EV Update

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I too have pretty much given up on many of my former do-it-yourself automotive projects. I still do oil changes, except on the Miata as it is too low to the ground to get up on the ramps. Brakes are still done at home, but that's about it. Everything else is done by a trusted shop.

Mike

The beauty of the market swing is this "collapse" just created a wonderful opportunity for me to upgrade my EV. :D About a week ago we traded in the Kona EV and bought a new 2023 Ford Mach-e Premium for ~20% off sticker. All the discounts just kept stacking up...:) And we'll still see another $3,750 from the Feds when we do our taxes.;) My Miles Per Kilowatt did take a hit. The Kona was averaging 5 to 6 miles per kilowatt, the Mach-e is at 4 to 5 miles per kilowatt. So now I'm averaging just below 4 cents per mile

I agree the politicians seriously screwed up with the way the proposed EV transition was handled here in the USA. They got away with their mandates when lead was removed from gasoline in the 70's. I suspect they thought they thought they could do it again. Europe is another issues as the EU has proved itself a 800 pound gorilla in issues many times. They are going EV whether they are prepared or not and whether they like it or not.

I'll bet he is doing a polite "I told you so" to several senior members of the Toyota board. :rolleyes:

On a more humorous note here is a good picture of what happens if you miss a charge...

VEGAN.jpg
I'm with you on now being the time to look for good EV deals. I have yet to ride an electric murderbike but the energica has my attention.
Before too long I'm going to have to swallow my distaste for musk as a person and get a used Tesla- we rented one for a week over the summer on the east coast and that cemented it for me- once the infrastructure is sorted EV is my preference. Tesla sorted that infrastructure from the start which was essential for adoption.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Took my Bolt to the dealer today, wanted to let them to look at the work they did. The Tires got rotated and they recommended a cabin filter. So far so good.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Before too long I'm going to have to swallow my distaste for musk as a person and get a used Tesla- we rented one for a week over the summer on the east coast and that cemented it for me- once the infrastructure is sorted EV is my preference. Tesla sorted that infrastructure from the start which was essential for adoption.
You no longer need a Tesla to have access to the Tesla charger network. All the major North American brand are adapting the Tesla charger cable connector, the North American Charging Standard or NACS. The Tesla Supercharger network is being opened to all so Tesla can get in on the federal funds for charge stations. With these ongoing changes I don't need a Tesla to have the perks.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Both Ford and now GM are backtracking on their EV rollout as announced just a few months ago. Mazda and VW are scaling back their plans as well until they see the market solidify on consumer desire vs government edict.

Consumer Reports who only a few months ago were singing the praises of EV's as salvation for the environment are now warning their readers that EV's are much less reliable than their ICE and hybrid alternatives.

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Both Ford and now GM are backtracking on their EV rollout as announced just a few months ago. Mazda and VW are scaling back their plans as well until they see the market solidify on consumer desire vs government edict.

Consumer Reports who only a few months ago were singing the praises of EV's as salvation for the environment are now warning their readers that EV's are much less reliable than their ICE and hybrid alternatives.

Mike
Gotta love it. :biggrin:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Same over here, the omnipresent "religious cult"-like propaganda slowly gets dialed back... forcefully as the sales on EVs tanked, whilst prices on used (conventional) cars have skyrocketed...
The concept of boosting EV sales by simply raising fuel costs backfired completely, as it impacted every aspect of life, energy costs, food prices, production, construction industry, real estate values, bankruptcies, unemployment raising, etc... down to availability (lack of) medications... it all caused only a lot of Unruhe within the (already riddled) population...
Righteous moral killed by an empty stomach, who would have expected this... 😏

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Have had my second hand Bolt for a year now. Rotated the tires and replaced the cabin filter so far.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Gotta love it. :biggrin:
No, not really loving it. To me, not making progress on EVs is, well, not making progress. It strikes me as having a worthy goal, throwing up our hands, and saying "sorry, too difficult, can't do it".

Still awaiting my electric Accord.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
And on a different note:

the federation has stopped issuing permits for (private) photovoltaic systems...
The grid can't cope with the load/directional changes anymore... imminent risk of brownouts due caused instability of frequency (50Hz)...
(we've only installed a "minor system" (two panels, <800W peak) on the garden-shed...)

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I just read an article this morning on used EV values. They apparently are depreciating much quicker than anticipated, much more than an equivalent ICE vehicle. On a brighter note, the State of Nevada is planning on electrifying the Lonliest Highway in the US. Yup, next year US 50 thru Nevada will have charging stations in strategic locations. I have ridden across the country on US 50 and the stretch thru Nevada is especially deserted. When I left Tonapah headed east, there was a sign leaving town that said next fuel 186 miles. I had a full tank on Traveller, but the sign really gave me pause.

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
It would appear Hertz is having issues with EV collision repair costs.IMG_20231209_174354065_copy_1064x1591.jpg

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
It would appear Hertz is having issues with EV collision repair costs.
Over here not only the premiums raised significantly, the insurers are very quick in writing an EV off as totaled over minor damages...
Yeah, speeding up the circulation surely raises, supplier, MFG and share holder's profits, this also inflates the stats for the omnipresent "increased registration numbers of EV's!" propaganda, whilst turning the advertised/promised nature preservation ad absurdum... :rolleyes:

But even standard repairs and service on EV's are charged at astronomical rates...
Charging port cover/lid on VW ID4 is a € 25,- part...
Obviously cheaply made, the locking taps break easily/often...
VW denies warranty coverage... quote for replacement € 1500,-... totally inflated...

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
... WSJ article....
It shows a $110/month ($1320/year) average insurance increase for an EV. Seems excessive, so I checked. Identical coverage with same drivers for my truck vs a Tesla 3... $800/year increase. Wow. Didn't expect that. $800 is a 200 gallons of gas.

Bike
2010 NT700V
266 gallons today.

When I bought my RAV4, I compared cost and weight for ICE an hybrid. Using my annual mileage and age, I would be deceased before I broke even. I got the ICE.
However, I bought a 2023 Ford Maverick hybrid. Why not? Before the 2024 model year, the turbo four and the hybrid four were the same price.
I did keep the RAV. Gotta have dependable transportation when the Ford is Found On Road Dead.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I just read an article this morning on used EV values. They apparently are depreciating much quicker than anticipated, much more than an equivalent ICE vehicle. On a brighter note, the State of Nevada is planning on electrifying the Lonliest Highway in the US. Yup, next year US 50 thru Nevada will have charging stations in strategic locations. I have ridden across the country on US 50 and the stretch thru Nevada is especially deserted. When I left Tonapah headed east, there was a sign leaving town that said next fuel 186 miles. I had a full tank on Traveller, but the sign really gave me pause.

Mike
The loneliest road in America, US 50, does not go throughTonopah.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The loneliest road in America, US 50, does not go throughTonopah.
Now you've got me wondering. I spent the night in Tonopah. Obviously my remembery is not so good 🥴. I'll have to look at a map. Suffice it to say that I saw the sign on Highway 50 someplace in Nevada..

Mike

Top Bottom