Adventure Bike for Inseam Challenged? Tiger 900 GT LHR

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I was on my way home and pulled into a dealer that I normally do not visit. I looked thru their used bikes and found nothing that I would be interested in. A nice mature, petite grey haired, woman staff member was telling an older gentleman that she rode a lowered 800 and did not like it, but the 900 was totally different. I wandered over and she told me to get on.

What magic is this? An "Adventure" bike that I could flat foot wearing sports shoes and it seemed to fit me? It is a 2020 Tiger 900 GT LHR. Three cylinder, 93.9 hp, 64.1 ft lbs torque, 426 lbs, cruise control, heated grips ... The lowered suspension felt much lower than the advertised 29.9 - 30.7 inch seat height.

She said that I should take it for a ride ... I managed to flee just in time. This one may haunt me.

1594945408023.jpeg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
What magic is this? An "Adventure" bike that I could flat foot wearing sports shoes and it seemed to fit me? It is a 2020 Tiger 900 GT LHR. Three cylinder, 93.9 hp, 64.1 ft lbs torque, 426 lbs, cruise control, heated grips ... The lowered suspension felt much lower than the advertised 29.9 - 30.7 inch seat height.

She said that I should take it for a ride ... I managed to flee just in time. This one may haunt me.
Hmmmmm....sounds like JJ may have some company in the near future.... I detect a future Turnip owner in the making...

🤑

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I was very impressed with the one I road. The lowered version had two seat positions. At the time, you couldn't get an OEM center stand. The price was also way up their and a poor dealer network drove me to the Suzuki. I think you need to ride it.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
In this market you might make a great deal. The Suzy was the right choice for this tour for me. Lots of stopping and rubber necking. That is a sharp looking bike. Wonder if they would take an FJR in on trade?

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I started to read the fine print. The 426 lbs was dry weight. The 5.28 gals of fuel would add 33 lbs. Add 6 lbs for oil and the bike is at 465 lbs only 5 lbs lighter than the F800GT. Still pretty good if I don't have to change bars, seat, pegs. etc. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Boy howdy! If I had a spare $15 grand +, I'd be all over that! Looks like a really neat bike!

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
That's pretty cool... the ride height of the Tracer doesn't bother me too much... I can't flat foot but I haven't been able to flat foot anything since the Valkyrie I think and maybe not even that lol.. If they would have had this one when I was looking and ended up w/Tracer I might have gotten it instead. You do get bags with the Tracer GT but they are very small compared to what you would add on to the Tiger so the price is probably comparable...

Show us some pics when you get it Jim.. hurry, the snow is coming and you gotta make a decison before it gets here.

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
I have seen the LHR and was surprised by how low it is. I'm 5'8 with 33 inch inseam. I have a 2016 africa twin (standard, as opposed to the adv model) with DCT. I can flat foot it with the Honda Low seat (hard and uncomfortable) in the low position. I use an Air Seat Innovations pad to make it comfortable. The weight feels high. Wet weight is 535, add side cases with tubes, tools, compressor, rain gear, crash bars etc and I'd guess its about 575. I'll ride it anywhere a minivan can go. I would struggle to pick it up. It has 94 HP also and its riding weight is 100 pounds more than the LHR. The only reason I have the AT instead of the triumph is because it has DCT.

Lance

Directly above the Center of the Earth
Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
That shop is great, and Both of them Gals love riding and totally into the bike scene
they use to host a bike night hotdogs and soda.
She was trying to entice me to ride it as well

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
OK. you guys are running out of ex uses to not buy a new bike. I've been very happy with my Tiger even though there are. some negative reviews. And - yes - the dealer network sux.

What could be wrong with a 426# motorcycle with 93 hp?

That new one is 50# lighter than my Tiger 800 and lower. That adds up to much easier maneuvering by hand. Tigers have come in regular and low versions and each one has a 2-position seat. I don't know if they finally got a center stand to work the low version. SOMEBODY out there has got to buy one of these guys. The economy needs your $$$$. Chuck Henderson is overdue to buy a new bike.

