Winter Maintenance Project on the NT

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
1Q) The manual says that NT will take 2.8L of engine oil if the oil filter is also replaced.

I have 3 bottles of 945ml oil, so fill 3 bottles is 2.835L, i am assuming an extra 35ml of oil should not cause any issues.. thoughts ...

i hate to throw away oil due to the environmental pollution angle...

ALSO: keep the bike on center stand when draining the engine oil. I did it on the side stand (assuming the tilt would drain out more oil), but when I put on center stand couple of more ml of oil dripped out.

But, for the transmission fluid, the side stand it better to drain, as when I put on side stand few more ml of fluid came out. Filling should be on center stand.
I replaced my drain plug with a Fumoto valve that way I can change the oil on the road without tools. I start off on the sidestand and then climb aboard and hold the bike upright with my legs for about five minutes and let it drain a bit more. To change the filter I put the bike on the center stand. I tighten it hand tight so I can remove it by hand. I just dump three quarts of oil in and I'm done. A slight over/unde fill will cause no harm.

Mike

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
I replaced my drain plug with a Fumoto valve that way I can change the oil on the road without tools. I start off on the sidestand and then climb aboard and hold the bike upright with my legs for about five minutes and let it drain a bit more. To change the filter I put the bike on the center stand. I tighten it hand tight so I can remove it by hand. I just dump three quarts of oil in and I'm done. A slight over/unde fill will cause no harm.

Mike
that is very interesting mod ... i would appreciate a pic and link ...

since the drain plug is on the side, no ground clearance lost... I think a good mod to do for next time I change oil ...

too bad, I cant do that to my GS that needs more frequent oil changes... :(

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have never had an instance where I had to change oil while on a trip, even riding to Hyder AK which was 3000 miles one-way. And if such a situation would ever arise, the simple tool kit I carry with me can do the oil change but what would I use for a drain pan?

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
And if such a situation would ever arise, the simple tool kit I carry with me can do the oil change but what would I use for a drain pan?
I have read, and seems logical.........to pull into a Walmart (or Express Oil Change type facility) next to the Auto Shop......either borrow a plastic pan right there from the shop (or purchase an aluminum cooking pan inside the store). Drain the oil and let the store dispose of the used oil. Can buy the oil there as well. (NOTE: not stated to start an "oil discussion"......)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
...Just start the trip with freshly-changed oil. It's good for 8k miles so that should suffice for the vast majority of round trips. And if your bike has oil with half its life remaining, just pitch it at home where it's convenient and easy. Oil is cheap and it's crazy to start a trip with oil that has only a few thousand miles remaining. It's the same with tires - just fit new tires before your long trip and not be forced into a change partway! If you really want to get full mileage from your tires, keep the used ones and fit them later but I've never done that. :)

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I did a fly and ride to Tacoma Wa. to buy a V-Strom 650 with 300 miles on it. (private party purchase). Was going to head East over the mountains to Spokane and attended WeSToc. Was thinking about the Walmart / 600 mile break in oil change. Then Remembered that Fairchild Airforce Base is next to Spokane. Also remembered I am retired military and can enter the base with my Mil ID. I had brought a filter with me, Bought my oil at the Base Exchange and headed over to the Base Auto Hobby Shop. All the tools, oil collection pan, old oil recycle bin, and the work bay, all for four dollars for a half hour time period. And had a great conversation about the bike with the auto mech / manager of the hobby shop. All worked out great. Only time I have done a motorcycle oil change on the road.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I took my 21,000 mile Epic Ride in '13. I started with new oil and it didn't get changed until Baton Rouge, where Tim Wilke changed it for Amsoil after 11,800 miles. I believed that with no short rides and not much in cities, the oil wasn't going to be stressed as much as it was with normal riding. After that mileage, the bike hadn't used any oil, and the Amsoil made it fine the rest of the way home.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have never had an instance where I had to change oil while on a trip, even riding to Hyder AK which was 3000 miles one-way. And if such a situation would ever arise, the simple tool kit I carry with me can do the oil change but what would I use for a drain pan?
I've only changed on the road one time so far. Since I worked at an O'Reilly store I knew that every store recycled oil and all of them usually had a drain pan around. I just introduced myself to the manager and asked about the drain pan. I got the oil and filter there, changed the oil and recycled it and helped them eat lunchtime pizza.

Mike

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
that is very interesting mod ... i would appreciate a pic and link ...

since the drain plug is on the side, no ground clearance lost... I think a good mod to do for next time I change oil ...

too bad, I cant do that to my GS that needs more frequent oil changes... :(
Sunny, I don't have a pic of the Fumoto valve installed on my bike, but there is a link to the valve you want.

You want the F109SX which is adjustable to any orientation.

Mike

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
first ride after the oil changes, it was awesome .. engine, drive train , gear shifting felt so much smoother ...

Top Bottom