EV Update

ett

They can't even get battery operated simple devices such as phones, leaf blowers, lawnmowers, etc ... to be reliable.
All such devices as these; work ok the first year, in nice conditions. But after that they become unreliable pieces of junk.
So why would people expect devices such as motor vehicles to be any better ?

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The recent news stories about the EV performance during the recent "polar vortex" are just another wheel falling off the EV bandwagon. The losses that the rental companies are facing when they ditch the EV's are also costing the early adopting consumers a bunch of money due to the instant depreciation they are currently experiencing. It is reminiscent of the boom/bust performance of the GM V8 diesel in the 80's.

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V
The recent news stories about the EV performance during the recent "polar vortex" are just another wheel falling off the EV bandwagon. The losses that the rental companies are facing when they ditch the EV's are also costing the early adopting consumers a bunch of money due to the instant depreciation they are currently experiencing. It is reminiscent of the boom/bust performance of the GM V8 diesel in the 80's.

Mike
The wife of a co-worker bought one. Every day, he would have to leave work twice. Go home and jump it with his car in the morning. Go to her workplace and jump it in the afternoon.
Both my co-worker AND our foreman quickly got tired of that. They sold the Oldsmobile diesel.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Does anyone here think the advent of solid state batteries will change this dynamic?
It won't help the ridiculous sales prices of EV's...

Politicians, campaign runners, lobbyists, environmentalists, the media, the whole propaganda-bubble is flabbergasted why the "energy transition" doesn't take... hear-hear...

Doesn't take an armed eye to see the obscene prices of EV's combined with the lack/disadvantages of charging infrastructure aren't appealing to Joe average...
(the vast majority of the praised EV sales went to either rich folks or corporations who can get tax deductions...)

So they run a new strategy by blaming corporations to buy more small, base model EV's instead of the luxury sedans, in order to have them appearing in the used car marked in foreseeable time to be "more available for the average person"...
Right, like anyone would grab a heavily used, heavily abused, 5 year old company car with pretty much dead batteries... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Does anyone here think the advent of solid state batteries will change this dynamic?
Clay, I don't know enough about the solid state batteries to make an educated guess about their future in our transportation needs. I do know enough about economics, technology and human nature to predict that whatever technology succeeds the ICE will be chosen by engineering reality, economics and market forces and not government diktat. This is the way it has always been in a free society.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Clay, I don't know enough about the solid state batteries to make an educated guess about their future in our transportation needs. I do know enough about economics, technology and human nature to predict that whatever technology succeeds the ICE will be chosen by engineering reality, economics and market forces and not government diktat. This is the way it has always been in a free society.

Mike
I agree with you and i wish people would stop being so negative about this electric car phase. Its just one step in a series of steps of a process to find a solution. We can't not try anything.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Been reading thru all these post and the post over at ST-Owners on this subject and I have come to this conclusion. I don't have a issue with EV's or Hybrids, or Internal combustion vehicles. I think the technology for all of the different types of vehicles is interesting. It is your money, your circumstance, your vehicle. Live and deal with the pro's and con's of your choice. Buy what your life style supports. Don't bitch to others about their choices. What I do have a problem with the the "Holier than thou" attitude that either side of the issues have against the other. But most of all I hate that the Gov't is involved in deciding what choices we can make and has turned this all into a political "us against them" issue. The Gov't needs to stay out of the technical development and choice business and let the laws of the commercial market and the consumer decide what is to be available to the consumer. The Gov't should not dictate what or what type vehicle we should own. And this also applies to Gas Stoves, Lightbulbs, Dishwashers, Refrigerators, Hvac units , and a host of other products. The consumer and the free market will make the correct choices. There is a time and place for Govt intervention and that should be as small and short as possible, not the overriding factor. Again, Buy what you need, want, and what your life circumstances dictate for you. Choice is the operative word here.

Bike
2010 NT700V
The government and religious fanatics should also get out of our bedrooms and doctor's office.

Reactions: ett

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Yeah. A coal burning motorcycle ... wait, would you be required to have a separate fireman or stoker?

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For now, locals are just happy that the battery plant will create a large number of high-paying jobs. Fayette County is a semi-depressed area so I hope the plant will last 10 yrs or longer. As far as I know, there are no plans for Honda to ditch ICE-power completely and my guess is that it's being decided on a wait-and-see basis. Obviously forcing people to buy an EV over ICE is not the way to go and I hope folks will be able to make up their own minds, without government mandate.

Some places such as Tokyo, London, LA badly need to move away from cars in general - regardless of the means of propulsion. I believe London has restricted car/truck traffic within the central area without a costly permit and that was done not for pollution reduction but mainly to allow people in that area to move around on foot & on public transportation without being in a continual traffic jam. A few years ago, it was decided that ICE-power would not be allowed in Tokyo prefecture starting around 2035.

Last edited:
Top Bottom