"Top Ten" Classic Hondas

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I owned a brand new 1981 CBX ( the silver one with the fairing and matching detachable luggage). I t was an awesome touring bike and was fun to ride. Never gave me a moment of trouble. The only problem I had was it took 20 minutes to fill up. Any time I stopped for gas I spent 20 minutes answering questions from admiring onlookers.
It might not float your boat in pictures but it was a lovely machine to study in person

PS I still get people coming up to me to admire my NT and they are usually riding a bike that costs 2-3 times what I paid for mine

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
And What is a classic? How about, "Honda Motorcycles that changed the world of Motorcycles for ever." No scooters allowed. No dirt bikes allowed.
Goldwing. NO brainer
I would agree with Chris regarding the Goldwing. However, I would refer to only the GL1000 and GL1100's.

My 82 GL1100A Aspencade was the best touring bike had ever owned. It had all the bling I needed and ever wanted from the factory. Mine had the optional cassette player that would automatically switch to the other side of my Mix Tapes, it was a rare option on most GoldWings of the time period. It was heavy but too heavy and manageable even with all the extra aftermarket bling the previous owner put on it. 4 cylinders were plenty.

Mine was very close to looking like this one. A bit more aftermarket bling than mine had.

The next best runner up for the best Touring bike is DIVA my 2010 NT700V. I enjoy this bike just as much as I did the GL1100.

I also enjoy my NC700X DCT just as much.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I would agree with Chris regarding the Goldwing. However, I would refer to only the GL1000 and GL1100's.

My 82 GL1100A Aspencade was the best touring bike had ever owned. It had all the bling I needed and ever wanted from the factory. Mine had the optional cassette player that would automatically switch to the other side of my Mix Tapes, it was a rare option on most GoldWings of the time period. It was heavy but too heavy and manageable even with all the extra aftermarket bling the previous owner put on it. 4 cylinders were plenty.

Mine was very close to looking like this one. A bit more aftermarket bling than mine had.

The next best runner up for the best Touring bike is DIVA my 2010 NT700V. I enjoy this bike just as much as I did the GL1100.

When they stop making the NC700/750, the price of used ones will probably double. Such an overlooked gem.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
When they stop making the NC700/750, the price of used ones will probably double. Such an overlooked gem.

Just like both the GB500 and NT650 GT-Hawk. As much I liked these bikes when they first came out in the late 80s. I could not see spending over $4,000 for either of them now. For $1,500 I would raise an eyebrow at one.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3

My 83 GL 1100 Interstate was the best large touring motorcycle that I have owned. Put many miles on that bike never ever had a serious problem with that bike.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I owned a brand new 1981 CBX ( the silver one with the fairing and matching detachable luggage). I t was an awesome touring bike and was fun to ride. Never gave me a moment of trouble. The only problem I had was it took 20 minutes to fill up. Any time I stopped for gas I spent 20 minutes answering questions from admiring onlookers.
It might not float your boat in pictures but it was a lovely machine to study in person

PS I still get people coming up to me to admire my NT and they are usually riding a bike that costs 2-3 times what I paid for mine
Did you have aftermarket or stock exhaust?

If I had a CBX, the first thing I'd do would be to ensure I could properly hear it sing. I couldn't imagine leaving Honda's F1-like sounding motorcycle muffled.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Did you have aftermarket or stock exhaust?

If I had a CBX, the first thing I'd do would be to ensure I could properly hear it sing. I couldn't imagine leaving Honda's F1-like sounding motorcycle muffled.
I never touched it. It was all I could do to make the $189/mo payments!!! LOL

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The four bikes I mentioned in my original response (Cub 50, CT Trail 90, GL1000, and CB750) were important for Honda as regards sales numbers but also started new genres where other makers also jumped into those categories. Some people might not agree with my choices but such is life. :)

Bike
2010 silver NT700
The four bikes I mentioned in my original response (Cub 50, CT Trail 90, GL1000, and CB750) were important for Honda as regards sales numbers but also started new genres where other makers also jumped into those categories. Some people might not agree with my choices but such is life. :)
I agree, some bikes were neat but they didn't usher in a new genre. I think the 87 Transalp was an important model, as was the 87 CBR600. The 600 ushered in a new class of sportbike that dominated the market. I also think it contributed to the developement lightweight 900's and 1000's.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I disagree. The NC has been out long enough, and the used market is incredibly well stocked with them. Yes it gets good gas mileage. Yes it's comfortable. However the styling is nothing special. Looking back in 20 years it will look like any other bike from the ADV era. The performance also isn't there. Such a low redline, it runs out of steam very quickly. I think it will maintain a decent resale value like any Honda bike, but I don't see it being coveted like the F4i, let alone a legend status like the RC51 or CBX. It'll be a bike most own as a stepping stone in their motorcycle ownership career.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Another genre starter IMHO was the Z50. At the dealer where I worked we got 'em by the tractor trailer load and couldn't put 'em together fast enough.

