Love Hate Love, an Intro

Norris, I wish you could have seen this forum a decade ago when it was really hoppin and Phil was thin! Many of us still have our NTs but have other bikes as well, or just stayed for the nice people. We have interesting rallys, too! View attachment 13794

Us So Cal Coast Boys are either living on a shoestring or trying to put our children through college. Cross-country rides and going far way to Rallys is not on our high priority list at this stage of my life. It is something I want to do later on in my life, just not right now.
 
Last edited:
Us So Cal West Coast Boys are either living on a shoestring or trying to put our children through college. Cross-country rides and going far way to Rallys is not on our high priority list at this stage of my life. It is something I want to do later on in my life, just right now.
Exactly. Plus CA has freaking everything right here. I do look forward to long tours when I'm older, though.
 
Ain't nothin' keepin' you So Cal West Coast Boys from having a rally of your own. You could probably get 4-5 together.

Just sayin'.

The very first "NT Rally" was in Michigan in 2010. Five of us met in Cadillac, MI, and picked up another NT about 100 miles northwest of there the next morning. We rode together for several hours, stopping for lunch, and then again before we split up north of Traverse City. I had been to Tomah, WI, for the Concours Owners Group Rally, and then went to Oshkosh to see the Experimental Aircraft Association Museum. Then I caught the USS Badger, the last coal-fired ferry on Lake Michigan and rode it from Manitowoc to Ludington, and got to Cadillac at about 9 PM. Three NTs were already there waiting and another came in about midnight.

We had 11 NTs meet in Hill City, SD, in '11. Some of those folks are still around (Chuck Henderson "Chucksklrst" and Jim Moore come to mind, there may be others). Then in '12, we merged into the ST/NT group and moved to Spearfish.
 
Ain't nothin' keepin' you So Cal West Coast Boys from having a rally of your own. You could probably get 4-5 together.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, we had our So Cal NT Rally, it was at my house this past Saturday. Biggest turnout to date... ;)

Raising children has a way to empty your pockets. Many of you out there know exactly what I am talking about. Also, have been there and done that.


giphy.gif
 
The 'hardware store hardware' comment was just that, a comment. If I say that the side cases on the old Kawasaki Concours look like Samsonite luggage......it's because.....well....... they look like Samsonite luggage. :rolleyes: I'm just saying it doesn't look like vehicle quality, or like it 'belongs', looks-wise, on the bike. It's not giving anyone a hard time about anything. I was just looking for latches, too, and though I liked the low profile of the hardware store ones, I just couldn't get myself to do it......

View attachment 13789

The thread you quoted is the one place where I will admit to being obtuse on this site. While I didn't specifically criticize your application, because I don't know how excessively bright it may or may not have been, I used the occasion to rant about a pet peeve -- blinding others. So since you invited me to continue the rant on THIS thread..... ;)

When someone modifies their vehicle so that it puts out much more light that it was legally allowed to do -- and often the owner has an attitude of "I don't care if you don't like it, my right to be seen is more important than your right to not be blinded by oncoming traffic" -- that's just selfishness. There are some folks who put HID bulbs into standard halogen-reflector headlights; HID reflectors are tuned to match the bulb, and if you put HID bulbs into halogen reflectors, it is brighter on the eyes of oncoming traffic. They project a different pattern.

The old 80's practice of leaving your headlights on high all the time for visibility was somewhat OK when it was the old technology with a weak single bulb (35/55w?). But have you ever had a Harley come at you with 3 headlights.....on high? "I don't care about you, you gotta see me, m-f'er!" Car headlights are targeted so that they point down the road, not into oncoming traffic, and your right headlight will actually be pointed a bit towards the shoulder. Some of the new pickups have fog lights that are brighter than their headlights and have a broader scatter than headlights. If no one else is around, and one of those vehicles comes toward me with both headlights AND fogs on -- more than double the light -- and it's clearly not anywhere near foggy or snowy -- I will give them my brights. Hey, if they think they have the right to blind oncoming traffic, I'll give them a dose back. But not if there are others around who would be annoyed. If the fogs are brighter than the headlights, and you've got all 4 of them on, that's considered 'high beams' to me. So occasionally I will give a dose of my high beams. Same with the newer Cherokees that have SIX lights on the front, if they've got the daytime running lamps AND the headlights AND the foglights on......when it's no where near foggy.

For my bike, I am actually considering putting a couple of small 'driving lights' on the fender, the kind that are just marker lights and not lights for illuminating the road ahead. Only because with a single headlight, it's difficult to judge the speed of an oncoming motorcycle in the dark. As the little pea-shooter 'fog' lights/driving lights on an 80's Pontiac, for example, don't contribute much to overall light output, I would only add lighting that wouldn't be offensive to oncoming traffic.

I personally wish that there were more regulations on vehicle lighting, and that law enforcement were given means to ticket those using excessive lighting (add-on lights, use of fogs when it's clearly not needed, etc.) Right now, I think about all you can be pulled over for would be those off-road light bars on trucks. I've seen idiots that think those are OK to use in public, too. Those LEDs are made for billboards, they scatter light in all directions indiscriminately. A turd running one of those on the street will get some high-beams from me, too (if no one else is around to offend.)

And I have good vision. The dazzle of bright headlights is worse for older folks with weaker eyes, though.

My GTI has foglights, and I never use them. Only once have I had someone give me the brights, and my car has stock (and well-tuned) HIDs. My car has 'cornering lights' that come on at slow speed when you're turning a sharp corner, like at an intersection. One elderly guy gave me the brights for that at an intersection, but the cornering light it's something I can't shut off. He probably thought I'd turned my brights on on him, but it was just this cornering light.

