting on it.

Bike
2010 red NT
Just to be nosy . If we had the gathering, how many of us would there be?
I had a 88 nt650 gt (hawk) rode it for 34 years and only ever saw 3 or 4 on the road. I also had a 2008 Versys. Put 46000 miles on it on 3 years and never saw another one on the road. Traded it on a gold wing , missed it so I bought another Versys, the 2012 yellow one. After 4 years never saw one of them either.
Now I have the NT, I met a gentleman on his in a nearby town. Was looking forward to meeting more.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yeah, based upon what I've seen and read it seems unlikely that things will be even somewhat back to normal by May.

Mike

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Versysguy - there are 11 or 12 people who've confirmed they'll be at the NT Gathering and my guess is 8-9 NTs?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm guessing none of us will be there. If thinks change a whole lot by then, I will be.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Duane (WVRider) and I have been trading Emails about our NT Gathering and looking at the current covid-19 situation in OH and WV, we feel it would be best to pull the plug on our May date. OH will be in lockdown until at least May 1 and since WV started later, I suspect their lockdown will probably last longer.

OUR EVENT SCHEDULED FOR MAY 14-17 HAS BEEN POSTPONED!

I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone who has watched the recent news and I'm hesitant to propose a date in June-July because we could still be in the final stages of the lockdown? So that bumps our event into the Aug-Sept time frame but we can't get too far into Sept because it's my guess that the lodge will only have 3-meals per day/7 days a week up to Labor Day then they'll probably cut back to only serving meals on the weekends. Conversely, if we use a hotel with restaurants nearby we won't have that handicap.

When Duane and I met to discuss the routes (he did 100% of the scouting!) at a barbeque joint north of Logan OH, we noticed a hotel in that location plus 4-5 restaurants. One of the joints even has axe throwing if you think you're Olaf the Viking! It's roughly an hour northwest of North Bend SP to give you an approximate locale, so it would be closer for those coming from the north and west and further for you folks along the Atlantic coast.

Please give me your thoughts on choosing a new date in the Aug-Sept time frame and also using a hotel vs the state park.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Mellow - in the event heading on the right side of the page, please remove the dates and put "New date to be determined."

Thanks.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Good move, no one knows when things will be back to normal. Hopefully a event can happen latter. The riding season is on hold for many right now, heck in Michigan you can get a $1K fine for enjoying a ride, and I was told in

Top Bottom