"Top Ten" Classic Hondas

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I suspect that the reasons they have not kept going with longitudinal crankshaft layouts are related to cost, weight, complexity and performance:
  • the engine power must somehow wind up applying torque to the rear axle of the bike which is always transverse to the axis of the motorcycle - so a transverse crankshaft does not require a 90 deg. turn (i.e. all of the shafts in the engine, transmission and the axle are parallel);
  • a longitudinal crankshaft does require at least one 90 deg. turn in the power path and that requires bevel gears which are heavier and more costly than spur gears as well as larger bearings to resist the large thrust forces inherent in bevel gear sets and these bearings also generally have more friction, are heavier and cost a good deal more than smaller bearings;
  • a drive shaft and its housing plus the rear "pumpkin" bevel gear housing are heavier than a simple chain and two sprockets (which adds overall weight to the bike) and it also adds un-sprung mass to the rear end of the motorcycle which makes handling slower and reduces the responsiveness of the suspension somewhat.
There have been a few transverse-engined bikes that also had shaft drive (Suzuki GS650G, GS850G and GS1000G, Yamaha XJ750 Seca and a fair number of Hondas including the NT700V and others), but these bikes paid a significant penalty in cost, weight and complexity with two bevel gear sets (one at each end of the driveshaft) and while they were all great machines, they never sold as well as the chain driven variants and competitors in the same displacement class.

Too bad - I have always felt that my 1979 Suzuki GS850G was one of the nicest and best riding bikes I have ever owned and I would love to have an NT700V nowadays - but I am not very sporty.

Pete
Pete:
Consider me duly chastised for the incorrect engine orientation. I was thinking longitudinal but wrote transverse. I will now go stand myself in the corner..... transversely of course....... er.... or is that longitudinally......?
;^)

Mike

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Diagonally it is/was...... Glad that's over...... Now, Pete has made some cogent arguments as to why Honda did not pursue the longitudinal engine orientation beyond the aforementioned bikes. That being said, why then do you suppose Moto Guzzi adopted and stayed with the longitudinal engine orientation for lo these many years? Going further, ditto Ducati for staying with desmo valve actuation. I had the misfortune of working on one Duc/Desmo bike for a buddy years ago..... never again!

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The look of opposed v-cylinders on the CX-series was never popular with new buyers. The very first year, the cylinders were devoid of any finning so some said it looked like a like an air compressor mounted in a motorcycle! The next year they added superflous fins to the cyl head cover and cylinders and although they didn't make it run any cooler, it did look a little more like a motorcycle engine. And there was the problem with cam chain tensioners. :-(

In retrospect, I wonder if it was truly necessary for the cylinders to hang out in the air or just something done to be different, similar to the CBX? It did make valve adjustments and carb work simple and unlike the Airhead Beemers of that period, you didn't have to worry about your boots & shins running in the carbs. :-(

Similar to any motorcycle engine, the CX engine had advantages and disadvantages. It may have been more expensive to machine but that's only a guess and that was one of the actual (internal) complaints about the V4 engines from the start. Engine factory managers cringe when some new & unique process or setup is required but nowadays many of those changes are done via CNC machining. My guess is that in the end, poor sales killed it because SALES are everything.

ps. MikeSim - I believe that latest Duc V4 has wire VALVE SPRINGS. :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
There's a lot to chew on, here. I think, the first reason they're not making such bikes today, is cost, and it's not reflected in sales. Buyers, for the most part, seem not to care. The CX sold respectable numbers, but not records. That is what they have to show for the added work and cost - it's sold as well as class-competitors that didn't go that route.

The GL500, was - let's face it - a flop. It was a bike for the times, for a rare window where contrived fuel shortages ruled. That was quickly resolved, and the Superbike era was in full swing; and that was what the old Silver Wing stepped into.

The others, with two bevel gears: I have a theory on that. In the years of Harley rebirth, and crusiers' sudden popularity in general, with all the Japanese brands making V engines...Honda just had to have a few Vs to be credible. The CX motor was one way, but it had compromises. Trying a smaller bike like the Ascot, with a V, and shaft drive, seemed like it might get the exhaust beat right, but with shaft drive and light weight.

