EV Update

Ford ran into similar resistance from dealers when they introduced their E-truck.

50% of Ford dealers are saying NO to electric vehicle sales and service.

GM was requiring a $300K additional investment in their dealerships to pay for tools and equipment to handle EV sales.

Cheap compared to Ford at ~ $500K to $1M. Buick has become GM's Chinese favorite brand so I'm not surprised domestic dealers are surrendering their franchise. No interesting products unless you're old enough to remember taking Geritol. :rolleyes: Cadillac lost a lot of dealers as well.

Ford ran into similar resistance from dealers when they introduced their E-truck.

Around 50% with one major difference. At Ford you could choose not to sell EV's and still remain a dealer selling ICE and hybrid vehicles only. At GM it was all or none which was a good way to get rid of dealers which GM has wanted to do for a long time.

Once again, the market overrules government mandates and wishful thinking.

I also read where a small town in IL that was the proposed site of a multimillion dollar battery factory refuses to allow it to be built. It seems that the State awarded millions in tax abatement incentives to a ChiCom company to convert a former KMart distribution center into a L Ion battery factory. The residents not only said NO, but HELL NO!

Mike

Once again, the market overrules government mandates and wishful thinking.
Same here, sales figures went below 50% expectations...
Car rental agencies get rid of their EV fleet, expensive, low demand, unreliable, low range, very low resales value...

And the omnipresent "we want only your best... your money" strategy fails as they're asking ridiculous prices...

Were are the times we could get a brand new small Daewo/Chevy or Hundai for like € 13,599,- right off the shop floor... (those you popped a ribbon on and gave out for graduation...)

ICE cars in that class suddenly cost € 30,000- onward...
Want EV? Prep yourself for 50 large and up as entrance level... and they're all huge heavy, hence low range...

No reasonable priced car for Joe everyday, the MFGs purposely dropped all small (hence cheaper) sedans for lack of margin...

Hybrids are eating the EVs lunch. I have a Ford Maverick hybrid. No problems so far. I can go two to three miles at times in town on electric only. HOWEVER, I did keep my 2017 RAV4 JUST IN CASE. At the first sign of crap from the Ford, it goes on the market. I plan on getting rid of it when the three year warranty runs out.

Y'all know that most hybrids are just big paper weights if the main battery fails right? o_O Hybrids have the exact same battery issues / concerns as an EV but with more complexity due to the ICE in the mix.

I agree hybrids are a better choice than an EV for most applications and most drivers. I've owned hybrids for years, Hyundai, Toyota, Ford and Lincoln and my current F-150 is a PowerBoost hybrid. No hybrid issues with any of them...but they were traded, usually for a new hybrid, at three to four years. To me the ultimate solution is a Plug In Hybrid, or PHEV, that combines the advantages of an EV with a hybrid. But before singing the praises of any hybrid over an EV, or signing on the dotted line, you need to know "the rest of the story" as the final chapter is about the same... ;)

Meanwhile the EC lobbyists in Brussels preparing another hack ... :rolleyes:

Currently we've annual tech inspections, if a vehicle is determined not roadworthy you'll get a warning and a deadline to get that fixed at your own responsibility...
If that's passed without proper measure or a vehicle is found unsafe for road use in operation/on public property you'll loose license and therefore insurance cover...
Such covers all vehicles destined to be used/operated on public roadways, independent of age/year of first homolagization, tax class, fuel used, etc...
It's further up to the operator's/owner's responsibility how to discard a vehicle being totaled or beyond economic repair, you can sell it "as is" privately, trade it at a dealer, sell it to a utilizator (where they get parted out providing spares for those still on the road), sell as scrap metal to a junkyard, etc... you might also simply keep it in your garage/your property to deal with it some-when later...

So far so good, the state fulfills it's duty to ensure the safety of it's citizens there...

But now those Muppet bureaucrats plan to "expropriate" the people...
They intend to instate legal measures on not only when you have to dispose of your vehicle, but also that it must end up as scrap...
Imagine, you're at the annual MOT inspection where some overzealous paragraph jokey can then legally(!) simply decide "that's it", rips the license plates off and puts it in the press...
Forget about having a project vehicle sitting in your garage/barn you're working on since a couple of years, refurbing your young-timer, cause suddenly a registered letter hits, telling you've to scrap it within 30 days....
Far more, they also plan to force private and commercial sales of used parts into full warranty liability...
That will force almost all of those traders out business, so that's pretty much that for finding that gem of a NOS master brake cylinder for your '64 Beetle on eBay...

The constitutional and civil rights ramifications of this have yet to be fathomed ...

Fellas like me who intend to keep their old current vehicles operational and in top condition as long as possible (for obvious reasons) will have to stock up on consumables and spares... :(
Interesting. In the US, there are many "interesting" people who hoard old junk cars. City of Spokane or Spokane Valley passed some sort of ordinance that they have to be licensed. I heard a rumor that Germany taxes vehicles the older they get??????? Can anyone confirm this? One way of keeping clunkers off the road.

Y'all know that most hybrids are just big paper weights if the main battery fails right? o_O Hybrids have the exact same battery issues / concerns as an EV but with more complexity due to the ICE in the mix.