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My 83 GL 1100 Interstate was the best large touring motorcycle that I have owned. Put many miles on that bike never ever had a serious problem with that bike.
I got my Yamaha dealer to order me a left over standard 1983 Wing in the crate for $3,000. Circa 1985. You could have any color you wanted as long as it was black. Vetter was located in Champaign-Urbana where I lived and I went there and got a "factory second" Windjammer, put that on and a luggage rack and used soft luggage to tour for 17 years. It was child's play to service and the only thing that went wrong was a brake master cylinder. I think we can all agree that the GoldWing and the 750 changed the US motorcycle world for ever. But the years of Honda selling 87,000 units in the US are over....unless we talk generators, lawn mowers, etc. IMHO Honda (and other Japanese) cars changed the way America drives cars also.
bikepic.jpg

Bike
2010 NT700V
While it's neat seeing everyone's picks, there are bikes that didn't make the list that objectively could be based on current demand.

The CX Turbos are one of those. While I appreciate the engineering that went into them, they're not a bike I'd seek out. However, they are still becoming one of the more highly sought after Hondas from the 80's. Second only to the CBX. Check KBB or even NADA Guides on current values, somewhere around $7K,.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s
Over on ST-Owners we were chatting about the video by FortNine about how Harley killed itself and the question of global motorcycle sales came up - so I googled the data and wrote this post. I think it contains some data which is germane to this discussion too.

Pete
—————————————————————————————

One thing to remember is that to us, the North American and European motorcycle markets are big - but the fact is that we are a very tiny part of the bike-buying world (well under 4% of the global total and North America is under half that amount - see the data below).

For every ST or GL (or Concours or FJR) sold by the J4 or Road King Superglide Chromematic Brontosaurus Ultra sold by HD in North America or Europe, somewhere else in the world, somebody is selling literally hundreds of other bikes. Some of those “someones” are Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki and yes, a few Bimmers, Ducatis, Triumphs and KTMs as well (along with Royal Enfield, Hyosung and others whose names escape me) - but it ain’t Harley Davidson. If you go to India or China, or Indonesia, or anywhere in Africa, you see domestic brands and J4 bikes by the zillion on every road - but you’ll wait a loong time to see a Harley go by.

Here is some real data to consider (from Statista.com - 2018 Global Motorcycle Sales):
  • Asia-Pacific: 108.8 million (more than 82% of global motorcycle sales)
  • Africa-Middle East: 10.1 million
  • Central & S. America: 8.1 million
  • Western Europe: 3.03 million
  • North America: 1.93 million (less than 1.5% of the total)
  • TOTAL: 132 million sales globally
So, as Ryan said in the FortNine video (which is excellent IMO), many years ago Harley Davidson doubled-down on a very small market niche of “true believers and outlaws and now those people have all the bikes they need and that demographic is aging-out on the Motor Company. Meanwhile they wasted the breathing room that Reagan gave them through 700 cc import tariffs of the 1980s, by failing to develop appealing new products - and now they have nothing to sell to any other larger markets and they have nothing to sell to the shrinking pool of domestic (ie. North American) riders who are selecting other brands (as confirmed by Harley’s own sales data). Harley is only a bit player in Europe and even smaller anywhere else. If they can’t live in North America, they will die here.

...and yes, you do see a lot of Harleys on the road - today - but their own sales figures don’t lie and so give it a few years and I suspect that number will shrink as the owners age and stop riding.

Finally, I suspect that many of the Harleys you see on the road today were sold new 5-15 years ago when things were perking along well for them (and they were failing to look at their sales demographic and develop appealing new products). It’s the new sales that really matter to a business - not how many of their products you see on the road today. That only tells you about history - except for tee-shirt sales, used motorcycles don’t impact corporate profits today.

If you go to a BSA vintage rally next week - you will see a lot of BSAs - but just try to buy a new one....

I’m not happy about it - but the conclusion seems inescapable from the data and as some journalists say: “facts matter”.

Pete

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
MikeSim - Yes, the Z50 was also wildly-popular and one year they even had a "Christmas Version" that had a chrome tank and fenders. In the 60s, my cousin bought the forerunner to the Z50 for his kids and it was called the Honda Mini-trail. Those three kids (1 boy, 2 girls) rode the wheels off that and years later I took a close look at it and everything was either worn out or badly bent but the engine still ran!

Coyote Chris "...But the years of Honda selling 87,000 units in the US are over..."

Huh?...Where did you get that lowball number? During some of the crazy days of the early-80s, American Honda was selling 30,000-to-40,000 of ONE MODEL.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
MikeSim - Yes, the Z50 was also wildly-popular and one year they even had a "Christmas Version" that had a chrome tank and fenders. In the 60s, my cousin bought the forerunner to the Z50 for his kids and it was called the Honda Mini-trail. Those three kids (1 boy, 2 girls) rode the wheels off that and years later I took a close look at it and everything was either worn out or badly bent but the engine still ran!

Coyote Chris "...But the years of Honda selling 87,000 units in the US are over..."

Huh?...Where did you get that lowball number? During some of the crazy days of the early-80s, American Honda was selling 30,000-to-40,000 of ONE MODEL.
The Mini-Trail was what I was referring to.... isn't that the Z50? My remembery must be worser than I thought!!!

Mike

Top Bottom