Last edited:
Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
I rode the Tiger 900 and liked it a LOT. It handles well and has all the bells and whistles you could ever want and the engine feels and sounds great. I just couldn't bring myself to part with that many $$$.

My Sprint has been bulletproof for 50,000 miles. The Triumph dealership network sucks, but the Ducati one is even worse.

I'm 6'2" with long legs, so I hunt for tall bikes. My Multistrada is definitely not for the vertically challenged - I have to really stretch to swing my leg over with the saddlebags on.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
That shop is great, and Both of them Gals love riding and totally into the bike scene
they use to host a bike night hotdogs and soda.
She was trying to entice me to ride it as well
I think she is a pilot?

Lance

Directly above the Center of the Earth
Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
yes she is
by the way do you know how to tell if there is a pilot in the room
Dont worry they will tell you

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The June 2020 issue of "Road Runner, Motorcycle Touring and Travel" has a test/eval of the Triumph Tiger 900 but it has a towering seat height of 32"+ so I guess the LTR is a newer model?

ps. I'm happy to see a manufacturer finally addressing the short inseam crowd. :)

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
The June 2020 issue of "Road Runner, Motorcycle Touring and Travel" has a test/eval of the Triumph Tiger 900 but it has a towering seat height of 32"+ so I guess the LTR is a newer model?
ps. I'm happy to see a manufacturer finally addressing the short inseam crowd. :)
The Tiger 900 is a new model introduced Dec 2019 and released in Mar 2020. I am not sure that there are any accessories available yet.
The 900 GT LHR has a lowered suspension and low seat which makes the seat height "adjustable 29.92 – 30.70 inches, which is 1.96 inches lower than the standard Tiger 900 GT." They also narrowed the 900 aft part of the tank to reduce inseam arc. I will take another look at this bike.

Adventure Bike or Sport Touring? Are Adventure Touring and Sport Touring motorcycle categories now overlapped? BMW has a new Adventure Bike, the F900 XR. They list it as an Adventure bike, but they are still selling the GS line. The BMW R 1250RT is the smallest BMW Touring bike, no F800/900 GT. The F900XR has comparable numbers to the Triumph: 99 HP, 68 ft#, 483 # (WET), Low suspension model with low seat 30.5", std 32.5".
https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/adventure/f900xr.html

Think the Japanese companies might follow? :unsure:

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I took the NT to the Triumph dealer to test ride their 2020 Tiger 900 GT LHR. I rode it for 30+ miles, but decided that I liked it very early on. It fit me and was very smooth and responsive. Since I rode the NT down, by comparison, it felt very light and quick. It was late by the time the paperwork was done so I just rode it home.

It is Magic! I turned my silver NT into a red Triumph.
1595557178035.jpeg

Sorry about the bad photography.
1595557252943.jpeg
1595557279290.jpeg

With a 7" tablet instead of gauges, I was afraid it would feel like riding a cell phone. Not so, very easy to use.
1595557414701.jpeg

Just when my day could not get better, free (???) Triumph Swag: Backpack, zipper portfolio, lock tumblers for luggage, key fob. :giggle:
1595557682694.jpeg

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Looks great, Frosty! I may have to go up to Ft Collins and take a look at one. I seriously doubt I'll buy one, but this is the first bike I've seen that tempts me!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I knew it! I just knew it!! Can I call 'em or what!!?? Congrats on the new scoot, looks like a beauty. What are your plans for luggage?

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
With 44% more hp and 25% less weight it was certain to feel better than the NT. It will feel heavier and less responsive when you hang the mounts and panniers on it. I know there is a big difference when I ride my 2016 800 with the panniers off. And I can see they fixed a bunch of stuff that I don't like about mine, particularly the windshield and dash display. I'm sure you've read the break-in instructions telling you to keep the RPMs down for the first 1000 miles. That's kind of hard to do with a motor that is so willing to just keep pulling so willingly.

Enjoy your new ride. And take that tall guy (what's-his-name) with you.

Top Bottom