End rant. ;)

I'll give you something else for context..... I like going for late-night walks around town. I get tired of cars that don't turn their brights off for pedestrians, as if blinding pedestrians is more OK than blinding oncoming cars. No, the retinas are the same. Pedestrians often can't repay the favor, however. So recently I went to Cabelas and got a small high-powered LED flashlight. If I'm in visible colors and reflective bits on shoes and jacket and a car doesn't turn its brights off, I'll give 'em a shot of 280 lumens (and that's actually kind of midrange for these flashlights). If I'm all dressed in black, I don't blame the oncoming traffic for not seeing me. If I see a pedestrian, I always turn my brights down. 'Common' courtesy.
https://www.ledlenserusa.com/tt-426.html#start=13
I tryed to buy Connie latches for my NT but they are expensive. Connie latches are the best in the world....
13804
 
One of the nice things about the C-10 Connie's side bags is that a LOT of stuff fit in them. The worst thing about them was the cast-pot-metal "antler" that held them onto the bike. When the deer hit me in WV and wrapped around the bike, the right side pannier was ripped off the bike. No damage (except a slight scrape, which you couldn't identify for all the other slight scrapes), but the antler was broken. Fortunately I had add-on tip-over bars that used the antler as one of the attachment points and they gave it enough strength that I could still use the antler to get me home.


13809
 
Thanks to my visit to Brillot2000's, the immediate need of new rear brake pads was pointed out...I would like to think I would have heard the same thing he heard and would have been able to diagnose the issue...regardless, I am thankful.

Here was the state of my old, I assume original, pads @ 28,xxx miles:
13807


And the $5 tool that made it really easy without having to remove the saddlebag or muffler like others have suggested: (the picture is a link to Amazon)
13808

To push the pistons back into the caliper, I used my hands from the opposite side of the bike. I reached through my wheel, leveraged my knees against my tire and squeezed. I then used a screw diver to make room for the new pads. Cleaned and lubed the pin. Super easy job with the right tool. Please don't judge my lithium grease...it's all I got and better than nothing.

Brakes felt amazing for my commute this morning. I am one of those that relies heavily on my rear brake, especially at low speeds.

At my next opportunity I will be removing, inspecting, and possibly rotating my front pads. I read here that the right side wears faster then the left side....I will report back what I find.
 
Thanks to my visit to Brillot2000's, the immediate need of new rear brake pads was pointed out...I would like to think I would have heard the same thing he heard and would have been able to diagnose the issue...regardless, I am thankful.

Here was the state of my old, I assume original, pads @ 28,xxx miles

Glad I was able to be of help. When I heard you spin the rear wheel and the noise it made, I immediately know the pads were shot.

Both my granddad and father thought me to listen to the vehicle. It will give you signs before something is about to go south. That was the case with your rear brake pads.

The OEM brake pads have several smaller brake material pads. Most aftermarket one's construction is like the EBCs that you installed.
 
Glad I was able to be of help. When I heard you spin the rear wheel and the noise it made, I immediately know the pads were shot.

Both my granddad and father thought me to listen to the vehicle. It will give you signs before something is about to go south. That was the case with your rear brake pads.

The OEM brake pads have several smaller brake material pads. Most aftermarket one's construction is like the EBCs that you installed.
Makes sense. A good reminder to turn off the music in the ear buds once in a while.
 
Phil you really can't fault the designers for the bracket breaking when you go deer hunting with the saddlebag.
Kind of coincidental that a deer that sometimes wear antlers took out your Connie antler. Maybe it was in rut and in a fighting mood.

Brad
 
Phil you really can't fault the designers for the bracket breaking when you go deer hunting with the saddlebag.
Kind of coincidental that a deer that sometimes wear antlers took out your Connie antler. Maybe it was in rut and in a fighting mood.

Brad

I rise in defense of Phil. The pannier mount "antler" was a known weak feature of the Concours 1000. Many of them broke. However I do agree with you Brad, that deer hunting with a motorcycle is a real bad idea. And I'm sure Phil now knows that too.
 
Kind of coincidental that a deer that sometimes wear antlers took out your Connie antler. Maybe it was in rut and in a fighting mood.

As it happens, the WV deer was a doe. The Nathrop, CO, deer that shattered my left hand and did about $2700 damage to my NT was a buck, albeit the smallest buck you're ever likely to see in Colorado. I'm grateful for his miniscule size.
 
One of the nice things about the C-10 Connie's side bags is that a LOT of stuff fit in them. The worst thing about them was the cast-pot-metal "antler" that held them onto the bike. When the deer hit me in WV and wrapped around the bike, the right side pannier was ripped off the bike. No damage (except a slight scrape, which you couldn't identify for all the other slight scrapes), but the antler was broken. Fortunately I had add-on tip-over bars that used the antler as one of the attachment points and they gave it enough strength that I could still use the antler to get me home.


View attachment 13809
The bags were about perfect but I did have to install a small c clamp to keep the bags from flopping.
 
Norris, I wish you could have seen this forum a decade ago when it was really hoppin and Phil was thin! Many of us still have our NTs but have other bikes as well, or just stayed for the nice people. We have interesting rallys, too! View attachment 13794
I was there. That was my first Spearfish. The one with all the REI half dome tents. The NT camping area looked like a Clone convention with all the NTs and identical tents. Good times. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom