11th Nat'l NT Rally - Jun 23-26, 2021 - Spearfish, SD

Get on the bike and ZOOM to Spearfish, ZOOM to the world while at Spearfish, then ZOOM outta Spearfish! Sounds like a plan to me!

You are a good man, Jim. I helped people for 30 years....now its my time to kick back and enjoy life....
I need windows and shades and siding.....I need spearfish more.
I am not going to my grave saying, "Boy, if I could have just sent one more email about some someone's problems in the organizattion I volunteered to work for.....(Like my wife does)
I am going to my grave saying, "Boy, If I could have just heard one more of Phil's stories when I am half liquored up."

Wow! Thanks for all the comments. I'll really miss being there and the ride to and from also. Maybe I should have explained a little more.

I somehow became president of the WI Association for the Hearing Loss Association of America and their annual convention is the same days as NatSTOC. I'm sort of expected to attend. But it is on Zoom so I could attend from the campground. Still considering that.

We're putting in all new doors and windows in our 45-year old house next month and that is already scheduled.

Also replacing the deck.

I became the match director for our monthly NRL22 rifle matches and so I have to put on a shoot each month

And then there is the annual chore of making all the hay to keep my wife's poor darling horses from starving next winter. (also helps me to stay married).

Good thing I'm retired. I"ll have to start demonstrating more incompetence so folks don't ask me to do so much.

Don'tcha remember the Army? Never volunteer for nuffin'! Now ya' got yerself all comitted to so much stuff you can't even ride with yer buddies.

☹️

Mike

Well, at least it's productive stuff you've got and not medical issues or some sort of tragedy.

Don'tcha remember the Army? Never volunteer for nuffin'! Now ya' got yerself all comitted to so much stuff you can't even ride with yer buddies.

Mike

This ain’t the Army. Sometimes a person just has to step up and do something. AND we all stew our own soup and then complain about it.

Besides volunteering in the Army worked out well for me. First, while on my way to R&R from Viet Nam I was checking through the Company HQ and the first sergeant was having a fit because his clerk had rotated back to stateside. He asked "Can anybody here type?" I volunteer and did clerk work for about 2 days and he gave me 3 extra days R&R. Later I volunteered to put up a tent frame for some officers. When they found out I knew how to make rafter cuts and frame a structure they made me acting platoon sergeant of a construction platoon. No more sleeping in the jungle. Finally when I got back stateside I met up with that same first sergeant and he asked "Hey Rau, how would you like to be my clerk again?" Shure Top, I answered. Again, no KP, no guard duty, no inspections and weekends off for the rest of my military duty at Ft Carson. If you make senior NCOs happy they will take care of you.

And If I get the hay made early I wilt make it to Spearfish. But I can't imagine myself sitting in the pavilion watching a Zoom meeting while the rest of you guys are out riding. My body might be in the pavilion watching Zoom but my mind sure won't be. Now that's a time where I might just say NO to my job.

Besides, Mike, I know dang good and well you'd do the same thing if you were needed. 😀

Besides, Mike, I know dang good and well you'd do the same thing if you were needed. 😀

<sigh> yeah, you're right. I'll admit, I'm a sucker for volunteerin' too. I was a Boy Scout leader for 20+ years if that says anything.... I never learned to say no. Like you, volunteering paid off in the Marines too.... I took on some shitty duty at times but when I needed a favor or extra time off there was never a problem.

Mike

Ahh, priorities. I really like Chris’ comment “I need Spearfish more”.

The balancing act between home chores, duties, and volunteerism is constant at this stage of MY life.

Fortunately, some can be postponed. And, some can’t. I intend to make it to spearfish one way or another, cause I need it too.

Ahh, priorities. I really like Chris’ comment “I need Spearfish more”.

The balancing act between home chores, duties, and volunteerism is constant at this stage of MY life.

Fortunately, some can be postponed. And, some can’t. I intend to make it to spearfish one way or another, cause I need it too.

If given the choice between home chores, duties and a motorcycle trip, I will always choose the motorcycle trip for experience has taught me that invariably the home chores and duties are still there when I get back. Amazing how that works ain't it?

;)

Mike

If given the choice between home chores, duties and a motorcycle trip, I will always choose the motorcycle trip for experience has taught me that invariably the home chores and duties are still there when I get back. Amazing how that works ain't it?

;)

Mike

And getting all the home chores done is like filling a bottomless bucket. A friend asked me if was done cutting my firewood yet. I told him "No, I've been cutting firewood fro 60 years now and I'm still not done yet". But like Chris says, sometimes the choice isn't ours to make.

One final say (other than the fact that I was able to deficate today for the first time in 3 days...yahoo!).

I didnt know I would hurt my back in February....but thankfully, it healed once again. I had no idea on the 17th of May, I would find a hernia sticking out of my lower regions....I have no idea when the big C will strike me down. I dont know when the next SARS virus will strike again.....I do know that I have 9 vacations lined up and I intend to enjoy as much of what is left of my life as I can and not worry about other people's little problems. None of us are as important as we think we are. Graveyards are full of "indespensible men". You tell them you are going to spearfish and they can go on without you or reschedule. There are a bunch of people who need you at Spearfish....every day is a gift.
All of us have burried too many people who if given one more day on earth would NOT spend it on a zoom meeting....

I usually make it Spearfish about every two years. I didn't make it last year, and won't be able to make this year either. Simply can't take off work again, and potentially have Jury duty too.

Hope you guys have great weather and a good time. I will try again next year.

I usually make it Spearfish about every two years. I didn't make it last year, and won't be able to make this year either. Simply can't take off work again, and potentially have Jury duty too.

I'll miss you, Chris. If you miss too many of these things, you'll miss some of us. We're getting older and older and the year will come when we will never be there again. :cool:

I'll miss you, Chris. If you miss too many of these things, you'll miss some of us. We're getting older and older and the year will come when we will never be there again. :cool:
Attaboy Phil! Shame his ass into coming!

:rofl1:

Mike

Just tell work you have jury duty in SD...

Back
Top Bottom