The Race to 100,000

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Phil I just rolled over 94,000 miles on my 2011 NT700V. So I think this has just become the can a 2011 NT owner with 2 motorcycles beat a 2010 NT owner to 100,000 miles race.
That's a good way to put it -- you've sure got me beat on average miles/day. But you're gonna' have to hump it to beat me to 100K, no matter how far you commute! :nanana1:

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Wow! You don't commute! I just thought that was how you were piling up those miles. So if you ride 110 miles a day and you work, when do you sleep and where do you ride every day?

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Will piles up the miles in places like Blue Ridge Parkway, and every corner of the mountains in TN!! You can beat him Phil, just tell him to ride the OTHER m/c

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Great idea, David!

Ride your other motorcycle, Will! :)

Wow! You don't commute! I just thought that was how you were piling up those miles. So if you ride 110 miles a day and you work, when do you sleep and where do you ride every day?
My general riding is ride from around 7:00 P.M. to 10:00 P.M. Monday through Thursday after work. P.S. after work I can ride the road U.S. 129 nicknamed the dragon.
On Saturday & Sunday I usually ride from 10:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. usually in the western North Carolina mountains eating up pilot road 4's at a rate of 4,000 to 8,000 miles.
But I also ride in North Georgia, Southeast Kentucky, Southwest Virginia, and extreme Northwest South Carolina fairly regularly every weekend.
P.S. in case you forgot my NT has been to Alaska http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?8608-Ride-to-Alaska

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I had forgotten about your Alaska trip. Are you riding a lot in the dark? Sounds like it if you're riding till 10PM very often.

Yep I ride a lot at night when it's dark outside.
Once the clocks are rolled back 1 hour in the fall all of my weekday riding is ridden in the dark until the clocks roll forward 1 hour in March.

This is the main the reason i'm thinking about getting a new motorcycle before next winter.

The problem is that when it's below freezing at night i'm running heated socks, heated pant liner, heated jacket liner, heated gloves, and heated grips.
When running those items I have to make sure the rpm's don't drop below 3,000 rpms and I can't use the high beam.

But then once it starts getting down into the teens and single digits my helmet with a pinlock visor just doesn't work.
So the only solution that I think will work at night in single digit temperatures is to get a snowmobile helmet with a heated visor.
But there's no electricity left to run a heated snowmobile helmet on an NT700V.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm glad you said how much heated gear you run. I've noticed that if I crank my 95W Warm'n'Safe jacket up all the way, have the heated grips on high, and my Denalis turned on, I can't run high-beams either. I'd wondered if it would run socks and pants. I wouldn't want to turn off my Denalis with all the critters we've got around here. My wife hit a deer in her Altima a couple of years ago and I hit a little West Virginia deer with my Connie back in '08. I didn't go down but it did nearly $3,000 in damage. Since I was in WV, I was really glad the bike was rideable going home.

Phil i'm not sure if that's going to work with a 95 watt heated jacket liner you might be able to run heated socks though.

My bike has no aftermarket lighting and my heated jacket is only a 65 watt liner.

I can just barely run all those items and I have to be really careful and turn off the pants and socks when stopped or in traffic.

Just hiting the brakes adds 32 watts to the bikes electric load add turning on a turn signal into the mix and your up to 53 watts almost as much as turning on the 55 watt high beam.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks for the feedback, Rust. I've really been fairly comfortable in temps down to 20F without heated socks, gloves, or pants. I guess I'll just keep on riding that way.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
As there is only a finite amount of power available for the farkles you need to either:

• ration the power (nah, stupid idea :D) or
  • change the items you can change for lower power items
What I have done changed some items for lower power consumption items:

HID low beam ?20W saving
LED Position Light ?3.5W saving
LED Licence Plate Light ?3.5W saving

So I have saved 27W of power. This has allowed me to add 20W fog light system and about 4W Admore Lighting TopBox LEDs (I'm not sure of the power requirements of the Admore Lighting system but I would think about 2W per side for the brake/indicator lights).

So with my farkles I am using 3W less power now than in "factory spec".

If you need to save more, you could go for:
  • an HID high beam (not really recommended as it's too slow to power up and the longevity is compromised),
  • LED indicators and
  • LED tail lights (I'm not convinced as to the level of light yet).
This could, potentially if everything was powered up at the same time (unlikely), save between ?30W and ?120W therefore allowing you a toasty warm liner!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I don't know, Dave. If Rustinpeace is putting on 100-200 miles every evening after he gets off work, he may beat me. I won't be going home to Greeley for a month and don't have the time to ride much here. I'll probably get some miles on this Saturday, but Sunday sounds wet.

Phil my weekday mileage is unpredictable I might only go ride 30 miles one night or 200 miles the next night.

My weekend mileage is also unpredictable I might only ride 400 miles or I might ride over 1,000 miles on a weekend.

P.S. I sometimes play some of the tag games on advrider and I just happened to probably go right past Woodaddicts house and back home in this tag http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385248&page=1668 .

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
prospect hill, nc, never heard of that town. but you did pass just north of me by about 47 miles on I-40 at winston -salem,nc. look at NT forum members, I have a pin at my location. you could do another ride closer to my house, and come by and chat a while!!

prospect hill, nc, never heard of that town. but you did pass just north of me by about 47 miles on I-40 at winston -salem,nc. look at NT forum members, I have a pin at my location. you could do another ride closer to my house, and come by and chat a while!!
Yeah that's just what the gps said I didn't see that town on google maps and I think I was somewhere close to Roxboro, NC

I'll try to remember that the next time I ride out of the mountains and over to that area of North Carolina.

But I've only ridden over to that area twice in the last year.

Top Bottom