Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
1145/16 = 71 mph
I’d say you did pretty well too.

I left an hour after you did and after 10 hours I stopped with only about 400 miles. I was TIRED!
I did sleep REALLY good last night. lol I don't know how some do that sorta thing back to back... I will say after 1.5 years off the bike the 1st 3 days was the toughest and this last day felt easier than those 600/450/320 days.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ken and I only rode a little over 200 miles. Windy and cool till Gillette. We took US14 out of Gillette, up past Spotted Horse. By the time we were to edge of Gillette, we knew we were om for some weather. We had gusts up to 50+ and hard rain, but it gradually slacked off and was down to a drizzle by Spotted Horse. Once we crossed the Powder River, the ride was absolutely beautiful. Through Clearmont and Ucross the grass was green and was one of the prettiest rides I can remember. But then the last 10-15 miles into Sheridan it rained pretty hard again.

We got excellent food via DoorDash last night and it rained off and on till about 7:30 and is looking pretty good today. We're taking 14 across the Big Horns and then heading south toward Thermopolis and Lander.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Thanks to all who rode to Spearfish for our socialization and riding again this year. And condolences to Mike for being stopped by a big flat tire. (Mike we did't eat your ice cream but we thought about it). Visiting with all of you helps "reset" my life's focus. On the last day I got the chance to move Phil's NT to a safer place and I got reminded how heavy the NTs are and why I traded for something 100 pounds lighter.

My ride home was quite a bit slower than Mellow's 1145 miles in 16 hours. I rode 400 miles the first day at a 44 mph pace and 385 the second day at a 48 mph pace. Farther/faster than that is out of my comfort and safety zone. (Sorry Phil, I can't remember where I ate).

For next year I am resolved, once again, to have a functional GPS (my last two efforts failed). And I'm going to ditch my heated vest for a heated jacket (that should assure that we have only hot weather).

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Sorry I missed it. I've got the new tire now. Maybe its serendipity or sumpin', but I didn't have any heated gear packed.

:eek:

Mike

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Phil and I are home at 7:00pm. Left Lander late morning and got in 2hours ago.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Frosty and I went to Buffalo the first night and then had a nice ride through Shell Canyon over the north Bighorn route. Stopped at Three Forks for the night. Got home today about 2 pm local.
Very hot the last 3 hours. Wonderful seeing everyone...missed you, K. Shell 2.jpg

Shell canyon.jpg

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
I arrived home last night at 7:25 pm after 1112 miles in 3 days.

Trust me. A dual sport bike WILL get the job done, but it ain’t comfy. The seat was the primary problem, and wind protection almost as much. Even though 300 cc delivered nearly 74 mpg overall, I will probably trailer it to Spearfish next year and only do local rides.

My trip home was the coldest and rainiest in the last 8 years. I called it a day early Sunday afternoon in Fairplay at 44 degrees with steady rain. Monday morning it was 39 degrees. Without heated gear, I had on every piece of clothing available.

Because I quit early Sunday, it left 492 miles to get home Monday. A very long day’s ride with sore butt syndrome, fighting strong winds the whole day. Ugh.

Sure enjoyed the time together with the bunch, and even found it educational (thanks, Chris!). Just wish we all lived closer, but then it wouldn’t be “special”. Hasta la vista!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I hope to make it next year. I did get stuck on a 3 day criminal trial for Jury Duty, not to mention work. Just couldn't' get free this year.

Yoda,
I rode my DR650 everywhere!!! Including a trip that was almost 3 weeks and covered over 5300 miles. It also made two Spearfish trips. It was equipped with a Seat concepts seat and screen just big enough to take the pressure off my chest though. I would be surprised if they did not make a seat for your new Rally 300.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ken and I were in strong winds from Spearfish to Gillette and it was cold! Of course my heated jacket was in the pannier and all my vents were unzipped on the 'Stitch. We stopped for gas in Gillette and I zipped them up and put on my heated jacket. About 8-10 miles north of Gillette we hit a squall line and were in very strong winds. I'm sure we were hitting gusts of over 50, but they were coming right at us and weren't too hard to handle. By the time we got to Spotted horse the rain had slacked off to a drizzle. After we crossed the Powder River, it stopped and we were in one of the prettiest area I've seen. Whitmeyer Creek was running full and grass was green. I saw a couple of deer and lots of cows and calves and it looked like spring in late June. We went through Ucross (Jim you and I stopped at a little chapel there in '13). The Ucross Foundation built the town and it's part of a 22,000 acre ranch. The rancher donated the land and funded it as a refuge for artists of all kinds -- writers, painters, sculptors, musicians, poets, you name it. They get 2-6 wks stay, each in their own house, with full meals, and time for solitude and group activities. Some get up to six months for special projects.

About 15 miles out of Spearfish, it started raining again, and then stopped less than a mile from our motel. We used DoorDash that night to get food delivered and had a good meal. It rained off an on during the night. When it stopped, we piddled around till close to 11, got gas, and headed north on 90 till we got off on 14 and rode up into the Big Horns. It was fairly cold on top (down to 51F just as we started down Shell Canyon -- but the men riding their Harleys were still in short-sleeved t-shirts. I wish I was a manly man. o_O). Shell Canyon is a beautiful ride and by the time we got out it was up to nearly 80. We rode to Thermopolis and stopped for a late lunch and then on to Lander where we stayed at the Pronghorn Rodeway Inn. We went to their restaurant and ended up having beer-battered shrimp and good red chili along with margaritas.

We left there after breakfast the next morning and it was in the low 60s. It got down into the 50s as we rode 287 through nearly-defunct Jeffery City (which during the mid-70s was a uranium boom town), to Muddy Gap and onto Rawlins. We were on I-80 for a short distance and then turned south to go through Saratoga and down to Walden. We stopped there for gas and then on down Poudre Canyon on CO-14 to Ft Collins and then home.

It was a great ride and it was good to be home. At least it was good for a couple of hours. Then I got sick to my stomach and was up and down all night. I finally got to sleep around 6:30 and slept till I got up at 4PM! I've got some pictures I'll post later.

It was good to see everyone and I want to thank Jim for moving my bike off the wet soft grass for me. I have to agree that the NT is too heavy. But everything else about is just perfect for me...and it's a lot lighter than my '99 Concours.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I hope to make it next year. I did get stuck on a 3 day criminal trial for Jury Duty, not to mention work. Just couldn't' get free this year.

Yoda,
I rode my DR650 everywhere!!! Including a trip that was almost 3 weeks and covered over 5300 miles. It also made two Spearfish trips. It was equipped with a Seat concepts seat and screen just big enough to take the pressure off my chest though. I would be surprised if they did not make a seat for your new Rally 300.
I am glad Yoda likes his bike cause someone has to. :rofl1: The DR650 is a Goldwing next to it. The seat gives the name "Ironbutt" a whole new meaning. Maybe someone will come up with a seat or seat cover. Right now its an off road bike with enough dodahs to be street legal. Artemedes, watch for a PM from me. Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
After two days on the road, I’m in Laramie, WY tonite. I’ve been following the good roads on Butler Maps, and enjoying them all the way!
This was a stop for “Battle Mountain” lookout that I had to myself:
5CECDD74-D785-4F42-979F-79ACBE3E9BD4.jpeg
No offense, my friend, but Dual sport is kind of a stretch. Its a dirt bike you can ride carefully on the pavement. It gives the name "Enduro" a whole new meaning.
But I am smiling....someone had a great bike just to the left of my head!
smiling.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Mellow, thanks for the info on the Big angnes air matress/blow up doll inflator! I chose one with advertised phone charge function and it takes multiple presses of the button to turn on so it wont accidently turn on going down the road. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VRBWWDM/ref=emc_b_5_i

Attachments

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Mellow, thanks for the info on the Big angnes air matress/blow up doll inflator! I chose one with advertised phone charge function and it takes multiple presses of the button to turn on so it wont accidently turn on going down the road. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VRBWWDM/ref=emc_b_5_i
No problem, I'm very happy with how mine aired up my large exped mattress 4 times and then 2 or 3 other mattresses in demo-mode lol... all on one charge... it's a keeper and much easier to use than the exped snozzle bag thing.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Thanks for the info about SeatConcepts. I checked, and they are developing a seat. It will be available in 8-10 weeks. WAY less expensive than a RDL, but probably no where near as comfortable. I hope to have it for next year’s trip. Gracias!

Top Bottom