13th Nat'l NT Rally - Jun 21-24, 2023 - Spearfish, SD

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Got home around noon as expected. The last 150-200 miles were challenging though - rain, wind, fog, and falling temperatures and heavy traffic. Had to take evasive action when an oncoming driver was passing a long line of cars in terrible conditions. I went to the gravel shoulder and the car behind me did the same. The offending driver just kept passing the cars in the other lane.

Overall one day hot and 6 days rainy (2 very rainy). But it was sure good to visit with all the friends there. We re-defined "all day breakfast" at Perkins. I had a very memorable day riding across SD with a 20 mph tailwind for once.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Sunny warm day. Arrived safely at the National museum of military vehicles. Owner gave us a tour of the Korean war section. 73 years ago today, it started.
IMG_20230625_135404323_HDR_copy_1174x1116.jpg

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
This museum is relatively new. Dan Starks, the founder is an amazing person. The museum is the backdrop to remember those who served under extreme circumstances.

National Military Vehicle Museum

Google Dan Starks and appreciate that he takes time to be a tour guide for two hours. BTW, he really is a good one.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yep, Andy from the ST site and lives in Houston, this is his June ride map and the event was his stop as he does most years before heading west.

1687783259030.png

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
A question for the tent campers...? Did everyone get their tent down before the hail storm? If not how did the tents fare in a hail storm. The only time I was in a tent in a hail storm the tent was a US Army issue GP-Medium tent that did fine. It would take some serious hail to punch through that canvas. The hail did make an interesting sound bouncing around on the canvas. My last commercial tent wouldn't have lasted 10 seconds before it would have been Swiss cheese and bent aluminum.:oops:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
A question for the tent campers...? Did everyone get their tent down before the hail storm? If not how did the tents fare in a hail storm. The only time I was in a tent in a hail storm the tent was a US Army issue GP-Medium tent that did fine. It would take some serious hail to punch through that canvas. The hail did make an interesting sound bouncing around on the canvas. My last commercial tent wouldn't have lasted 10 seconds before it would have been Swiss cheese and bent aluminum.:oops:
Actually, in 2021 I think we had some hail also, it just bounces off tents.. would be more concerned w/bike plastic vs tents... That big pavilion has come in handy in the past.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
No issues. I have a Eureka midori 3 and it kept the water out

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
JMTC. My bike has been knocked over In a parking lot and a friend's at a motel. If you are going to cover up your reflectors with a black cover, stick some reflective tape on it. Night can be dark.IMG_20230626_203642868_copy_731x379.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Home again. 400 mile ride from Challis ID. 2000+ total. Just a bit of rain the last 2 days. Avoided rude underachiever drivers. Salmon river valley was nice. Missoula surface traffic out of control mid day.
IMG_20230627_090428263_HDR_copy_706x744.jpg
IMG_20230627_162029402_HDR_copy_631x533.jpg

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
No issues with tent. It was a new (just like my old one) tent when I started the trip.

I'm aware of only one tent failure. It was an old tent and the loops that engage the poles tore letting the water in. The owner told me the next AM that the tent situation was good and bad. The good part was that the bottom didn't leak - the bad news was that the top did leak. He had 3"of water in the bottom after the storm. He slept on a picnic table in the pavilion that night.

I've spent a lot of time in a GP Medium. Not fond memories. Worse yet I spent many more nights in the jungle in a "hooch" consisting of two ponchos snapped together, sleeping on an air mattress with a poncho liner. That Army air mattress was amazing. I used it on the ground for about 6 months in the jungle and it never leaked at all. I still like those poncho liners. I always take one camping with me.

See tent covered with shredded leaves and piles of hail.

IMG_1271.jpeg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My experience has been that money invested in a quality tent is money well spent. I have been using Eureka! tents for a long time and they have always kept me dry. I always get tickled at campgrounds in the morning after a good rain.... you can always tell who had a Wal-Mart tent. In tents, like anything else, you get what you pay for.
;)
YMMV,

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Some of us are a bit soft (me). Sleeping in a tent in pouring rain and hail does not sound like much fun. Glad you had the pavilion to stay under and reconnect with other bikers. Hard for me to imagine myself in a tent in those conditions when there are motel rooms with hardened roofs and soft mattresses nearby.

Arknt

Top Bottom