I agree hybrids are a better choice than an EV for most applications and most drivers. I've owned hybrids for years, Hyundai, Toyota, Ford and Lincoln and my current F-150 is a PowerBoost hybrid. No hybrid issues with any of them...but they were traded, usually for a new hybrid, at three to four years. To me the ultimate solution is a Plug In Hybrid, or PHEV, that combines the advantages of an EV with a hybrid. But before singing the praises of any hybrid over an EV, or signing on the dotted line, you need to know "the rest of the story" as the final chapter is about the same... ;)
OK, I will bite. Dont Priuses have an automotive battery and will run? I can see if the hybred battery fails in such a way as to load down the car.....

Same here, sales figures went below 50% expectations...
Car rental agencies get rid of their EV fleet, expensive, low demand, unreliable, low range, very low resales value...

And the omnipresent "we want only your best... your money" strategy fails as they're asking ridiculous prices...

Were are the times we could get a brand new small Daewo/Chevy or Hundai for like € 13,599,- right off the shop floor... (those you popped a ribbon on and gave out for graduation...)

ICE cars in that class suddenly cost € 30,000- onward...
Want EV? Prep yourself for 50 large and up as entrance level... and they're all huge heavy, hence low range...

No reasonable priced car for Joe everyday, the MFGs purposely dropped all small (hence cheaper) sedans for lack of margin...
The WSJ is saying most cars in Europe that are new are leased. It says the EVs coming off of lease now after 3 years? Nobody wants them.

Do plug in hybreds still need an expensive charging station in the garage?
I laughed years ago when I heard a study that a Hummer was less environmentally damaging than a Prius. I am not laughing now, but I want real world answers and data. And I want to see the next big thing in Battery technology. If indeed a battery comes along that is relatively inexpensive to make, environmentally friendly to recycle, with a high energy density, the world will change. If not, then we just have another feel good ethanol debacle, "Hey everybody! Look over here! Look at how much good we are doing! Dont look at the Amazon and Indonesian rain forest disappearing to plant sugar cain...dont look at 50 percent of America's corn crop being used at the cost of a whole bunch of pesticides and herbacides and fossil fuels being used to make an inferior fuel.......
Right now, EVs are a slide of hand trick or a stepping stone to the future....I hope the later....that will get rid of the ethanol problem.

I agree with Dirt Flier. The hybrid is a much more sensible solution until we can get the EV thing sorted out. Take our time, examine the options, examine the potential pitfalls and give the market a chance to vote before we all run off the EV cliff like lemmings.

Mike

I agree with Dirt Flier. The hybrid is a much more sensible solution until we can get the EV thing sorted out. Take our time, examine the options, examine the potential pitfalls and give the market a chance to vote before we all run off the EV cliff like lemmings.

Mike
IMG_20240103_171627247_HDR_copy_657x1276.jpg

OK, I will bite.

See Here for Prius specific info... For a more generic answer see Here.
Do plug in hybreds still need an expensive charging station in the garage?
No, a true hybrid does not require any charging station as it charges itself. A Plug In Hybrid, or PHEV, does require charging for the EV range. However that is easily handled by a Level 1 115VAC charger that plugs in to a standard outlet. Since most PHEV's only have around a 30 mile electric only range they can easily be recharged overnight on a Level 1. Most PHEV's will come with a Level 1 charge cable that will add about 4-5 miles of range per hour of charge. And some PHEV's can be software switched to recharge themselves while running down the road. It varies by brand and model...

I saw on another forum that some places have restrictions on charging the new vehicle batteries. They must be charged outdoors and not in a garage. This is because of the awful metal fires when the battery explodes into flame when overheated. I believe this was in Canada. If I were to buy an electric I would surely want it parked in my garage.
Anyone here have any such restrictions?

Arknt

I saw on another forum that some places have restrictions on charging the new vehicle batteries. They must be charged outdoors and not in a garage. This is because of the awful metal fires when the battery explodes into flame when overheated. I believe this was in Canada. If I were to buy an electric I would surely want it parked in my garage.

Arknt
I have heard of them. And during recalls. Do not park Tesla inside for now. Chevy Bolt would catch fire while charging. Make sure you do what your house insurance company says if you have a charger installed.

No, and I've never seen a generic restriction on where an EV can be charged in North America. Lots of fake news stories and other B.S. but no manufacturer or government agency behind a story. I have seen stories about private property owners with restrictions, mainly in Yankee land, due to old failing infrastructure.

But when there is a recall I have seen park outdoors away from buildings warnings...on ICE vehicles as well as hybrids and EVs. My neighbor can't park his fancy new KIA ICE SUV in the garage due to a wiring issue in the trailer harness that can cause a fire.

I think I am confused. can a traction battery be bad in the sense of low capacity but OK voltagee?

Sounds like a "surface charge" on a regular 12VDC battery. You couldn't give me a Prius so I'm not familiar with them.

EV fires are attracting a lot of attention lately as fire departments struggle to deal with them. Has anyone heard of home owners insurance companies refusing insurance coverage if an EV is garaged within? If not refusing coverage then extracting an additional premium for this coverage? I live in a rural area where the cost of homeowners insurance is predicated on the distance of your home from a fire hydrant or pond. I am close to neither so my coverage is more than if my home was in town. The info that I've read on EV fires indicates that the fire departments are finding that it takes about 36,000 gallons of water to extinguish an EV fire. Most of the rural FD tankers I'm familiar with are ~5,000 gallon capacity. Something to think about if you are considering an EV and live in the sticks like I do.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom