13th Nat'l NT Rally - Jun 21-24, 2023 - Spearfish, SD

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Joe my Dr told me a few years ago that I have cataracts. I asked her how long it might be until I’d need surgery. She say “Oh, maybe not in your lifetime “. Then as I was leaving the clinic I thought - did that mean my cataracts aren’t bad or that I’d die soon. Poor choice of words.
You would be one of the first people I know who did not have cataract surgury or have it mentioned in the upcoming future. You picked the right parents! I am trying to decide about maybe next year or the year after,,,,,

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Too much time outdoors exposed to UV I suppose. Had surgery in both eyes to implant 20/20 IOL lenses in January, 2018 at age 70.

Eye doctor tried his best to convince me to continue being moderately nearsighted after surgery. I stood my ground. Lovin’ 20/20 vision without glasses. Only time I need correction now is to read. Best thing ever.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Too much time outdoors exposed to UV I suppose. Had surgery in both eyes to implant 20/20 IOL lenses in January, 2018 at age 70.

Eye doctor tried his best to convince me to continue being moderately nearsighted after surgery. I stood my ground. Lovin’ 20/20 vision without glasses. Only time I need correction now is to read. Best thing ever.
Wonder why the doc said that? Did he give a reason? I have a phobia about eyesight....when I developed Presbyopia (occurs when the lens of the eye stiffens, making it much harder to focus on anything up close. As you reach middle age, the lens starts to lose its elasticity, and it becomes more difficult for the muscles to bend. Since it's that bend that helps to control our focus, the less the flexibility, the less focus.) it was a real downer...then I heard Paul Harvey say Varilux no line trifocals (progressive lenses) were the only progressive lenses allowed by the US Navy for aging carrier pilots, so I tried them and oh man, they changed my life....the idea of someone removing my lenses and putting in new ones is terrifing.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I had lense replacement in both eyes at 45. Almost 25 years later I still have better than 20/20 vision with no changes. I would never consider going back to contacts. The only downside, if there is one, is I do wear readers when I do a lot reading. That is nothing compared to the hassle of contacts...or "needing" my glasses all the time.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had cataract surgery in both eyes in '17 and have been glad I did it. I still wear trifocals (not the progressive ones) but don't correction for distance in them.
I don't regret it. The biggest deal about getting them done was keeping all the drops before and after the surgery straight.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
In 2018, my single focal length IOL lenses were covered by Medicare ( with co-pay ).

Multi-focal lenses, or astigmatism correction were IIRC, $3,000 per eye upgrade. I passed.

My wife (who only has one eye) just had cataract surgery in February this year. They waited as long as possible before advising surgery, just in case of a bad outcome. But, her vision is now excellent! She wishes that she could have done it earlier.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have an appointment in August to have mine done. I noticed I was having issues seeing signs at distance and reading small print was becoming more difficult. I thought it was just time to get a new prescription for my glasses. I was surprised to find out the issues was I had developed cataracts. I am 72. My wife had her cataracts removed a couple of years ago so I am somewhat familiar with the process.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
In 2018, my single focal length IOL lenses were covered by Medicare ( with co-pay ).

Multi-focal lenses, or astigmatism correction were IIRC, $3,000 per eye upgrade. I passed.

My wife (who only has one eye) just had cataract surgery in February this year. They waited as long as possible before advising surgery, just in case of a bad outcome. But, her vision is now excellent! She wishes that she could have done it earlier.
Pretty much what my optometrist said....they do one eye at a time in case something goes wrong...so at least you have one eye that works......but there is only a 1-2 percent failure rate so its pretty low.....

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Recently got a floater in left side of left eye. Now I keep checking peripheral vision.
Getting old is not for sissies ...

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I often had floaters for a while but now they seem gone perhaps due to my having cataract surgery?
I have had floaters in both eyes for a number of years...my eye doc says its wise to come to him within the first 48 hours in case they need to do surgery for a torn retina. Most of the time, they dont.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I had floaters, mainly in my left eye, that I noticed on I-25 north of Casper, when I was on my way to Spokane to pick up Horse from Empire Cycle. They continued off and on for another year or so. The other things I've had are optical migraines. There is no pain or discomfort with them, but I'll have a blurry spot in my vision that lasts about 10-15 minutes. I'm still glad I had the cataract surgery.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I had floaters, mainly in my left eye, that I noticed on I-25 north of Casper, when I was on my way to Spokane to pick up Horse from Empire Cycle. They continued off and on for another year or so. The other things I've had are optical migraines. There is no pain or discomfort with them, but I'll have a blurry spot in my vision that lasts about 10-15 minutes. I'm still glad I had the cataract surgery.
I have odd eye "events" also. You know when you go to the eye doc and you do the "field of vison" test where you hit a clicker when you see a little patch of squiggley lines? sometimes I see those lines here and there and it matters not if I close my eyes or not or just one eye....sometimes, I have some blurryness for a few minutes, but not for long and not often.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have odd eye "events" also. You know when you go to the eye doc and you do the "field of vison" test where you hit a clicker when you see a little patch of squiggley lines? sometimes I see those lines here and there and it matters not if I close my eyes or not or just one eye....sometimes, I have some blurryness for a few minutes, but not for long and not often.
I've heard of that, it's called "optofemiasianitis". It's a rare disease that pretty much affects older men who have a fetish fer asian wimmen!

😏

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
After looking at the rainy forecast I'm facing on my ride home from Spearfish I began to consider doing some "extra credit" riding around out west after Spearfish (from Saturday until it quits raining). No destination, no time schedule, no firm commitments. Anyone else interested in trying to keep up with this rigorous plan?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Sorry to say I am not going to make it up to Spearfish this year. The wife needs to go in on Thursday for a couple of biopsies on her thyroid. Not a big deal but I decided I need to be with her for the procedure and results. You all have fun, be safe and say hi to Frosty and Chris for me.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Sorry to say I am not going to make it up to Spearfish this year. The wife needs to go in on Thursday for a couple of biopsies on her thyroid. Not a big deal but I decided I need to be with her for the procedure and results. You all have fun, be safe and say hi to Frosty and Chris for me.
Chuck,I think you made the right decision. So many of here on this forum have medical stuff going on ourselves and in our families. Families come first - always.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Well, I'm finally admitting that there's no way I can make it to Spearfish. I've got a battery that Ken Malone is going to install for me (I can't use tools since I shattered my hand when I hit that deer on my to Tombstone). But today is the first day we haven't had rain and I haven't ridden since '21. Maybe next year.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Chuck,
Sorry to hear that you will not make it, but understandable.

Top Bottom