Another strike.

The PC800 and NT were to do the same; but now Honda, with the Africa Twin, is showing some more cleverness: A 270-degree firing pattern, to mimic the shake and beat of the V-engine exhaust but in a modern in-line twin. And of course they can use the same basic engine for other models, now - with a 360 or 180 crank as they choose. Smooth, or with the uneven pulse of the 180 or 270.

And of course, the last shaft-engine choice - the big in-line four, of the kind in my Nighthawk S. It was meant for the tweed-wearing owner who wanted to ride but not wrench. I guess that's not a big market these days. That's a sporting bike but my example needs a lot of work, and this is not the time for it.

Notice, also, that the Africa Twin, which is a premium model, comes with chain drive. Because it doesn't seem to discourage buyers. Any more than it discourages customers for BMW's Rotax twin GSs.

It's a sad thing, but it seems the only plans for shaft drive are with the big four or six engines. Those, probably, are bought by lifetime hard-core riders. The others...for more casual or occasional riders, and probably including those who don't know what's involved in chain and sprocket maintenance and replacement.
The 270 degree firing pattern is actually more like an L twin Ducati. I doubt many confuse the sound of a Ducati with that of a Harley.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s
Diagonally it is/was...... Glad that's over...... Now, Pete has made some cogent arguments as to why Honda did not pursue the longitudinal engine orientation beyond the aforementioned bikes. That being said, why then do you suppose Moto Guzzi adopted and stayed with the longitudinal engine orientation for lo these many years? Going further, ditto Ducati for staying with desmo valve actuation. I had the misfortune of working on one Duc/Desmo bike for a buddy years ago..... never again!

Mike
Good thought Mike - and I have always sort of wondered about that too.

It seems that some brands are wedded to a single architecture and that is a huge part of who they are. For Harley, it is obviously 45 deg. V-twins, for Ducati, it is the 90 deg. L-twin, for BMW (in times past) it was the flat twin boxer engine (basically a 180 deg. Vee-twin) and as you say, for Moto Guzzi, it is the longitudinal 90 deg. V-twin. The Japanese manufacturers never seemed to get locked in like that did they? Among them, they have done singles, in-line twins, triples and fours (and even fives and sixes), V-twins (of many different included angles) and V-fours (in all orientations) and even flat fours and sixes - variety has been the spice of their lives!

Here in Windsor, we have a couple of Ford engine plants and the folks there have often remarked what a big deal it would be to shift from a 60 deg. V-6 engine block to a 90 deg. engine block configuration as would normally be used in a V-8. All of their big boring and honing machines are configured for the block angle layout and switching them around would cost BIG money (like hundreds of millions of dollars...). I suspect that is part of it with the motorcycle manufacturers above - back in the days of manually operated or even automatic (but not CNC) machine tools, changing the basic orientation of the engine block configuration would cost a ton-o'dough.

The other influencers are the marketing dept. (aka the Beauty Police). The engine of a motorcycle plays a big role in the overall appearance and persona of the bike - and the marketers use it as a key selling tool. Heck - bike service shops even advertise that they "work on V-twins" (i.e. Harleys & Indians) or they do not. The bike company Beauty Police spin legends about the reliability, maintainability, performance, torque, power and speed as well as the distinctive exhaust note and vibration signature of THEIR chosen engine configuration and they don't want to have to abandon all of that brand equity and figure out a new campaign for a new type of engine.

I watched an episode of Jay Leno's garage the other night and while I do like the show because you get to see some very pretty machines, the fact is that Leno should stick to the story about his specific car or bike and not try to talk about the engineering behind it - because often, much of what he says is only half-correct and sometimes it is absolute crap. In the last episode on YouTube he was talking about his 1953 Hudson Hornet and he was waxing eloquent about how the Hornet's straight-six inline engine had so much better torque than the V-8s of the day - and then he extended it to: that is why the best diesels are also always straight-sixes - because they need the torque.....blah blah blah.

What he was saying was absolute baloney. He really should leave the tech stuff to technical people and stick to his knitting as a humourist.

