Adventure Bike for Inseam Challenged? Tiger 900 GT LHR

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
That's for sure! I added up the price of the farkles already installed and it was a major factor in buying that particular bike. It would have cost me over $3000 to buy it myself.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Wow! Thanks for the pictures! What a great-looking bike. Are the crash-bars and luggage mounts from Triumph? It looks wider than the NT with big lids. Is it?

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
The handgrips are 33". The mirrors and handguards are 36". The cases are 40" with both 20" from center.
I have to remember the back sticks out 4" wider than the front. Gas pumps come to mind. :)

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Those cases definitely originally came from Givi. My top case is a clone of your left side case minus the stripes.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Those panniers can hold lots of 6 packs. And if the bike takes a nap to Port, it rolls back up again! Very nice looking bike.

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Those cases definitely originally came from Givi. My top case is a clone of your left side case minus the stripes.
They are made for Triumph by Givi (Trekker 46 l and 33 l). Triumph sells them cheaper :unsure:. The stripes are just reflective tape that I added. Rolls are available on Amazon. The cases came with a cheap stick on side reflector. The tape on the highest part of the side is helpful if you happen to put the bike on it's side for some reason. :rolleyes: Peel the old off and put new on. :)

Besides, campgrounds and parking lots can be dark.

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I thought they were exactly the same with the exception of the stamped name. I was wrong! The Givi rep said that he thought there was a minor difference in the mounting. I was at the dealer today and asked to try their Givi case. It is identical except the latching notch is about 1/2" lower.

So they are not interchangeable. Very annoying. BMW does a bit of that too.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
This and the bmw f 850 gsa are on mmy short list for my next bike either next year or in 2 years.

Any updates?

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I put 4,800 miles on the bike since new at the end of Jul. Total ave mileage is 50.4 MPG. I can't think of anything that I would do differently. The bike worked great on the trip to S Utah. The custom seat helps. The longest day was 400+ warm and windy miles from Montpelier, ID to Moab UT. It was a long day, but the bike was solid. I don't know if the motor is as smooth as I expected from a 3 cylinder. They fooled with the firing order to increase torque. It does have great torque throughout rpm, downshifting not required. Center stand is not an option for the LHR. I installed a center stand from the standard model option. It takes some effort to put it up, but much easier to service the chain and check tire. My old Garmin GPS has a TPMS, so I screwed the sensors on the 90 degree OEM metal tire stems.

I bought a BT OBD II gizmo that let me reset the Service reminder with my Android tablet. I prefer fresh oil in the bike during Winter rest. The dealer will still do the required checks.

Looking forward to riding it to Spearfish next year. 😁

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I put 4,800 miles on the bike since new at the end of Jul. Total ave mileage is 50.4 MPG. I can't think of anything that I would do differently. The bike worked great on the trip to S Utah. The custom seat helps. The longest day was 400+ warm and windy miles from Montpelier, ID to Moab UT. It was a long day, but the bike was solid. I don't know if the motor is as smooth as I expected from a 3 cylinder. They fooled with the firing order to increase torque. It does have great torque throughout rpm, downshifting not required. Center stand is not an option for the LHR. I installed a center stand from the standard model option. It takes some effort to put it up, but much easier to service the chain and check tire. My old Garmin GPS has a TPMS, so I screwed the sensors on the 90 degree OEM metal tire stems.

I bought a BT OBD II gizmo that let me reset the Service reminder with my Android tablet. I prefer fresh oil in the bike during Winter rest. The dealer will still do the required checks.

Looking forward to riding it to Spearfish next year. 😁
Thanks, Will be good to see you in Spearfish and hear more about it.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Frosty - My NC700X is lowered but I still have a standard centerstand from the S-model. I made a simple helper by using about a 4" x 12" piece of plywood that I place in front of the rear tire then roll the bike onto the plywood. Now, it's much easier to get the bike up on the centerstand! :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
We'll look forward to seeing it...and you...at Spearfish. Of course that's if SD still has any people left alive. I'm sure they'll resist the the vaccination as much as they've resisted masks.

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Frosty - My NC700X is lowered but I still have a standard centerstand from the S-model. I made a simple helper by using about a 4" x 12" piece of plywood that I place in front of the rear tire then roll the bike onto the plywood. Now, it's much easier to get the bike up on the centerstand! :)
Good idea for home. With my boots on, I can get it up on the center stand, but I have to unload the bike before putting it up. While traveling, I put it up on the center stand to service chain or check the tire. I also put it on the center stand and cover at night when on the road. There is no reasonable way to shorten that center stand.

I am planning on Spearfish with the Triumph. :)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The first ("K0" in Hondaspeak) plywood helper I made was narrow enough to easily fit into the bottom of the Givi side box. I haven't tried that with my "K1" version of the helper because l stopped long distance travel when the pandemic arrived. Up until November, I was still riding at least once a week and they were usually 100-150 mile day rides.

Yes, I agree about some centerstands being difficult to shorten because the centerstand for my NC700X is that way. By comparison, the centerstand on the NC700V was easy to shorten.

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Thanks Tosh, that could work for me since the bottom of the left case is 10" wide. I do like to load the bike on the centerstand.

The centerstand for the Tiger 900GT was too big of a challenge to shorten. I think the Tiger 900GT centerstand was a shortened version of the taller factory 900 Rally. They share the same frame but a longer suspension (?)

To take a small section above the cross bar and keep the pin distance/ alignment the same would be difficult. There may be clearance issues as well. The plywood is definitely easier.

For the NT700, there was some speculation that using the centerstand when operating the panniers reduced latch problems. Other than a spring becoming detached, I never had any problems with mine. (I also opened the latch when I closed them and gave some final pressure to feel the click.)

Phil was there when the owner of Empire Cycles just gave an NT700 pannier a slam. I may have been a little quick to mention not to do that. :rolleyes:

1608226463552.png

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Thanks Tosh, that could work for me since the bottom of the left case is 10" wide. I do like to load the bike on the centerstand.

The centerstand for the Tiger 900GT was too big of a challenge to shorten. I think the Tiger 900GT centerstand was a shortened version of the taller factory 900 Rally. They share the same frame but a longer suspension (?)

To take a small section above the cross bar and keep the pin distance/ alignment the same would be difficult. There may be clearance issues as well. The plywood is definitely easier.

For the NT700, there was some speculation that using the centerstand when operating the panniers reduced latch problems. Other than a spring becoming detached, I never had any problems with mine. (I also opened the latch when I closed them and gave some final pressure to feel the click.)

Phil was there when the owner of Empire Cycles just gave an NT700 pannier a slam. I may have been a little quick to mention not to do that. :rolleyes:

1608226463552.png
Maybe you can cut off and re-weld the tabs at the bottom, that touch the ground... might be good for an inch and not mess with the rest of the contact points.

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Maybe. The kick down leg reinforcement is attached just above the pad weld. In the end, a work around was easier.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The one thing that drives me a bit crazy(er)... is the 12,000 mile valve check interval vs what most Japanese bike intervals - usually twice as long. Valve checks on the Valkyrie and Wings I've had in a past were child's play... Now it's metal origami.

I saw a video on the Tiger 800 and they had made the side frame opening large enough to slide the valve cover off sideways instead of having to maneuver it upwards. My previous Super Tenere was a chore just to get 1/4 inch of extra movement and get the valve cover off.

IMG_20161207_090454[1].jpg

Top Bottom