The things that determine the torque output of an internal combustion engine are:
  • the number of cylinders;
  • size of the air-fuel charge used in each cylinder (i.e. the displacement of the engine and whether or not it uses some sort of supercharger to increase the amount of air the engine processes);
  • the process efficiency of the combustion chamber within each cylinder (which is affected by intake and exhaust system geometry, piston and valve motion imposed by the camshafts or in a two stroke, the cylinder ports & geometry);
  • the throw (i.e. the half-length of the stroke) of the engine crankshaft.
The geometric configuration of the cylinders (i.e. inline, Vee, radial or opposed, longitudinal or transverse - or even diagonal ;)) plays no direct role in determining torque or power output. The geometric configuration is all about ease and cost of manufacturing along with "packaging" the engine and intake/exhaust systems, the engine-transmission-driven wheel interface (i.e. chain or shaft drive) and it certainly affects the engine balance and vibration characteristics.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
As regards to Guzzi's transverse V-twin, my thought on why it's been kept is: cost, cost, and cost. They are part of the Piaggio empire and not too many Euros flow to Guzzi. :)

Bike
As regards to Guzzi's transverse V-twin, my thought on why it's been kept is: cost, cost, and cost. They are part of the Piaggio empire and not too many Euros flow to Guzzi. :)
Indeed. The "legend" I have heard is that Moto Guzzi bike started out as a response to a 1960's call for proposals to develop a standard military motorcycle for NATO use in Europe.

By that time, all of the WW2 Harleys, BMWs and British bikes in military service were worn out and NATO nations wanted something that was more modern, reliable and easily serviced plus able to haul some more gear and was still low cost to buy, own and operate. Outright sporty performance was not as important as rugged reliability and easy servicing plus the ability to be repaired without a lot of fancy tools (I guess that knocked out BMW....;)).

Sooooo.....Moto Guzzi came up with an air-cooled transverse V-twin in <I think>a 750cc displacement with a shaft drive - and they took the big prize and got the contract. They eventually expanded the bike to an 850 and civilianized it and the rest, as they say, is history.

Apparently, the thing is tough as nails and big enough to haul a fair bit of kit around without breaking down all the time....

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That being said, why then do you suppose Moto Guzzi adopted and stayed with the longitudinal engine orientation for lo these many years? Going further, ditto Ducati for staying with desmo valve actuation. I had the misfortune of working on one Duc/Desmo bike for a buddy years ago..... never again!
MIke, did you know that Ducati is not using desmodromic valve actuation on its latest and greatest Panigale? Current valve springs have progressed so that they work as well as desmo up to something like 16,000rpm, and they allow a much longer maintenance interval.

Bike
....further on the subject of Ducati (via our Australian correspondent - the inimitable, Marlon Slack).....

WARNING: do not try to drink anything while watching this video.

Be sure to check out Marlon's other great videos and bike reviews (and again - if you value the decor of your home, DO NOT try to drink anything when watching his videos).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
That was great! I hadn't heard of Marlon Slack before but he moves right up there alongside of Peter Egan, Clement Salvadori, and Kevin Cameron.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
ps. MikeSim - I believe that latest Duc V4 has wire VALVE SPRINGS. :)
Yes, I saw that and was shocked that Duc finally surrendered to modernity. The story behind the desmo setup was that due to the high revs the Duc engines were operating at Duc engineers could not find valve springs that were strong enough to hold up. All the journos and Ricky Racer types were in thrall to the desmo setup.... until..... it came time to adjust the valves or pay for same.

Mike

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Friend Mike (my go to electronic/computer/motorcycle genius) has basically quit riding in the last two years, but, as I was leaving his house on Tuesday, I mentioned that I was going to ride up to Cheyenne and he asked if the motorcycle shop that was up there was still up there. I told him I didn't know and he said that he couldn't get past wanting a Ducati but didn't know if he'd want to take it up there for service. Well, it's not. The nearest two dealers to him are in Denver (53 and 58 miles from his house). I checked on that and texted him telling him that. His reply was, "They're expensive enough to maintain that I probably won't do it, but who knows..." I hope he does. Of all the people I've ever ridden with, I've probably ridden more miles with Mike than anybody else. Of course, if he's on a Ducati, and I'm on an NT, we only see each other if he waits for me at the end of the ride.

Top Bottom